Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 V40 T4 Automatic feels slow

Views : 1849

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2018, 18:43   #1
M88JCP

Default 2001 V40 T4 Automatic feels slow

Good evening everybody

I'm new to the forum and looking for some opinions / thoughts please..

I have recently purchased a 2001 V40 T4 Automatic with 122k miles. Really pleased with the car but it just feels really gutless!!! I am yet to give it a good service, but i'm wondering whether the gearbox is responsible for blunting the performance??

I have looked at the turbo actuator and had the boost solenoid tested and both are good, so no reason to believe their is a problem with the turbo. and the gearbox shifts smoothly 99% of the time

My question is, am I right in thinking that the gearbox is going to reduce the potency of the engine regardless of what I do to it? Or am I expecting too much from the stock engine?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Many thanks
M88JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 18:47   #2
sortedt4

last auto t4 i had flew mate gearbox kick down response is a bit slow for over taking.. drop it down one manually she should feel better
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 21:44   #3
M88JCP

That's good to know mate, thankyou. I'm hoping the service will perk things up abit then Daft question, can i manually change the gears?
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 22:00   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88JCP View Post
Good evening everybody

I have recently purchased a 2001 V40 T4 Automatic with 122k miles. Really pleased with the car but it just feels really gutless!!! I am yet to give it a good service, but i'm wondering whether the gearbox is responsible for blunting the performance??

I have looked at the turbo actuator and had the boost solenoid tested and both are good, so no reason to believe their is a problem with the turbo. and the gearbox shifts smoothly 99% of the time

My question is, am I right in thinking that the gearbox is going to reduce the potency of the engine regardless of what I do to it? Or am I expecting too much from the stock engine?

Many thanks
your fuel pump will be past it's best now , You need to monitor fuel pressure whilst you drive to prove it .
When you accelerate in a 200 bhp T4 things fly out the little cubby hole oddment compartments in the dash !
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 22:28   #5
M88JCP

Things certainly don't fly out of the cubby holes in my car

How would I check the cars fuel pressure?
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 10:31   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Things certainly don't fly out of the cubby holes in my car

How would I check the cars fuel pressure?
If you are not mechanically minded you can't .

but there is a test point on the fuel rail where you connect a gauge .

It is common for a T4 to loose power over 100000 miles due to fuel pump wear , always best to get the genuine Volvo T4 High capacity one from the dealer too as ones you buy elsewhere " for a T4 " may not have the capacity . so you waste your money . Even if the problem lays elsewhere you wont have wasted your money as long as you plan to keep the car as sooner or later the T4 pumps do fail at high mileage . Standard V40 pumps last and last though .
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 18:23   #7
M88JCP

That's the next thing to look at then, thanks for all your help and support
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 18:34   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

All as per Clan has said In addition to the pump I would also put a new fuel filter on, change the plugs to genuine Volvo plugs - T4's are notorious for not liking non genuine plugs - and fill up with a tank of 98 octane fuel all as part of the general service. When you have done all these things it should fly.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:54   #9
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Good evening everybody

Many thanks
You should feel a good bit of being pushed into the seat when you floor it. Are you actually putting pedal to the metal? Also check the mat under the driver well just in case its caught and is not allowing the accelerator pedal to go all the way. Probably not but has been known to happen.

My T4 Auto flies when I floor her and no need to drop down a gear to 3rd.

As has been mentioned, getting new sparks (volvo ones) and also an oil change, fuel filter, etc and make sure she has some Vpower or Momentum in her and take for a long drive. IIRC the ECU learns your driving style too so the other person may have pottered around in it.

'08 V50 2.0D

Last edited by Haizum74; Feb 18th, 2018 at 10:00.
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 18:26   #10
M88JCP

Brilliant, thanks both

I serviced the car yesterday, new fuel filter, OEM spark plugs, 2 new HT leads, air filter and both oil (fully synthetic) and filter.

Today I have done 300 miles on BP Ultimate and the car does feel better and alot quieter at high revs. However the car has become even more frustrating!!!!

When driving there are glimmers of the car accelerating really strongly, a proper wolf in sheep's clothing!!! And then two minutes later, its struggling to pull up inclines at motorway speeds and couldn't pull skin off soup!!! I was either overtaking everything or struggling to keep up with lorries!!! The car does also cut out when I put it in park sometimes???

I think this would indicate that the fuel pump is past its best as Clan said, however would this cause the car to power surge and cut out when put in park?

Haizum74: Thanks for the point re the accelerator, I can get the car to kick down and push the pedal to the floor

TBH, if I can get the car to run like a sleeper all the time, its gonna be a joy to drive..

Last edited by M88JCP; Feb 18th, 2018 at 18:32.