Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LED bulb issues? 08 V50

Views : 1156

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2014, 15:07   #1
paddyred
Master Member

Default LED bulb issues? 08 V50

I have an 08 V50 and I wondered if anyone has had any issues with fitting LED bulbs? I have the standard xenon Lights and wondered if there will be an issue with upgrading some of the filament bulbs such as reverse lights with LED upgrades. I have had rear lights blow before and had no warning on the dash so I assume I don't have a bulb indicator.
Does the brand of bulb matter? can they damage the CEM? I want to do it as cheap as possible obviously as I have seen people upgrade with £80 worth of bulbs which seems uneconomical. I don't on the other hand want to buy cheap bulbs and find they burn out electrics (although the fuse should go first) or melt light clusters! Anyone recommend a brand?
I already ordered some licence plate bulbs but I also want to get:
Reverse Lights, front side lights, indicators and possibly the rear lights and brake lights if possible although I am 50/50 about the brake lights as I don't want unreliable brake lights!
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 18:27   #2
sfstu

I've tried several leds in the sidelights at the front, I got canbus/error free ones from fleabay. All good with no warnings
(Would like some ccfl ones ideally)

Also done the number plate light with leds (same size for boot interior light). Had a slight problem, in that they didn't work at first, down to the connections between the no. plate light unit and those inside the car... A quick clean up with some wet and dry sorted that and they look good

Don't know about reverse/brake/fog/running lights at the back, personally don't think it's worth the outlay...

I also changed the orange indicator bulbs in the rear lights and also the side mirrors to chrome bulbs that flash amber/orange. Gets rid of the fried egg look!

Led's i've bought so far have all been from fleabay but I try and find uk sellers and pricewise, midrange...Lot of overpriced stuff on there but also some nice quality stuff too at reasonable prices.
It's a bit hit and miss though, have bought about 20 501/t10's of various sorts and some are better than others...

Done most of the interior but having a nightmare doing the front interior lights as the leds I ordered have been too long or too wide!
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 19:04   #3
paddyred
Master Member

Thanks for that! Il get ordering by the sounds of things! I mainly want to do my reversing lights as I do a lot of lane driving at night!
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 19:15   #4
sfstu

Some of the sellers (fizzmoto springs to mind) do a years warranty and I know my mate sent a few back after 6 months and got replacements no hassle...
I'd look at the big name led bulbs away from fleabay first to get an idea of top price then pick something not too cheap if you know what I mean!

p.s. nice car by the way, would've love to have found a white one
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 21:41   #5
paddyred
Master Member

Thanks for that, Im looking into doing the interior lights as well but need the dimable ones!

And thank-you, only trouble with white is it turns cream after about a week from iron fallout!
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 00:04   #6
Jord

I must of bought 5 different types of leds experimenting with mine as you say a too long or wide ect..

Interior 501 bulb i found best one to use was this type;
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...070843&alt=web

Link for reference only, i have no experience of that seller.

Not all bulbs are part of canbus system. If bulb fails and its not part of canbus, you will not be presented with bulb error warning.