Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 Cambelt change - easy job or not?

Views : 2875

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:58   #11
mrdave2003
Premier Member

Just to add to the genuineness of belt, the Volvo one I put on my dads 740 last year had white markings on the belt to line it all up, so even if it was all moved you could easily line it all up again (should be small markings on each pully too). I doubt a patent belt will have these marks.
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 14:08   #12
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Totally agree - only fit genuine parts when it comes to the timing belt and tensioner. I usually change the water pump every 100k as well - again only fitting OEM. Its just not worth the risk.

Cars only got 44,000 original miles on it, its a baby still!
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 14:15   #13
'88740GL

I removed the 3 screws to the cambelt cover, and have found that it has been changed, though look like it was done a while ago..I dont know if its an original volvo belt, it doesnt say volvo anywhere on it, though its width is 3/4 inch if that means anything to you lot..

It look in fair condition, this is the first time i've seen an old timing belt, its not frayed, though it has tiny brown bits on the edges amd looking under the magnifying glass you can see a few tiny hair line splits/crack around 1/2mm or so on the edges. It looks dirty/and or greasy and its tension is good, i think, (i can push on the longest bit and it will only move 1cm.... I will look for a genuine volvo part

thanks again
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 14:17   #14
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdave2003 View Post
Just to add to the genuineness of belt, the Volvo one I put on my dads 740 last year had white markings on the belt to line it all up, so even if it was all moved you could easily line it all up again (should be small markings on each pully too). I doubt a patent belt will have these marks.
This belt has those white/yellow marks but must of been changed before since the timing marks on the top pully and the inside of the cambelt cover are tippexed on with a red shiny ink....these can't be oem markings surely..
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 16:01   #15
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Totally agree - only fit genuine parts when it comes to the timing belt and tensioner. I usually change the water pump every 100k as well - again only fitting OEM. Its just not worth the risk.
not critical on this engine as the water pump does not run of the cambelt,can be changed at a later date if needed without cambelt removal.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 09:34   #16
'88740GL

For piece of mind, my reputable mechanic will be supplying the belt as a special order, and fitting it in for me, £150 all in total, but i think i'd struggle on the crank shaft bolt, as the only tool kit i have is my dads 10+ year old spanners, sockets and wrench's from when he used to service and strip down his motorbikes back in the 80's.....

Besides, i'll be distracted from the job by brew breaks texting girlfriend etc..even the weather!

i still do plugs, oil changes, filters etc all the easy maintenance stuff..

Thank you for all of your help and advice!
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 11:03   #17
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
For piece of mind, my reputable mechanic will be supplying the belt as a special order, and fitting it in for me, £150 all in total, but i think i'd struggle on the crank shaft bolt, as the only tool kit i have is my dads 10+ year old spanners, sockets and wrench's from when he used to service and strip down his motorbikes back in the 80's.....

Besides, i'll be distracted from the job by brew breaks texting girlfriend etc..even the weather!

i still do plugs, oil changes, filters etc all the easy maintenance stuff..

Thank you for all of your help and advice!
£150 ! that's expensive,the labour time is only 1 hour approx.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:11   #18
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
not critical on this engine as the water pump does not run of the cambelt,can be changed at a later date if needed without cambelt removal.
Agreed, but as the aux belt has to come off anyway it makes sense to do this at the same time
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:13   #19
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
... the only tool kit i have is my dads 10+ year old spanners, sockets and wrench's from when he used to service and strip down his motorbikes back in the 80's.....
Thanks for that - I feel old and decrepit now. I was one of those '80s bikers - had a Suzuki GSX750
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 12:23   #20
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Agreed, but as the aux belt has to come off anyway it makes sense to do this at the same time
only takes 1 minute to drop the fan belts of,I would leave the water pump and replace if it fails in the future.