Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1969 volvo amazon B20A engine issue

Views : 561

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2019, 11:20   #1
Jens Vermeulen

Default 1969 volvo amazon B20A engine issue

Hi

About 1,5 years ago i bought a well restored volvo amazon.
It has recently developed a engine issue.
I can best describe the issue as the engine holding or pushing back when accelerating.
To me it seems that the fuel mixture is igniting before the cylinder is at top dead center.
The engine can be completely fine one day and the next day this issue can occure.
I often drive my car (sits for max 2 weeks)
Things i have already done:
Replaced oil
replaced condensator and spark distributor (low spark issue)
this last item was done by a garage, they also tuned the pre ignition
after that it was fine again but reoccured after a week or two.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Jens Vermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:47   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Do this first. SPLIT CARB DIAPHRAGM. Replace even if you don't see a split.
Weak mixture.
No oil in dashpot.
Too far advanced. Check timing properly. First set the static timing by the book and then check with the engine running using a strobe light. Pull vacuum pipe from the distributor when doing this and block it off to stop the air leak to the manifold. It may need to be retarded by a couple of degrees more than the book due to modern fuel. Initially, you could just rotate the distributor slightly to retard it. 1º of a turn at the distributor = 2º of ignition timing. Rotate anti-clockwise to retard.
Do each step separately and then test. I don't say this will cure your problem but all worth a try.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 14:33   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Jens;

Welcome to this forum!

I presume Derek deduces the single Zenith-Stromberg carb, from the B20A designation, but I'd ask for confirmation of this...if confirmed, the torn diaphragm seems to be a common failure mode of those carbs...although I have to question if that can produce symptoms one day and not the next ("...completely fine one day and the next day this issue can occur...")...I might expect failure symptoms to be consistently repetitive once diaphragm is torn...

"replaced...spark distributor (low spark issue)"...strength and intensity of Spark is a function of Ign Coil...Distributor (Cap and Rotor) then direct it to the correct Spark Plug...I question this value and effectiveness of this action...and it seems not to have addressed or corrected symptoms...

If carb is OK and symptoms persist, I would return to Ign Sys...you can try Derek's recommended Ign adjustments, but timing, as checked on a timing strobe should be consistent and return consistently (within a degree or two) after blipping throttle...a stuck or inconsistently returning Centrifugal Advance can certainly cause symptoms often described as feeling like engine is being held back on throttling up (Check CA action and assure it is lubed, see: http://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignitio...e_Spark_Timing )

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 18:00   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Splits in the Stromberg diaphragm can be small and hard to spot. Also means that when they are very small their effect on the piston movement can be inconsistent. The diaphragm can also become distorted which also affects piston movement. This distortion is probably more likely now due to ethanol fumes.
Ron's comment "direct it to the correct spark plug" also means the correct plug type for your engine.
I agree with checking the advance and retard mechanism. The rotor should spring back when turned against the mechanism and released. Check that the vacuum diaphragm moves the breaker plate. Sucking by mouth on the pipe is usually enough to see if it's working.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 21:10   #5
old fart
Master Member

I've had intermittent fault similar to this with a faulty coil, although it was over days rather than weeks. You could try jury rigging an ordinary coil to see if it makes a difference.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:36   #6
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

.a stuck or inconsistently returning Centrifugal Advance can certainly cause symptoms often described as feeling like engine is being held back on throttling up (Check CA action and assure it is lubed, see: http://www.sw-em.com/Volvo%20Ignitio...e_Spark_Timing )

This!

Check the ignition side properly ,
Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 00:20   #7
adarvasi

Had an issue with similar symptoms in a GM engine about 50 years ago, tried everything for over a month, finally it came to an almost (but not quite) plugged fuel filter. Worth to check it.
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 15:55   #8
Jens Vermeulen

Hi sorry for the late reply,
i'm currently in my final exam period.
i've checked both centrifugal and vacuum advance systems as you described they are completely fine. which leads me to believe the issue is either ignition or carb. i replaced the spark distributor because the electrodes were pretty heavily burned but i agree it wasn't the problem.
Thank you very much for the replies.
Things i'm going to check:
-static timing
-carb diaphragm
-Ignition coil
-fuel filter?

Since the post i've driven my car about 100km without any symptoms.
although at higher speeds (120kmh) i can still feel it, but centainly not as much as before where i had trouble reaching 60kmh.
Jens Vermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote