Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor starting on 1998 1.8

Views : 593

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:17   #1
AJAS

Default Poor starting on 1998 1.8

Hi all,

We are relatively new owners of a V40 and have gradually been doing all the 'known' faults that I have found from these forums - thermostat, temp sender, headlamp adjusters (easy peasy with the info from the search!) and drop links (yet to do!).

The car has always been sluggish on starting - sounds like a flat battery, but have had it checked and it is ok. It turns over slowly but always starts.

I have checked the voltage when the car is running and it is about 14v (on an analogue instruments, not too accurate!) which suggests the alternator is ok. Have done continuity checks between body/engine and negative on the battery and that looks good. Cleaned up the starter motor connector. All to no avail. I assume that it is likely to be the starter itself.
Is this a typical fault and if so how easy is it to change the motor?
Thanks in advance
AJAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:23   #2
manoman48
Master Member

Check you have the correct rated battery fitted. Mine has come with an under-rated battery and although it starts every time, it is less than enthusiastic when its freezing outside. Its on my 'to do' list.
manoman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 22:16   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

I had a Laguna for a few months last winter and I swapped the battery for a higher amp type and it wouldn't idle at all. Put back in the lower amp battery and it returned to normal. I would go with Manoman on this one and check that you have the correct rating for the car. No harm to have a new battery fitted temporarily to see if the starter turns better. A new battery would be half the price of a starter motor.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:12   #4
mharriso
Master Member

In line with the previous comments, once you have the correct rating battery ensure it is fully charged, preferably by an intelligent charger, suggest OPTIMATE SP. VEry good investment, just charge once aweek and winter will pass without worries...

In addition if the vehicle is very high mileage get your cylinder compression checked... low comp ratio is oftn a cause for laboured staring...
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote