Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New vs Old

Views : 2442

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2019, 23:35   #1
Motas88

Default New vs Old

I work for a rental firm and get to drive a lot of cars, none of which are over a year and a half old! I also own a 2000 C70 which I much prefer to a lot of the cars I drive regularly.

Buttons vs touch screen, Auto-hold vs good old fashioned clutch control, 4 cylinder n/a vs 3 cylinder turbos!

Which do you prefer?

Wee bit of a fun poll!
Motas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 06:32   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I own 2 cars, one 10 years old the other 26. Wonder what that tells the world.

I did test drive a 2017 xc90 a year or so ago, computerised sofa on wheels with a lot of biult in obsolescence. Fine for the first 3 years under warrantee, a potential money pit once out.
Was not for me thanks.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 07:14   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

I own 3 cars one will be 25 on Jan 1st another 20 on same date and the newest 20 on March 1st.I too used to get to drive a wide variety of new cars as part of my work.The styling of many new cars leaves me cold and all have too many gizmos[in preparation for going autonomous I think]that I neither need,want or understand.So even given the money to do so I still wouldn't buy a new car.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 07:51   #4
Welton
Premier Member

Mine's 15 years old and the others at home nearly 10 years.

When I've driven new rentals recently they're ok but I hate the modern light steering they all seem to adopt. Also modern cars just don't come across as possible long-term partnerships....
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 09:55   #5
Beardieman

And there was me believing my 2007 p2 V70 was a modern car......😂😂 Having seen the sloping rear window on the latest models, not sure the dogs want to hit their heads on the

glass either.

Old curmudgeon. Me? No! Well, yes really.

Loved my past 245dl 1980 and 745gle 1989 models. Just saying....
Beardieman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beardieman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:39   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas88 View Post
I work for a rental firm and get to drive a lot of cars, none of which are over a year and a half old! I also own a 2000 C70 which I much prefer to a lot of the cars I drive regularly.

Buttons vs touch screen, Auto-hold vs good old fashioned clutch control, 4 cylinder n/a vs 3 cylinder turbos!

Which do you prefer?

Wee bit of a fun poll!
Old for sure , a car of your C70 quality would cost about £80000 to build these days , In comparison they rarely ( If at all ! ) give trouble , they don't deteriorate and are probably 1/3 of the cost to run as a new car .

I have 2 volvo 340 cars , one is 1980 and has done 250,000 miles and has never broken down or needed any parts other than normal service parts it even has its original rear brakes and fan belt ..
The other 1988 and exactly the same with that one, but low miles at 65000 , that even has it's original volvo coolant ..
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:41   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardieman View Post
And there was me believing my 2007 p2 V70 was a modern car......😂😂 Having seen the sloping rear window on the latest models, not sure the dogs want to hit their heads on the

glass either.

Old curmudgeon. Me? No! Well, yes really.

Loved my past 245dl 1980 and 745gle 1989 models. Just saying....
It's all relative 'Beardieman'; My own 2000 P1 V70 still feels very 'modern' after my long-tern ownership 745!

Regards, John.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 10:45   #8
Ian21401
Premier Member

I definitely do not like the modern styling.
Cannot understand how a so called estate, be it SUV, crossover or whatever they are being classed as, has a sloping rear window which seriously reduces the load capacity. I wonder how man rear tailgate windows have been damaged whilst tailgate was being closed.
Far too many gizmos which will surely fail in time and be either extremely expensive to repair or not repairable and complete replacement required.
Touch screen displays: how does the use of them when driving equate with the illegal use of handheld devices?
Give me my old fashioned basic 940. An old saying of one of my long gone uncles springs to mind. “If you cannot fix it with a pair of pliers and hammer then it cannot be fixed”

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:23   #9
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Well I've got the '98 V70 and we've just bought a Kia Stonic for the wife, all the gizmos and turbo 3 pot 1 litre engine; and I actually like both of them.
We were discussing at work last night about the latest Merc trucks which we have in the yard which are equipped with little cameras on stumpy arms and screens on the door pillars instead of mirrors, general consensus of the group I was with is that that is a gizmo too far especially as the picture quality at night is poor, and there's only one camera angle which isn't as useful as being able to move your head for a different angle on conventional mirrors. The touch screen radio in the Kia does a good job staying on channel and there's steering wheel buttons to change things, the touchscreen radio in the Merc truck looses the channel and then requires going through a couple of menu layers to try to retune it, again it seems perhaps the idea isn't the problem so much as the quality of its execution.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 11:35   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas88 View Post

Which do you prefer?

Wee bit of a fun poll!
Buttons or touch, actually don't mind

Auto Hold or Clutch Control, Auto Hold every time

4 v 3 cylinder, don't know enough about engines

I'll throw in some more

Electric boot or Manual, Electric

Climate Control or Standard Heating, Climate Control

DAB Radio or FM, DAB

USB Stick or Android Auto or Tape player / CD, USB / Android Auto

Satnav or pages of directions, Satnav

I'm sure there are plenty of others but on the whole I do love toys in a car