Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PCV System with aftermarket Webers Help please.

Views : 1209

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 20:02   #21
spease1984

classicswede I have the option of both but what is the difference if I connect the 123 Distributor to the Weber Carb instead of the manifold? I thought by connecting it to the manifold I was retarding the timing?

If the distributor has to be connected to the manifold then I will connect the crankcase breathing to the carburettor then??

Once all setup and it passes it's MOT then I will play about with the jets and finally have a rolling road session.
spease1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 20:17   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spease1984 View Post
classicswede I have the option of both but what is the difference if I connect the 123 Distributor to the Weber Carb instead of the manifold? I thought by connecting it to the manifold I was retarding the timing?

If the distributor has to be connected to the manifold then I will connect the crankcase breathing to the carburettor then??

Once all setup and it passes it's MOT then I will play about with the jets and finally have a rolling road session.
The 123 is a computerised ignition advance/retard timing unit which needs data input to match your ignition curve , the difference is that when you connect the Vac pipe to the manifold it senses the vacuum there all the time in all throttle position so is a good indication of the load on the engine .. IF you connect the pipe to the nipple on the carb , yes it will work in the same way EXCEPT when the throttle is shut there is NO vacuum going to the ignition unit when it should be near max vacuum reading to sense load properly .... so it must go direct to the manifold and preferable somewhere in the middle of the 4 branches to get a smooth pressure reading , if you put it in just one port , the reading is going to jump around all over the place with each pulse of air from that port .
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 09:46   #23
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

That basically explains it.

The original distributor is a mechanical advance system

The 123tune has a built in MAP sensor for the ignition table. Connecting to the carb would tell the 123 that you are on full throttle when the carb is closed

With your single carb just connect to a common area of the manifold rather than in a runner
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote