Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Software Updates?

Views : 1471

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 13:33   #1
Teejay1
Master Member

Default Software Updates?

I'm getting a new XC60 delivered in September; I'm also in the market for a new mobile phone. I obviously want the phone to have maximum compatibility with the new car but how does Volvo handle the generic updates plus Bluetooth compatibility updates.

Are new generic updates done as part of the annual service and/or are Bluetooth type updates a chargeable item in addition to the generic updates?
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:23   #2
Aidan Bell

I'm curious what you mean by Bluetooth updates. I'm no expert, but I understood that if your phone connects to the car via Bluetooth that's it, there are no variations or abilities other than it either works or doesn't. Or have I misunderstood you; are you referring to using the dash to operate the phone? I'm picking up my car tomorrow (wahey!!), I've had my dealer wire in the cable/cradle for my phone (HTC Touchpro2), but personally wouldn't even want to start operating it via the dashboard. I'm very happy using the phone as the phone, with audio hands-free via Bluetooth.
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 14:16   #3
Teejay1
Master Member

When I say Bluetooth updates I mean compatability updates. I want to be able to have BT enabled and when I jump in the car I can continue my conversation hands free. Then if I need to make another outgoing call I can use voice dialling, from my address book and connect. Then if I stop and get out of the car I can continue with the handset.

Since some phones seem to work better than others. If all BT is the same then all phones must work? But all phones appear to not be equal.

So I want to get the best phone that gives the most funcationality without the need to get extra equipment fitted. I was looking at either the new Iphone or and HTC but didn;'t want to get one that doesn't pair with the car and have to use my in-the-ear thingy.

I hope all that makes sense?
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 14:44   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

There are references from other in the forums that the new IOS4 update for iphones does not work with the XC90 bluetooth, not sure in the XC60 version or on the latest iPhone

I know that all the HTCs that I have tried have worked perfectly, Magic, Hero, Touch, an TytynII

Now use blackberry 9700 and that works correctly - as long as the screen is not locked when the connection is made, if it is locke then the contacts don't transfer
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 21:37   #5
Aidan Bell

Again, my experience of BT is limited, so I wouldn't want to mislead you. But I would say that I'm very pleased with my HTC TouchPro2, and although I don't have my XC60 until tomorrow, it interacted flawlessly with the Bluetooth radio in my previous car.
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 12:07   #6
abm

[QUOTE=wimorrison;693444]There are references from other in the forums that the new IOS4 update for iphones does not work with the XC90 bluetooth, not sure in the XC60 version or on the latest iPhone
QUOTE]

My Iphone 3GS with IOS4 works fine in my XC60.
abm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 19:31   #7
bobuilt

I have HTC HD2 which will not work with XC60 unless you turn off data connection in the Comms manager. With data on the phone connects but there is no volume at all. I now have a routine whereby I start the engine, turn off the data connection, place the phone in the cubby box and then drive away. It only takes a couple of seconds as I have set up a shortcut on the front screen and anyway who needs to accept email whilst on the move?
bobuilt is offline   Reply With Quote