Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 brakes affecting idle?

Views : 1919

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 23:15   #1
'88740GL

Default 740 brakes affecting idle?

hello all,

I've noticed that when my car is cold it will idle up and down at 500 rpm and 'chug' once warmed up it will run perfect...however i've noticed if i pump the brake pedal quickly on idle that same chugging returns and i assume when brake vacuum rebuilds again, the idle smooths out once again.....should there be a non return valve on the vacuum pipe between the manifold and the master cylinder?
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 23:25   #2
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
hello all,

I've noticed that when my car is cold it will idle up and down at 500 rpm and 'chug' once warmed up it will run perfect...however i've noticed if i pump the brake pedal quickly on idle that same chugging returns and i assume when brake vacuum rebuilds again, the idle smooths out once again.....should there be a non return valve on the vacuum pipe between the manifold and the master cylinder?
Yes, there is a check valve at the end of the brake booster hose.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 23:37   #3
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueVolvo View Post
Yes, there is a check valve at the end of the brake booster hose.
to check the one way valve for the servo, - run the engine then switch of,then after 10 seconds apply the footbrake and it should feel normal for approx 3 applications then the brake pedal will go hard until the engine is started,if the valve is faulty the pedal will be hard straight away.never had one valve fail in many years,standard issue the engine hunting if the brake pedal is pressed hard and released quickly.

there is a cold start problem with the car,dependant on engine variant.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:25   #4
'88740GL

Thank you guys, i checked and the vacuum is still there after the engine is turned off, even when left sitting over night so we know its not the check valve in this case...

the engine is the 'B200E' (2.0 , continuous injection, with no catalytic converter, it runs on lead replacement petrol, but would be nice if i could get hold of real leaded fuel.

I've noticed theres no 'engine light' does that mean theres no onboard diagnostics or fuel injection computer, or is this a purely mechanical system?

Sorry for so many questions, this is my first volvo :-)
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:45   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Fairly normal for slightly rough idle when cold on these engines, any hot start issues?
No electronics for the injection on these engines, other than the cold start injector.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:15   #6
timofthomas

hi fella - my B200e runs very happily on unleaded with no problems - Volvos were designed for Unleaded very early on so highly likely you can use premium unleaded - though of course they do prefer to run on the higher octane stuff and mine runs a lot happier on v-power - no issues other than that. Might save you a pretty penny and be easier to get hold of....
timofthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:11   #7
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

first thing I would do is change the injector seals as these tend to leak and draw air causing poor idle,then the co will need adjusting after.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 22:13   #8
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Fairly normal for slightly rough idle when cold on these engines, any hot start issues?
No electronics for the injection on these engines, other than the cold start injector.

No hot start issues whatsoever....its a bit of a strange one..... i'm now suspecting the idle air control valve...(auxillary air valve)
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 22:15   #9
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
first thing I would do is change the injector seals as these tend to leak and draw air causing poor idle,then the co will need adjusting after.
Are these easy to do? i mean i'm generally a little knowledgeable of cars, i change oil, filters and plugs, glow plugs, bulbs etc, most easily manageable tasks. Where can i get injector seal kits from?
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 22:20   #10
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthomas View Post
hi fella - my B200e runs very happily on unleaded with no problems - Volvos were designed for Unleaded very early on so highly likely you can use premium unleaded - though of course they do prefer to run on the higher octane stuff and mine runs a lot happier on v-power - no issues other than that. Might save you a pretty penny and be easier to get hold of....
Ah, right, i just been using castrols valvemaster lead replacement as it says in the handbook that 4 star 98 RON fuel is needed and in the haynes manual that unleaded should not be used, my car has no catalytic converter, so thats why i've been using lead replacement in it, just scared of pinging and valveseat recession.