Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Steering wheel audio control

Views : 7015

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 16:49   #1
TodVolvo

Default V50 Steering wheel audio control

Hi,
I have a 2004 2.0d S, and was wondering if I could add steering wheel controls for the audio (as you get with the SE)?
I have searched for kits to do this but not found any. The only kits I can find are to add a trip computer.
Has anyone any experience of this.
Any help appreciated.
Regards, TodVolvo
TodVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 19:26   #2
tigerbalm

What stereo do you have: Performance (Basic), High Performance or Premium?
tigerbalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 14:25   #3
TodVolvo

Tigerbalm,
Thanks for your response and I'm very sorry it took me so long to get back (I went to check, and forgot to respond).
I have the Performance Basic I belive.
Regards.
TodVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 22:16   #4
VolvoNoob

Default I want to know about this too....

I am also wondering about this. Have just bought a 2005 2.4i sport v50 and would like the option of audio controls on steering wheel. Has anyone done this before? Is it easy? Thanks.
VolvoNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoNoob For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 00:03   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodVolvo View Post
Hi,
I have a 2004 2.0d S, and was wondering if I could add steering wheel controls for the audio (as you get with the SE)?
I have searched for kits to do this but not found any. The only kits I can find are to add a trip computer.
Has anyone any experience of this.
Any help appreciated.
Regards, TodVolvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoNoob View Post
I am also wondering about this. Have just bought a 2005 2.4i sport v50 and would like the option of audio controls on steering wheel. Has anyone done this before? Is it easy? Thanks.
Hi,

Yes you can get the audio block on its own, drop into your nearest dealer or give FRF (volvo dealer swansea) a call for a price for the part.

The fitting is very simple and shouldn't take any longer than 15min (5 of which you have to wait before disconnecting airbag). If you need instructions let me know and I'll post them up.

With the audio block (right hand side of steering wheel) once this is in place it will just work - plug and play! You can also get the cruise block too but this is costly and needs a software update for it to work (Volvo Dealer).

Alternatively you can pick up a new or second hand steering wheel out of any 2004 - 2012 S40/V50/C30 as they are all the same. You can look on ebay or ring round some scrap yards or dismantlers.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 12:19   #6
andybsl55

I have a steering wheel from a 55 S40 for sale.

It has the audio controls & the cruise control buttons..

I'll photograph & place in the sales section shortly...
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 12:20   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

Important side info!

If you have the cruise buttons, then you only need the volume control block.
If you don't have any buttons: you'll need that harness too! And if you are very "lucky", you'll need a new contact wheel/disc behind the steering wheel...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 13:25   #8
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Important side info!

If you have the cruise buttons, then you only need the volume control block.
If you don't have any buttons: you'll need that harness too! And if you are very "lucky", you'll need a new contact wheel/disc behind the steering wheel...
Daim,

I've aided a few people recently on the Forum with S40/V50's that have upgraded to the audio buttons and none of them so far have needed an additional harness. It has just been plug and play for them.

The contact disc wheel has never had to be touched (well not on UK spec cars anyway), even if you get the Volvo cruise kit it doesn't mention nor imply any change to the contact wheel. Again those that have had it done recently have just been plug, VIDA Update and play.

Is it perhaps a money saving thing with German spec cars or maybe a C30 thing? I don't believe any of the people I've dealt with had C30's??

No matter what you've got to try the cheapest option first.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 15:37   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Daim,

I've aided a few people recently on the Forum with S40/V50's that have upgraded to the audio buttons and none of them so far have needed an additional harness. It has just been plug and play for them.

The contact disc wheel has never had to be touched (well not on UK spec cars anyway), even if you get the Volvo cruise kit it doesn't mention nor imply any change to the contact wheel. Again those that have had it done recently have just been plug, VIDA Update and play.

Is it perhaps a money saving thing with German spec cars or maybe a C30 thing? I don't believe any of the people I've dealt with had C30's??

No matter what you've got to try the cheapest option first.

I mentioned that as a "be aware"

In the C30/S40/V50 cruise control/audi control kits, the little cable with the 3 plugs (the one which plugs into the green plug and the two for the switches) is part of the mentioned kits. If you already have one of the controls, Volvo sends only the control/buttons on it's own.

I don't think it is a German thing, as our cars here normally come with buttons as a standard, but there are some without controls and they lack the little cable...

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=237204
Part "2" with partnsnumber 8691991

I've retrofitted an S40 from 2006 with audio controls - or at least tried. It had no harness. Had to order it.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 19:38   #10
v40bart
Master Member

Make sure that you are getting the right part number. I fitted a later chassis number switches, they work fine but I get an error in vida about loss of functionality. According to the car my buttons are not working (even when they are)

Tags
vaiotag