Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tesco diesel in d5

Views : 14922

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2015, 21:59   #91
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Just to revive this one...

I've carried out rigorous scientific tests (alternating between Shell and Texaco when I remember) and my D5 XC90 definitely prefers Shell Regular. Texaco and Shell stations are placed very handily near my home and workplace so they're the brands I pretty much use all the time. The car just seems to be smoother and more responsive after 50 quids worth of Shell rather than Texaco.

Does anyone know if there's much difference between the two? Pretty sure I'm not imagining it.
Most of the garages around me are Texaco, with a few BP, however I have been working in a different area where shell garages are the norm, so filled van there. The difference was so noticeable that when passing I detoured to fill the car up, about 1/3 of a tank.
Better performance, not as noticeable as the van which was empty tank but certainly noticeable.
Were it practicable I would fill with shell from choice but will have to content myself with filling with it when able.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 16:05   #92
Squealey

Near me we only have the supermarket fuel stations (Spalding in Lincs) and I have just saved 16p per litre at my local Tesco.

I filled my S60 D5 (2003 with 330,000 miles) up and have driven on my hols to the Scottish borders. Since being here we have covered an extra few hundred miles going to Loch Lomond and Edinburgh a few times. I ended up having to put fuel in last night with 759 miles on the clock and showing almost 47mpg. That is obviously doing a very wide variety of driving and I must admit I'm well happy with that.

Cheers all
Squealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 18:24   #93
Jonny5isalive

Just brimmed mine today at Tesco, Newton Aycliffe @109.9 ppl (!) Haven't seen diesel as cheap as that for a long time. I had half a tank and was passing Tesco anyway. So will report anything I notice.
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 03:44   #94
x70jwo

The quality of Shell, Esso, BP, Total, Texaco, etc. ex refinery, in the majority of cases is much better than supermarket fuel. The latter usually is blended from cheap hydrocarbon component fractions to just meet the legal requirements (although at times, supermarket's diesel will be from a surplus refinery batch). I have compared premium with regular diesel in my XC70 D5 AWD man Polestar and found that the extra cost for premium is offset (break even) by better economy. So I'm using the premium stuff as it produces less soot keeping the particulates filter clean. Polestar in combination with normal driving improves fuel economy by 8%
x70jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 14:17   #95
green van man
Premier Member

I found the polestar made very little difference to economy but increased the size of the smile on my face

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 22:10   #96
skyship007
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by x70jwo View Post
The quality of Shell, Esso, BP, Total, Texaco, etc. ex refinery, in the majority of cases is much better than supermarket fuel. The latter usually is blended from cheap hydrocarbon component fractions to just meet the legal requirements (although at times, supermarket's diesel will be from a surplus refinery batch). I have compared premium with regular diesel in my XC70 D5 AWD man Polestar and found that the extra cost for premium is offset (break even) by better economy. So I'm using the premium stuff as it produces less soot keeping the particulates filter clean. Polestar in combination with normal driving improves fuel economy by 8%
Can't find anything to base the 8% on:

http://www.polestar.com/uk/2015/07/0...-for-purchase/

I'm sure abnormal driving to normal driving will increase the economy figures by 8%, but I can't see where this Map tune is involved.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 20:43   #97
GJB
Premier Member

Default ASDA Diesel

Was running low on fuel and Shell garage was shut down for refurbishment so filled with ASDA diesel what a mistake it had no pulling power and even added Millers diesel treatment which helped a bit but MPG was well down on normal and when towing was awful NEVER AGAIN .Have now filled with Shell and back to normal.
MY2013 XC60 D5 polestar
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote