Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70, low battery message no start stop.

Views : 1699

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2020, 08:15   #1
AlexV70Drive1

Question Volvo V70, low battery message no start stop.

Hi I bought a V70 from salvage yard In Jan this year and it had been sitting for a long time I’m guessing as it has ‘battery low’ message come up but the stop start was working it seemed but was hit and miss. Now it doesn’t work and I’m still getting battery low message (even after a 30/40 blast down motorway) and the radio and other stuff goes off after about 2 mins so I can’t listen to it without running the engine. It’s a 2011 1.6drivE r design 117k drives really well apart from having this ‘little’ issue. Really lovely cars these Volvos! Paid £1700 for it and I’m not too worried about the start stop (still would like to know why it doesn’t work) but I’m sick of the low battery warning and the radio switching off when engines not running. I can try to put pictures up of it if wanted/ needed.
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:25   #2
rxtian

You can try charging the battery up with an external charger (make sure you put the charger negative on the chassis not directly on the battery). But in my experience this is only a temporary solution and a new battery is needed to satisfy the car once it gets to this state.

This generation of Volvos seem very particular about their battery health. Mines been complaining for about 6 months but still never had a starting problem.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:57   #3
TeamG
Master Member

I have the same year/engine. Battery was an issue if I didn’t use it much so I changed it at 7yrs. Totally different car now, start stop always works and during lockdown it’s the one that I’m using to jump start our newer cars and neighbours.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:17   #4
AlexV70Drive1

Smile

I just check the terminals and they were tight on the posts but the nuts were not fully tight so I’ve just nipped them up and checked the voltage on both batteries and they are both 12.8 so in very good health. I’ll see how it goes and report back... it starts on the button all the time even when the low battery message comes up it’s just the stop start isn’t happening and the radio and things turn off after about 2 mins but once I nipped up the terminals that hasn’t happened but I’ll be keeping an eye on it to see if it does it again but apart from that it drives well so far and the MPG and tax is great on it! Also I’m new to the forum so Hi everyone, thanks for having me and thanks for the fast replies! Hopefully I don’t need a new battery as I’m tight and a £250 spend or so is not what I like to do lol. Thanks again if anyone else knows anything else I can do or check let me know and I’ll Do it! Thanks again peeps
Old May 21st, 2020, 14:12   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

In this age of electronically controlled cars the ability of the battery to provide precision current for the electronics outweighs its ability to turn over the starter motor. Not to be able to turn over the engine would mean the battery was really dead but it doesn't have to be very degraded not to be able to give the ECU exactly the required current for carrying out the status checks which, if failed, produce warnings. Sadly the days of batteries on their last legs still soldiering on for years are gone. You probably need a new battery.
Old May 21st, 2020, 16:25   #6
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

I have the same. 'Battery is low' warning for a few months and just been ignoring it as car starts fine and running volts are where it should be. Because of this I do get 'alarm system malfunction' notices too. I'll wait til my car is sevriced and see what they say. Going to the dealer this time as car is 5 years old so due a sweep over.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 21:44   #7
AlexV70Drive1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
In this age of electronically controlled cars the ability of the battery to provide precision current for the electronics outweighs its ability to turn over the starter motor. Not to be able to turn over the engine would mean the battery was really dead but it doesn't have to be very degraded not to be able to give the ECU exactly the required current for carrying out the status checks which, if failed, produce warnings. Sadly the days of batteries on their last legs still soldiering on for years are gone. You probably need a new battery.
I’ll see how it goes to be honest it was cheap enough and like I say I’m tight so I don’t like spending out unless it’s a dyer situation! What is bread down cover for anyways! The battery does read 12.8 on the support battery and the big main battery so it can’t be that bad... yet at least lol the terminals were loose so I nipped them up and I’ll see how it goes! It wants a set of front discs and pads before that if I can get a half decent deal on them.. wearing thin for the last 2 mots they still work so it can wait till Oct when it’s due for mot lol
Old May 21st, 2020, 21:46   #8
AlexV70Drive1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignumGB View Post
I have the same. 'Battery is low' warning for a few months and just been ignoring it as car starts fine and running volts are where it should be. Because of this I do get 'alarm system malfunction' notices too. I'll wait til my car is sevriced and see what they say. Going to the dealer this time as car is 5 years old so due a sweep over.
Yea mate i think I’ll just see how it goes as it does run well and to be honest I think the terminals not being done up tight might have played a part in it! I’ll report back if anything changes...

Oh and thanks all for the replies! I’m new here and I feel helped and very welcome to the forum. I’ll try my best to help out others where I can!
Old May 26th, 2020, 18:24   #9
V70greg

Welcome Alex,

I brought my car high mileage and cheap (September 19), it was an ex fleet car and had been sat for a while (almost a year I guess from mileage since last MOT), several long journeys didn't remove the low battery warning.

I gave both batteries an over night charge and it has been fine ever since. I assume this winter will kill it but at least I got another year out of it.

Same as you I guess don't care too much about the stop start, so long as the car fires into life when needed.

Over the lockdown I have given the batteries a top up every week or two and the stop start can be temperamental if it hasn't be charged in the last week or so, but no warning has come up.
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 22:54   #10
AlexV70Drive1

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70greg View Post
Welcome Alex,

I brought my car high mileage and cheap (September 19), it was an ex fleet car and had been sat for a while (almost a year I guess from mileage since last MOT), several long journeys didn't remove the low battery warning.

I gave both batteries an over night charge and it has been fine ever since. I assume this winter will kill it but at least I got another year out of it.

Same as you I guess don't care too much about the stop start, so long as the car fires into life when needed.

Over the lockdown I have given the batteries a top up every week or two and the stop start can be temperamental if it hasn't be charged in the last week or so, but no warning has come up.
Hi mate thanks for the reply after i checked the voltages it still isn’t happy and gives the low battery message and shuts off the radio and whatnot so it definitely wants a battery or a good charge up. I did have a look for a charger as mine is an old one for lead acid batts not the fancy AGM ones we have now.

Mine was parked up for god knows how long with the battery disconnected so it maybe the same as yours where it needs a proper overnight charge.

Do you remember where you bought your charger and if it was a reasonable price? EBay have them for about £25 but they look abit Micky mouse for my liking. But if you used one like it from eBay then I’ll get one but I won’t bother if I can spend a little more and get a proper one with accurate readings, charging specs and will last a few charges lol.

I do feel at some point I’ll have to bite the bullet and get a battery but I want push it as far as I can!🤣 thanks again bud