Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Instantaneous MPG display and DPF Cleaning ?

Views : 2376

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 17:57   #1
Manic-me

Default Instantaneous MPG display and DPF Cleaning ?

I've had a couple of occasions while "steady state" driving where the instantaneous MPG nose dives. I was wondering if this was linked to cleaning the DPF and if others are also experiencing this.

For example - Motoway driving, 75mph, I-MPG ~ high 40s. then suddenly for a ~20 min period the displayed MPG drops to low 30's with no change in driving conditions. It recovers after some time. I have seen this a couple of times now - it may be happening quite often - I just happened to check the instantaneous MPG display.

Similarly today, driving around town, the displayed MPG was <10 - and there was a definite "burning" smell outside the car when I stopped.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 00:56   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic-me View Post
I've had a couple of occasions while "steady state" driving where the instantaneous MPG nose dives. I was wondering if this was linked to cleaning the DPF and if others are also experiencing this.

For example - Motoway driving, 75mph, I-MPG ~ high 40s. then suddenly for a ~20 min period the displayed MPG drops to low 30's with no change in driving conditions. It recovers after some time. I have seen this a couple of times now - it may be happening quite often - I just happened to check the instantaneous MPG display.

Similarly today, driving around town, the displayed MPG was <10 - and there was a definite "burning" smell outside the car when I stopped.
sounds very plausible - never watched that readout, may do so now to see if I notice the same, would certainly explain the fuel consumption as I struggle to keep it above 34mpg (displayed, not calculated so it could actually be lower )
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:31   #3
XC60KEV
Master Member

It will be the DPF. The engine has to produce enough power to heat the DPF to well over 700 degrees for it to work. On my current audi (multitronic) it felt as though the revs were too high and wasnt changing up gear for spells of 5-10 mins. This happened every 250 miles or so for the first 10000 miles or so but became less frequent as the mileage went up and began not to notice it.

It did take a bit of time to get used to and a trip back to the dealer when I though something was wrong only to be told its was normal.

Still, beats a big ploom of black smoke f the exhaust when you get over friendly with the right foot.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 21:56   #4
Manic-me

Thanks kj5cott.

It will be interesting to see if it happens less often once the car gets past 10K (currently on 8K).

Every 250 miles sounds very often, that's twice per tank of fuel.... When the sales guy mentioned I had in my mind that it would be every couple of thousand miles.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:03   #5
mu71rd

this might just explain why on some trips i seem to struggle to get more than 30mpg and then on a very similar journey i get in the region of 40. very frustrating

every 250 miles sounds a bit ridiculous, but hey what do i know!
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote