Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 No AWD Want to report this to BBC Watch Dog

Views : 100538

Replies : 432

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 19:23   #41
Alajota

I have had no trouble with mine
Asked wife to floor it in the tesco car park
front wheels started to spin then the rears started to spin
then she drove off
I have conti's all round
Alajota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alajota For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 20:23   #42
4wheeldriver
Master Member

I've Contis all round on mine as that was what came on it new and to be honest I've had no problems at all through all the snow we've had here last week or so. Only once it's taken a half slide that didnt really get beyond a few degrees off the staright ahead and back in she came no drama!!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 20:32   #43
Beeman

Default XC - don't make me laugh!!

I have raised the poor 'muddy lane ' performance of my 54 XC90 even with brand new WRs in the 'Which Nokians WR or NPVi thread'.
I asked how actually does one test whether the rear wheels were getting power. Gmonsta's reply 2/12/08 on page 5 mentions using a 4 wheel lift and applying the parking brake and revving slightly. The front wheels spin and the system transfers power to the back sufficient to turn the rear wheels against the pressure of the parking brake.
Is there any other way??? Is Gmonsta's way the only acid test???
I need some substantial personal evidence prior to a Watchdog listing. Given that then I'll be in!
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beeman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 21:30   #44
speedbird800

Guys,

I can only say the same thing again. If you have a problem report it to http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog

got a story.

This is the only way in my mind.... we will get this story heard! Even if you are getting rid of your car, it will force Volvo to address this issue

I have conti's all round! Plus all 4 wheels have been tracked and aligned!
speedbird800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedbird800 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 21:54   #45
GEORGEROV
GEORGEROV

Cool

Part time 4-wheel drive systems are a waste of time in my opinion. The exception being a 4matic Merc that I once had. Rusted away and was replaced by a V70 XC. What a piece of junk compared to the Merc. Replaced the XC with a Legacy Outback and that is a revelation in all respects. Trying to find Subaru forums to investigate faults and breakdowns but there are none to speak of. Cause they don't!. Teamed this up with an old Forester and that is the same. Will never go back to new model Volvo's.
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 22:22   #46
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGEROV View Post
Trying to find Subaru forums to investigate faults and breakdowns but there are none to speak of. Cause they don't!. Teamed this up with an old Forester and that is the same..
There must be more Subaru forums than anything else Scooby Foresters aren't faultless. We know, we have one.

Anyway, wasn't this thread supposed to be for those people to post about their XC90s that do actually have a problem with the AWD?

Last edited by Rockhopper; Feb 12th, 2009 at 22:30.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 01:09   #47
4wheeldriver
Master Member

As a point of interest in this you may want to have a quick look at this link

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/bef.../dealer#named2

It explains your rights in buying a car from a dealer.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:31   #48
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGEROV View Post
Part time 4-wheel drive systems are a waste of time in my opinion. The exception being a 4matic Merc that I once had. Rusted away and was replaced by a V70 XC. What a piece of junk compared to the Merc. Replaced the XC with a Legacy Outback and that is a revelation in all respects. Trying to find Subaru forums to investigate faults and breakdowns but there are none to speak of. Cause they don't!. Teamed this up with an old Forester and that is the same. Will never go back to new model Volvo's.
Subaru Legacy....Huge fuel consumption, low ground clearance, only 5 seats!

Didn't the fact your Merc rusted away tell you anything? I had an E class Merc for 6 months. Lovely engine and gearbox, but the body, it had the worst rust proofing and paint job I've seen since my 1968 minvan! I got rid the Merc after 6 months and got myself another Volvo.

Roy
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:51   #49
speedbird800

Exclamation

Hi Guys,

Can we please bring this thread back on track! It's about people who have lost AWD in their XC90's reporting this to Watch Dog.

This is the most important factor. Lets not get bogged down discussing which car is best or better. We have a problem and need to get it sorted out.

Sorry to be a bore, but the thread is hear to help each other!

Many thanks!
speedbird800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:10   #50
DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird800 View Post
Hi Guys,

Can we please bring this thread back on track! It's about people who have lost AWD in their XC90's reporting this to Watch Dog.

This is the most important factor. Lets not get bogged down discussing which car is best or better. We have a problem and need to get it sorted out.

Sorry to be a bore, but the thread is hear to help each other!

Many thanks!
Hi all,

Speedbird800 is quite right that the thread is getting hijacked!

However, should you also be asking for everyone that has not had a problem with the AWD to post? If say 5,000 people have not had a problem, and 50 have, then it appears to be a 1% failure rate. Is a 1% rate acceptable given that anything mechanical can fail?

I know that you can prove anything with statistics, but my personal feeling is that the actual failure rate of the bevel gear assembly is quite low in proportion to the total number of vehicles using the system. In contrast the original round style upper engine mount has a vastly higher failure rate and needed to be re-designed.

With all the electronics and sensors already on the XC90, I agree that it surely cannot be that difficult or costly for Volvo to add another to the collection, that will provide a warning that the AWD is not working properly.

As for knowing if the AWD is working, as Roy Macdonald has said, you can feel the power transfer occuring when accelerating through some turns. If you are not sure if yours is working, another way to check is on a clear road, with the vehicle moving at about 5mph approaching a 'T' junction or equivalent, accelerate hard as you turn. In simple terms, if your XC90 does not accelerate much, then the AWD is probably not working! If it accelerates quickly, then it is working!

My XC90's AWD is currently definitely working, as shown when having waited for several minutes for a guy in a people carrier who was attempting to drive up a steep hill in the snow but eventually had to give up, with the way now clear, by selecting Winter mode I was able to simply drive effortlessly up the hill (about 1 in 5) even though I am currently on Nokian NRVi summer tyres. I had also earlier driven up a similarly steep hill where the few pedestrians that were around, were having great difficulty staying upright because it was so slippery!
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCO For This Useful Post: