Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spring Assisters.....

Views : 1507

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2010, 17:44   #1
tml28726
VOC Member

Default Spring Assisters.....

Have decided to 'beef' up the suspension before we go on holiday...

I have purchased Grayston Spring Assisters from a local caravan shop, after they contacted those who would know to confirm the size I needed..

I was told that for my vehicle ( 1998 phase 1 V70XC ), the type I needed was GE15..

Having now measured the gap between the spring it is 25mm so clearly GE13 is the correct size. However having searching this Forum it would appear that the common size would appear to be GE15.

Before I purchase another pair, is there any member out there with a similar model who has fitted these assisters and could perhaps confirm that it is GE13 that I need.

Also I have taken a photo of the spring and inside there is a part. I wondered if anyone could tell me what it is and it's function.
It has the following inscription:
Volvo 9157311
Germany 6556-4

I am also presuming that I do not have nivomats. Is that correct for this model?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo 003.jpg (188.4 KB, 35 views)

VOC 12394
2013 V70 R design D5 Nav
tml28726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 09:54   #2
oldgit63
VOC Member

Default info

Have you jacked the car right up so the spring is fully open?.Then put the assistors in warm water and washing up liquid.Clean of the spring and feed it in to the gap.You may have done this i dont know.
oldgit63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 14:16   #3
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

They look like self levellers to me but I am not 100% sure I thinl the XC already had them fitted
as for the part inside the spring it looks like a bump stop which is designed to stop the suspension from bottoming out

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth

Last edited by JimDay; Aug 8th, 2010 at 15:40.
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimDay For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 11:44   #4
tml28726
VOC Member

Default Spring Assisters

Thanks for the replies.

I can now confirm that the shock's are in fact Nivomats...

The gap between the springs, even when the car was fully jacked up, was 25mm. That means if I buy Grayston Spring Assisters it will be type GE13. I mention this should anyone else with the same model be thinking of purchasing such items. However it would be wise to measure the gap between the springs first.

All the best..

VOC 12394
2013 V70 R design D5 Nav
tml28726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 12:21   #5
Dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml28726 View Post
Have decided to 'beef' up the suspension before we go on holiday...

I have purchased Grayston Spring Assisters from a local caravan shop, after they contacted those who would know to confirm the size I needed..

I was told that for my vehicle ( 1998 phase 1 V70XC ), the type I needed was GE15..

Having now measured the gap between the spring it is 25mm so clearly GE13 is the correct size. However having searching this Forum it would appear that the common size would appear to be GE15.

Before I purchase another pair, is there any member out there with a similar model who has fitted these assisters and could perhaps confirm that it is GE13 that I need.

Also I have taken a photo of the spring and inside there is a part. I wondered if anyone could tell me what it is and it's function.
It has the following inscription:
Volvo 9157311
Germany 6556-4

I am also presuming that I do not have nivomats. Is that correct for this model?

Thanks
Hi - I have towsures own brand fitted to my 98 S70 and they are size AS3 and fit gap 18 to 25mm and are currently on sale for £8.95 a pair. Hope this helps. Dave
Dav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dav For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 13:54   #6
Ian HT
VOC Member

Default Spring Assisters

Just in case it is of interest (and an excuse to post a pic!) I considered these spring assisters at length. I am sure they are good but in the end I bought Grayston's Auxiliary Springs (extra springs which fit around the shock absorber) as we've got them on our S70 from when my parents owned it.

They - plus some new gas shocks - did raise the rear of the car by say 20mm when unloaded. It looks "healthier" than it did and it still rides well.

I was however a little surprised on our recent holiday at how low the back of the car was when we were towing. I assume it is too much to expect miracles when all 4 of us are in the car, the back of the car is loaded and the caravan is adding another 70-ish kg on the end of the towbar!

Anyway, with all the other good advice followed (tyre pressures, loading the caravan carefully, etc.) it towed perfectly.

Whichever method you choose to stiffen the rear suspension, it should make it more stable.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70 July 2010.jpg (62.1 KB, 24 views)
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote