Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start / stop

Views : 3256

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2018, 15:09   #31
2funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
I would add that if you're struggling to come to a smooth stop when the engine cuts out at about 5 mph, you will get used to it. Needs a delicate touch on the brake pedal.

As you approach a stop, squeeze ever-so-slightly harder on the pedal. The system seems to sense brake force applied and you'll notice the engine cut out promptly. At this point you can gently relax your foot as the "creep" effect disappears and you can do a smooth stop with no jerking.

I spent a month pogo-ing between having the engine cut out, then restart as I lifted my foot off the brake, to cutting out again at a stop. Doesn't happen any more and careful control lets me creep all the way down a long will without the engine restarting.
Don't have an XC60 yet, but what would happen when driving in ECO mode? Would the car coast after engine stops or it just coasts by default when you release accelerator?
2funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 15:10   #32
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeZemBer View Post
Yeah.. me too! This is the first car I have which comes with start/stop and it really tensed me up on a busy roundabout when I was about to accelerate and the start/stop kicks in

However, mine doesn't stop the engine while "coasting". Does MERC do that?
None do that. The engine keeps running at idle speed while coasting. One dab of the brakes and coasting is ended.
Old May 17th, 2018, 15:17   #33
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Have you considered re-arranging the icons on the setting screen to place the start stop option up at the top left where you can always find it easily?

:wq
That's what I've done. Moved the icon to the very top right in my case, all on its own with no nearby distractions.

Some people find moving the gear selector sideways to manual mode, and back again as the car comes to a halt, to be effective. It does work but I only use this technique infrequently.
Old May 20th, 2018, 00:07   #34
Converted

Wow, I thought it is just me thinking the start/stop of my s90 is a real pain. Often switching off the engine even before the car coming to a halt...

I have been so used to the Mercs start/stop which was never stopped the engine too early. I hope Volvo will one day improve their start/stop which I feel is their only obvious weakness compared to the German rivals.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 12:47   #35
Bernard F

The stop start on my T5 is excellent and I do not recognise any of the complaints. It seems only diesels are affected unless anyone knows differently.
Old May 20th, 2018, 17:40   #36
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
The stop start on my T5 is excellent and I do not recognise any of the complaints. It seems only diesels are affected unless anyone knows differently.
I will second that, mine doesn't stop until the car is at a standstill, then restarts as soon as I touch the accelerator. What's not to like.
The only other car I've ridden in with stop start is my sons BMW diesel, must say that because it's a diesel it gets a bit tiresome because of the extra noise of the engine starting up.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 23:58   #37
encroute

Could be worse - My 11 plate V50 Diesel Start/Stop has stopped working, as the (2nd?) battery needs a super charge. A long drive (2x5hrs on the motorway) restored it for a week - so will probably need 2 new batteries - just to sell it!
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 07:56   #38
chrisfr

I think its easier to just get used to a routine when you start the car and one of the things i do is press the start stop off button. Its just like remembering to put your seatbelt on. I know its a pain, but if you have bought a car with it, I dont see any other way if you dont like it. I have not fathomed out how hard to press the brake pedal, and sometimes the car is just not consistent in when it applies the start stop.
If i forget at start up, then i always press the off button whilst driving and certainly before a junction. Every car out there has some sort of negetive point and start stop is not one of volvos best features.
I have a xc60 July 2016 SE premium d5 220 geartronic start stop. The only things i dont use are the start stop and manual change which suck.

By the way, all you techies out there how do you get a photo of your car in your post profile? I have tried and tried in my profile and cant do it! Help please.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 20:33   #39
Goodshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
I think its easier to just get used to a routine when you start the car and one of the things i do is press the start stop off button. Its just like remembering to put your seatbelt on. I know its a pain, but if you have bought a car with it, I dont see any other way if you dont like it. I have not fathomed out how hard to press the brake pedal, and sometimes the car is just not consistent in when it applies the start stop.
If i forget at start up, then i always press the off button whilst driving and certainly before a junction. Every car out there has some sort of negetive point and start stop is not one of volvos best features.
I have a xc60 July 2016 SE premium d5 220 geartronic start stop. The only things i dont use are the start stop and manual change which suck.

By the way, all you techies out there how do you get a photo of your car in your post profile? I have tried and tried in my profile and cant do it! Help please.
Just click on User CP on the menu above and then click on Edit Profile and instructions towards the bottom.

Is the Volvo start/stop significantly different/worse than on other cars. We have two other different cars both with start/stop and they are no problem and easy and sensible to use.
Old May 21st, 2018, 20:48   #40
KNVXC90

My MY17 XC90 is my first car with stop/start and it's been fine, and no issues. As per the user manual, certain conditions need to be met, in order for this feature work, and it works well. I enjoy the quietness when stopped at the lights.

It also is an indication of your battery's health/charge level.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2

Last edited by KNVXC90; May 21st, 2018 at 21:51.
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote