Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 Dsa

Views : 1268

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 17:00   #1
spaceace

Default V40 T4 Dsa

Hi,

I've just been to look at a T4 and I love the car....but the DSA light was on permanently. The car did drive fine and boy it shifted.

The owner didn't know why the light was on and the garage it was serviced at couldn't reset it (assuming it was a back street garage) and it's put a question over the sale.

Also, there was a little mayo in the oil filler cap, none in the dipstick or water expansion cap.....I'm assuming this would just be condensation?

Do you think it's worth a punt ?

Thanks
Jason
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 17:25   #2
spaceace

whilst I'm thinking about it;

I was parked up with the indicator on, the illumination for the clocks was dimming slightly as the indicator came on...I'm wondering if the battery is toast and giving a low voltage on start making the DSA fault
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 17:49   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

I would get the vendor to fix the DSA Dynamic Stability Assist ( traction control ) before you look at it again and check the warm up phase if it take s a long time the thermostat could be stuck open . But its not good news you don't usualy get white condensation in there engines unless head gasket or worse ... unless hes been starting it up a lot and not driving it recently . The white gunge should clear up on it's own after a long run if everything is ok ..
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 17:54   #4
Jaytee-ex480

with the mayo I wouldn't assume it was condensation ask a few questions about the cars use, has it been used only for short trips where it doesn't get to warm up ?
as for the dsa that could be costly I'd probably want to get it checked out by a dealer and get a decent answer as to what the problem could be.
Jaytee-ex480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 18:29   #5
spaceace

Thanks for the replies.

Apparently this was the guys 3rd car, hence the sale.

The car is a 1999 for only £2000.....now I know why it seems like a good deal

Shame as I thought it would have been great for the price
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 20:50   #6
mak1

Walk away until it's fixed, my 98 T4 wasn't showing any problems and has been a total nightmare after breaking down on the way home from purchase. I'd never by something with a blatant fault!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48158
mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 21:03   #7
spaceace

yes, I'm going to look around for another v40 t4

I hate buying cars, I always seem to buy other peoples problems

Good luck with getting yours sorted
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 22:10   #8
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace View Post
Hi,

I've just been to look at a T4 and I love the car....but the DSA light was on permanently. The car did drive fine and boy it shifted.

The owner didn't know why the light was on and the garage it was serviced at couldn't reset it (assuming it was a back street garage) and it's put a question over the sale.

Also, there was a little mayo in the oil filler cap, none in the dipstick or water expansion cap.....I'm assuming this would just be condensation?

Do you think it's worth a punt ?

Thanks
Jason
My advice is to walk away from it. Electrical issues surrounding the DSA module can be very complex and costly. There are always good examples of T4s coming on to the market so it may be worth waiting for one.

However, if you are bent on this one, the next time you get to drive it, when you start the car, as soon as the engine fires up, step on the throttle and keep the engine speed just above 1500rpm for around 3-4 secs before allowing it to fall back to normal idling speed (750rpm) and see if that turns the DSA light off. If it does, then you have a fault in the "handshake" between the DSA module and ECM, most likely caused by a low engine load signal.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 22:22   #9
spaceace

thanks for all of the valuable advise.

I walked away from the car in question......I knew in the back of my mind it was the right thing to do, but my heart got giddy

I ended up buying a T4 in much better condition for the same price....just waiting for the cheque to clear
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 22:23   #10
mak1

Excellent - hope you have better luck than me!
mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote