Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New car...possibly delayed.

Views : 2751

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2018, 18:20   #1
Crockers
Premier Member

Default New car...possibly delayed.

Dropped my car off (p/x) with the dealer yesterday as tomorrow we're off to Canada & USA for 6 weeks. (Many thanks to Simondrake for all his input)

Dealer informed me that there may be a delay on the new car. Seems stock is very slow getting through to UK. He suspects that EU is preferable market due to weakness of Sterling. Has anyone else been told similar. Will be mightily annoyed if we return from hols with no car ready.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 20:19   #2
Goodshot

Called dealers yesterday for an update on mine. The delivery date is scheduled for 14th September on an early May order.

Have good holiday.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 20:33   #3
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Crockers
Was in contact with my dealer this afternoon to check that my dates have not moved........and was pleased that after he checked his systems that the date has in fact moved forward!
Order Created Date - 04/05/18
First Indicated Delivery Date - 25/09/18 (Now revised to 07/09/18)
These dates are all from printed Volvo Dealer Order data sheets so are genuine system generated records........until they are “regenerated” with different values.

So two scenarios:
1. I have nicked your order..........!, or........
2. Your dealer being aware that you are away for many weeks has taken advantage of that fact & swapped your order with another with a delivery date nearer your return to satisfy their own sales requirements.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 10:21   #4
AdamC86

Just got an update on mine. Ordered end of May, delivery still due 28th August. Not picking it up until 1st September though, obviously...
AdamC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 19:48   #5
Ringthane
VOC Member

The main reason I bought a private plate was to get away from the tyranny of new plate syndrome.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 21:44   #6
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
The main reason I bought a private plate was to get away from the tyranny of new plate syndrome.
Got a call today to say mine was brought forward from November to end September. Almost too soon for me.

BTW, where is a good place to look for private plates?
macklij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 23:03   #7
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklij View Post
I would start on the DVLA website and put in your preferred letters to see what pops up.

Next step is the DVLA auction there should be a link on the original page.

If you look on the dealer websites you will be charged VAT and the DVLA transfer fee in addition to the cost if the plate.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 23:18   #8
Ringthane
VOC Member

Quote:
Yep. Definitely DVLA to start with.

The DVLA auction site has the most interesting plates, because the DVLA skim off all the tasty ones, to make the most money from them.

My plate, which I bought in 1996, isn’t anything interesting, like my initials, or my name, or birthday, just one that doesn’t have any particular year designator.
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 08:32   #9
AdamC86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
I used to work for the country’s largest private plate dealer, and the registration month of your car still affects the value greatly, I’m afraid. It’ll still either be an 08 or 68 registered car and one will be worth a lot more than the other. Plus now the expense of your private plate on top of that.

New plate ‘syndrome’ isn’t about things looking new and shiny or showing off — it’s the simple fact that buying an 08 car in August is going to lose you money when you come to sell (or hand back, if you do leases).
AdamC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 11:26   #10
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC86 View Post
I used to work for the country’s largest private plate dealer, and the registration month of your car still affects the value greatly, I’m afraid. It’ll still either be an 08 or 68 registered car and one will be worth a lot more than the other. Plus now the expense of your private plate on top of that.

New plate ‘syndrome’ isn’t about things looking new and shiny or showing off — it’s the simple fact that buying an 08 car in August is going to lose you money when you come to sell (or hand back, if you do leases).
Can you explain how it makes a difference to lease cars when there is no part exchange value since you are just handing the car back to lease another 1. The only way I can see it affecting lease cars are if you lease 1 in September it will cost less on the lease cost.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote