Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972, 164

Views : 816

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2018, 16:04   #1
Louise Foley

Default 1972, 164

Hello,

My father has a 1972 Volvo 164 that had been fully restored until about 6-7 years ago. then he became ill and the car has been sitting in the garage ever since. My mam wants to sell it but i am unsure of how much money to offer for it. I have had a look on some classic car websites but it is a minefield.
Any suggestions please.

Thank you
Louise Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 17:45   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Hello and welcome to this rather exclusive part of Volvo Forums. That's because there aren't very many 164s about now - mine is one of about 3 left in Surrey/Sussex.

Putting a value on a car sight unseen is a minefield, so digital pictures help, but one can't beat seeing it in the flesh. If it has been garaged yet regularly run then it is probably very good, but long-term parked Volvo's do suffer from sticky brakes. Even one winter's disuse when my father was ill meant having to tow the car out of the garage with a pair of locked wheels.

It all depends on how it looks nowadays, especially on a relatively unfashionable car (if it had been a Volvo Amazon that would be an entirely different animal....). Are you able to post pictures on here at all: if you wanted to send private messages to people one is supposed to have 30 posts on here before you qualify, but at the bottom of these listings one can request the moderators upgrade you for continued conversation privately. If you were closer I'd take a look, but I am south of London!

At this stage don't be tempted by ebay before you have explored a decent valuation: there are classic car dealers out there who advertise without commission - that's how I sold my Volvo 144. Asking prices currently seem to be on the up (even now, at the end of the classic car show season), but I haven't heard of any actual sales. There are two in the uk now on the carandclassic website, each listed at over £10k so if yours is presentable and drives (exempt MoT test now so that guarantee doesn't exist) that might please you - but it doesn't mean it would sell quickly....

If the mods let you send PMs send me a pic or two of it and some details (carbs or injection, colour, interior condition etc) and I'll give my honest opinion of it. I hasten to add I'm not a dealer, just a 164-lover - far too old to work now!

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 20:56   #3
P4

And there are also the likes of myself who would be interested in more details.
P4 is offline   Reply With Quote