Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599400

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2019, 13:01   #2111
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwigny View Post
Thank Christophe for your reply full of very interesting informations and advices.

As many of us, I convinced that the situation is not normal and is the result of a wrong design of the engine. Hopefuly, I have extended the warranty period and I'm covered until end of february. This should ease the discussion with Volvo, otherwise I also have an insurrance that will cover any legal actions. As you said, curently my car worth nothing because I cannot sell it anymore. This forum is a proof that I was aware of the issue but anyway, I don't want to sell something that I know is not working as it should.

I think I will wait untill the car consume at least 0,5l/1000km (this should be the case soon) and at that time I will inform my dealer that I want to have a fix (for free). If they refuse, I will start a legal action. As the car is running, I have the time to do that. I will just buy 10 liters of oil to have a small reserve. In the worst case scenario, I will replace the engine with a remanufactured one (3200€ + workload) around 240000km instead of just the timing belt like any normal car.

I have 2 other questions:
- does someone already try to use another oil grade (0-30 for example). This should be less expensive and the oil will stay longer in the engine. The 0-20 that Volvo want us to use is really thin as water?
- what about the exhaust with all this oil consummed ? The DPF for example.

Regards
Volvo developed this engine with castrol to use ONLY 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE this is a volvo specification , much like VW and other manufacturers have their own oil specification . If you use anything else . all warranty and goodwill will be lost with volvo ... The lubrication system is quite advanced on this engine ..
Old May 17th, 2019, 14:58   #2112
ChrisFromFrance

Above my oil consumption
076476 kms add 1/3 liter
087750 kms add 1/3 liter
090540 kms add 1/3 liter
091494 kms add 1/2 liter
093684 kms add 1/2 liter
098455 kms add 1/2 liter
100036 kms add 1/2 liter
101732 kms add 3/4 liter
102801 kms add 3/4 liter
104120 kms add 1/2 liter
105200 kms add 1/2 liter
106163 kms add 1 liter
107725 kms add 1 liter
109581 kms add 1 liter
111003 kms add 1 liter
113640 kms add 1 liter
115401 kms add 1 liter
117156 kms add 1 liter
118732 kms add 1 liter
119911 kms add 1 liter
121250 kms add 1 liter
122520 kms add 1 liter
123710 kms add 1 liter
125171 kms add 1 liter
126614 kms add 1 liter
128285 kms add 1 liter
129828 kms add 1 liter
131019 kms add 1 liter
132372 kms add 1 liter
133648 kms add 1 liter
Old May 17th, 2019, 18:26   #2113
xwigny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo developed this engine with castrol to use ONLY 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE this is a volvo specification , much like VW and other manufacturers have their own oil specification . If you use anything else . all warranty and goodwill will be lost with volvo ... The lubrication system is quite advanced on this engine ..
I agree with you that Volvo has his own oil specification but I'm sorry I cannot let you saying that "the lubrication system is quite advanced on this engine". When you see the oil consumption on ChrisFromFrance' car, only the consumption is advanced even when the engine was below 90000 kms . My idea to try another oil grade is only for people having the abnormal consumption like us and no warranty anymore. Knowing that the engine is already under palliative care, why not to try ? An higher grade will better protect the engine but for the exhaust system I don't know yet the possible impact.
xwigny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 20:10   #2114
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwigny View Post
I agree with you that Volvo has his own oil specification but I'm sorry I cannot let you saying that "the lubrication system is quite advanced on this engine". When you see the oil consumption on ChrisFromFrance' car, only the consumption is advanced even when the engine was below 90000 kms . My idea to try another oil grade is only for people having the abnormal consumption like us and no warranty anymore. Knowing that the engine is already under palliative care, why not to try ? An higher grade will better protect the engine but for the exhaust system I don't know yet the possible impact.
By advanced it has electronically variable oil pump flow and a variable supply to the piston cooling vales .. If the warranty is out it's your car it is your choice of course ... but if the higher viscosity damages the engine with an oil system designed for 0W/20 It won't be good news .
Old May 17th, 2019, 21:40   #2115
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
By advanced it has electronically variable oil pump flow and a variable supply to the piston cooling vales .. If the warranty is out it's your car it is your choice of course ... but if the higher viscosity damages the engine with an oil system designed for 0W/20 It won't be good news .
You are of course right as always. Being now heavily into the classic car exhibition season my two cars are regularly tended to with grease gun and oil can. Changing the viscosity oils to take up wear margins are the talk of yesteryear! I don't even bother lifting the bonnet on my VEA unless to fill the screen washer. Emission legislation has driven me and my compliant engine to the main dealer.
As a fellow exhibitor said to me recently 'you only have to f*rt in one of these new cars and a light goes on'. Now where's that can of SAE30!

Last edited by Dash300; May 17th, 2019 at 21:45.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:59   #2116
ChrisFromFrance

We should all report our problems to Volvo Customer Support.
Customer Support - CXO <cxo@volvocars.com>
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:21   #2117
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromFrance View Post
We should all report our problems to Volvo Customer Support.
Customer Support - CXO <cxo@volvocars.com>
I assume you've already done this? What response did you get?
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:40   #2118
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I assume you've already done this? What response did you get?
The answer:

As the highest escalation point within Volvo Car Corporation, when cases are escalated to us, we contact our market representatives for more information, as we rely on them to investigate the matter locally with the dealer involved. Once we have complete information from yourself, and our market representatives, we then impartially review the case based on the facts provided.

Based on the information received and documents provided from Volvo Car France it is our understanding that between May and June 2018 your authorized dealership recommended that the motor elements of your car should be disassembled for a proper diagnosis. A letter was sent to you on 08/11/2018 and an email dated 30/11/2018.

As informed in the communication in the above-mentioned dates we cannot find the fault in your car without your approval for a diagnosis at your authorized dealer.

Please be informed that we are not technically trained here in Customer Relations and are unable to comment remotely on the issues you are facing. We rely on the technical knowledge and expertise of our Volvo technicians at the dealerships in order to review cases. In the event the onsite technician requires any technical support or guidance for more complex or unusual issues, they are able to obtain this directly from our Technical Division here in Sweden.

I hope the foregoing explains why your Volvo dealer is better placed to assist you, having the technical knowledge and access to the parts and systems to diagnose your Volvo.
Old May 25th, 2019, 21:19   #2119
John90

Default Issue Cured

Hi all,

I have posted a couple of times to say I was experiencing this on my 2015 D3 Euro6 S60. Symptoms were yellow check engine light and confirmation by the AA on 3 occasions that it was due to low flow levels being detected.

I purchased a diagnostics box to read the codes and reset them, as that's all the AA did, so I could see if they or other codes continued to be generated and at what frequency. I started putting in Shell Optimax Diesel in and sprayed Wynns EGR cleaner in the intake which didn't seem to work as the error returned shortly after. Having reset it again I used a number of different in fuel additives including Redex, Wynns, STP and Forte along with continuing with Shell Optimax. The error reoccurred a couple of times during this but I'm delighted to say it appears to have corrected the issue, with the light not coming back on during the last 2k miles of mixed driving.

Obviously with such a cocktail I can't advise which product or combination of products were responsible, but if you are out of warranty and short of time or skills, it may be worth trying as (code reader aside) it has cost less than the price of a tank of fuel to resolve.

I plan to put a bottle of one of these in every 6 months or so as a premeventative measure if it continues to be trouble free.

Last edited by John90; May 25th, 2019 at 21:22.
John90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 21:49   #2120
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John90 View Post
Hi all,

I have posted a couple of times to say I was experiencing this on my 2015 D3 Euro6 S60. Symptoms were yellow check engine light and confirmation by the AA on 3 occasions that it was due to low flow levels being detected.

I purchased a diagnostics box to read the codes and reset them, as that's all the AA did, so I could see if they or other codes continued to be generated and at what frequency. I started putting in Shell Optimax Diesel in and sprayed Wynns EGR cleaner in the intake which didn't seem to work as the error returned shortly after. Having reset it again I used a number of different in fuel additives including Redex, Wynns, STP and Forte along with continuing with Shell Optimax. The error reoccurred a couple of times during this but I'm delighted to say it appears to have corrected the issue, with the light not coming back on during the last 2k miles of mixed driving.

Obviously with such a cocktail I can't advise which product or combination of products were responsible, but if you are out of warranty and short of time or skills, it may be worth trying as (code reader aside) it has cost less than the price of a tank of fuel to resolve.

I plan to put a bottle of one of these in every 6 months or so as a premeventative measure if it continues to be trouble free.
Volvo will replace the EGR cooler for free, even beyond the warranty period.