Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leaded Four Star.....run it if you can!

Views : 5481

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2010, 23:07   #11
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
Appologies guys, I did initially put unleaded as 97 ron, it were a 2type error2 on my behalf and have corrected, wouldnt think I used to run a fuel forecourt now would you [ha ha].

I can only presume someone has put a sign up as "LRP " [lead replacement fuel] but why someone would after so many years, does not really compute.

I'm not going to say anything about how many cars still "have" to run leaded fuels, thats too much of a boiling point on any forum, as I even deal with some of these beut's on classic and vintage car races. try telling the owner of a 24 ltr napier bentley to run regular unleaded, it should test the power output of your legs anyway !
Oh, you mean chris williams with the 1929 red bentley napier, yep i've emailed him a few times over a real lead containing additive known as tetraboost, its too dear to buy in crates of 8 (120.00) so this guy splits boxes of the stuff and sells it to people in need of the stuff
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 23:07   #12
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
Yes,

Jubilee Garage
London Road
Holmes Chapel
Cheshire
CW4 7BG
01477 537841

heres a link to google maps street view of the place, see the red pump, it says all over it '4 star LEADED PETROL' and 4 red stars, phone them its proper leaded petrol, i bet you your volvo :-)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...2,92.88,,0,8.6
They do have a big sign outside saying, 'We sell leaded 4 star'.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 23:10   #13
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
Thanks, interesting. I'll have a read into this.

http://www.leadedpetrol.co.uk/leadedpetrol.pdf
Speaking from experience, email this bayford company and ask for an updated list of stockists, as a few of them are quite old now, honestly i've spent the best part of 3 months searching day in and day out for this stuff :-)
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 23:19   #14
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ton377 View Post
yes pu50 is 95ron and su50 is 97/98ron dependent on supplier, leaded petrol is a big no no not sure where this station would source it from and it cant be legal every delivery of petrol has to have a petroleum delivery certificate signed by the tanker driver and competent person in charge of the petrol station and this has to be kept for a minimum of 6 months and up to 2 years.
BAYFORD & CO LTD SLASHES LEADED PETROL PRICE

Bayford & Co Ltd, the only DTI-approved licence holder for leaded petrol in the UK, has been working hard this winter with their new blending partner, to increase efficiency within their blending and supply chain.

The result: a reduction in the price of leaded petrol by up to 65 pence per litre (£2.95 per gallon in old money) for leaded petrol in 2009 compared to 2008.

Jonathan Turner, an enthusiastic supporter and collector of veteran, vintage and classic cars and CEO of Bayford & Co Ltd said, "During the winter, we've focussed on ways to reduce the cost of leaded petrol for our customers. By increasing efficiencies throughout the blending and supply processes, we've managed to reduce the price by 25-35 pence per litre (ppl). When you add this saving to the current cheaper global price of fuel, approximately 20-30 ppl cheaper since its peak in the summer of 2008, it's a great time for retailers and customers alike to be buying leaded petrol."

Contrary to speculation last year that Bayford were going to stop the supply of leaded petrol in the UK, Turner says: "Bayford & Co Ltd are as committed as ever to our leaded petrol customers and will be equally so in the future. We believe it is important for Britain's motoring heritage that this fuel continues to be available. If nothing else, I keep getting a kicking from my mates on rallies and at the racing circuits about the price, so this'll keep 'em quiet!"

Jonathan's enthusiasm for the classic car industry is why Bayford applied for a licence from the EU to continue to supply the product, when all other oil companies were allowing leaded petrol to pass into history.

For more details on the supply of leaded petrol, please contact:
Bayford & Co Ltd
Tel: 0845 456 6300
Web: http://www.bayfordgroup.co.uk
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 00:34   #15
James_N
VOC Member

£1.45 a litre? sod that, i'd stick to unleaded!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 00:55   #16
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
£1.45 a litre? sod that, i'd stick to unleaded!
At that price, you could go VPower and still be saving a bundle!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 01:01   #17
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

At that price, you could go VPower and still be saving a bundle!!

Des. . .
i'll mix it with unleaded, but to be honest the way it makes the engine run is worth it in my opinion, some place in nottingham charged £1.99...no thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 01:13   #18
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
i'll mix it with unleaded, but to be honest the way it makes the engine run is worth it in my opinion, some place in nottingham charged £1.99...no thanks!
Have you tried running your car on Shell's super unleaded? As it is 98RON and (I'm guessing that) your leaded fuel is also 98RON I would have thought they would provide the same level of improvement, just without the lead coating. If you mix the leaded fuel with normal 95 unleaded then you will reduce the effective octane rating. In which case you would probably be better running on V-power. Or do you mean that you will mix the leaded petrol with super? I don't rate BP ultimate by the way.

Last edited by OldBlueVolvo; Aug 26th, 2010 at 01:15.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 01:52   #19
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
Have you tried running your car on Shell's super unleaded? As it is 98RON and (I'm guessing that) your leaded fuel is also 98RON I would have thought they would provide the same level of improvement, just without the lead coating. If you mix the leaded fuel with normal 95 unleaded then you will reduce the effective octane rating. In which case you would probably be better running on V-power. Or do you mean that you will mix the leaded petrol with super? I don't rate BP ultimate by the way.
I've tried Shell's V-power - no difference
V-power + redex lead replacement - no difference
V-power + castrol valvemaster - no difference
Shells new fuel save unleaded....car jerks violently weird....
Texaco premium 95RON ok, but it burns it like theres no tommorow
Texaco + redex lead replacement - no difference
Texaco + valvemaster - ok'ish but a little jerky

Sainsbury's bog standard unleaded....supermarket fuel was a first for me...ran fine...with castrol valvemaster

Then i tried 98 octane BS 4040 Leaded 4 star...the engine doesnt seem as tappety, and normally as you pull away the car judders like you need to give it more revs with the unleaded, but with leaded everything seems much smoother :-) I've never been near a BP garage in 5 years of driving
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 01:56   #20
'88740GL

OLDBLUEVOLVO :'Have you tried running your car on Shell's super unleaded? As it is 98RON and (I'm guessing that) your leaded fuel is also 98RON I would have thought they would provide the same level of improvement, just without the lead coating. If you mix the leaded fuel with normal 95 unleaded then you will reduce the effective octane rating. In which case you would probably be better running on V-power. Or do you mean that you will mix the leaded petrol with super? I don't rate BP ultimate by the way.'

I just mix the texaco premium unleaded with the 4 star, so im guessing it must be the lead thats doing the wonders, as it lubricates the valve stems and guides, and the valve mating faces...i rekon that if a car that was meant to run on unleaded was given leaded, the emission system might not like it, but the car would go a lot better!

Tags
leaded unleaded