Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo s60 vs Tesla model 3, crash test

Views : 1032

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 00:46   #1
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Default Volvo s60 vs Tesla model 3, crash test

Watched a youtube clip on the Volvo s60 and Tesla model 3 being crahed tested (side impact / pole), The Tesla looks in better shape- but would you be in better shape on the inside? The owner of Tesla takes a jab at Volvo"s safety. I can not put a link up as unsure how to do it.

Craig.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:30   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I don't know if they are taking a jab at Volvo. More that Volvo are the industry leaders in safety and if Tesla can match them at least then that gives Tesla huge credibility.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:22   #3
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I don't know if they are taking a jab at Volvo. More that Volvo are the industry leaders in safety and if Tesla can match them at least then that gives Tesla huge credibility.
this is the real reason for it, the S60 is deemed or at least was at the launch the safest car in the world.

In my eyes currently from a safety point of view for your loved ones if you can afford it you either but a Volvo or a Tesla!

Checkout the videos of tesla's reacting to real world collisions, amazing tech in the car, for the first time in automotive industry I believe Volvo is playing catch up to another brand, er at least in crash avoidance situations.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 12:47   #4
abby606

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
this is the real reason for it, the S60 is deemed or at least was at the launch the safest car in the world.

In my eyes currently from a safety point of view for your loved ones if you can afford it you either but a Volvo or a Tesla!

Checkout the videos of tesla's reacting to real world collisions, amazing tech in the car, for the first time in automotive industry I believe Volvo is playing catch up to another brand, er at least in crash avoidance situations.
The Tesla's ability to use its radar to see the car ahead of the one in front is braking heavily and take appropriate action (still not sure how that works!) would be a welcome addition to the Volvo AEB.

Though my Volvo once warned me about a stationery car hidden behind a hedge on a blind bend - was quite impressed with that.
abby606 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abby606 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 19:54   #5
Bendolfc
Premier Member

You can't judge it by looks. Modern cars are designed to disintegrate to a point to absorb the energy of the impact.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 00:52   #6
owyn
Premier Member

This is an interesting one

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

In the slo-mo you can see the passenger cell flex a lot more in the Tesla than the Volvo.

I personally think it's fantastic that safety technology is progressing so quickly and I think Volvos commitment to not have a serious injury in one of its cars by 2020 or whenever it was (I can't remember the date) is amazing.
I think the brand has found a real lease of life under its new owners and I can't wait to be back in one.

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Dec 8th, 2017 at 19:18. Reason: Added bbcode
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 22:05   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

A little healthy competition to who’s got the safest car can’t be a bad thing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 22:58   #8
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
A little healthy competition to who’s got the safest car can’t be a bad thing.
makes a welcome change from companies only doing it because they are being dragged in line with the others!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 23:02   #9
I-S
Premier Member

I'm not sure that the untrained eye can tell too much from crash test videos (except of course in cases of really gross failure where the entire passenger cell is crumpled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbe5ILICT4M). A car that is totally rigid isn't very good in a crash because the energy of the impact is not absorbed, merely transferred (to the occupants).

That is not to say that Teslas aren't safe - they are, extremely. So are Volvos.

In fact, almost every car these days is extremely safe. There's very little on the market with anything less than 3 NCAP stars, and most cars are 4 or 5. Compared to even a "good" car from the mid-90s, you are FAR safer today (Sorry 900 owners, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY - in fairness, the crash structures of the 900 date back to the early 80s, and compared to pretty much anything else of its day that's a very good result, but modern cars are a level above).

Volvo's stated goal that no-one should be killed in a new volvo from whenever it is is very laudable. It might be unachievable because there are certain things you can't possibly design for (eg getting between two 44 tonne artics that are having a head-on. No matter what car you're in in between them, you're dead), but having the goal is noble, and it's a good thing to have a high target that no one thinks is achievable (Tesla know this well!). Even if you don't make it all the way, you make it further than anyone thought you would or could.

As for which I'd rather be in?

Sorry, but I want a Tesla. I've been driving my Leaf and my V70, and each time I'm in the Leaf I miss the V70 seats and ride. Each time I'm in the V70, I miss the tranquility, smoothness and instant responsiveness of the Leaf. Until Volvo give us a BEV, Tesla is the one.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 19:32   #10
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I always wondered where the large lump of an engine that is in the Volvo 940 went.
The engine is attached to the two steel beams each side of the engine going to bump stops to which the bumper is attached.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

But that aside, most modern cars are made from "high strength steel" so less equals what used to be more. Advent in Volvo of the 850 and the transverse engine improved safety, so they say.
And the crumple is designed - to abzorb energy. Just see the crash test for the Smart. That hardly deforms at all. But I wouldn't like to be in one!

But when compared to its equals, volvo always won!

+ YouTube Video

Des. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (123.3 KB, 8 views)
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post: