Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Heater Control Valve

Views : 5868

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2020, 12:59   #61
827Roverman
VOC Member

Wink Heater control valve work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
My old heater valve was leaking due to the same as above, deformed hose tubes due to someone overtightening the hoses, I was lucky and got a new one off a club member, but I saved my old one simply because my mechanic told me the valve itself was not leaking, my leaks were coming from the hoses, so one of these days I'll get round to trying to do something with it, I'm thinking along the lines of warming up the plastic hose tubes and inserting a piece of 15mm copper pipe as a liner, if it works I'll then have a spare, I tested it by holding it under water, blowing down the hose tubes, blocking off one end, it showed no signs of leaking, David.
Further to my last post, I've now done a bit of work on it, has you can see the hose tubes were badly deformed (oval) due to hoses being over tightened, I've now had a go at doing something with it, only part done one side yet, I gently warmed the plastic hose tube over the gas cooker, then inserted a section of 12mm copper pipe, which is a perfect fit, just need to cut that off now then do the other side, I should then have a working heater valve to keep as a spare, David.
P.S, I inserted the copper pipe the full depth of the hose tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6005285.jpg (115.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg S6005286.jpg (156.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg S6005288.jpg (165.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg S6005289.jpg (247.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by 827Roverman; Mar 20th, 2020 at 13:05. Reason: more info
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 13:09   #62
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like a good fix David - maybe a heat gun would be more controllable than the gas stove though?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 15:34   #63
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Sounds like a good fix David - maybe a heat gun would be more controllable than the gas stove though?
Quite true Dave, but it was hissing down and couldn't be bothered going out to the garage for it !
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 19:30   #64
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Here it is.

As said I got it from a guy on another forum and can't remember who, what or even when.

I have had a problem getting what he sent me to an acceptable size byte-wise for this Forum so in all likelihood you will have to enlarge the attachments. The words and pics are exactly how they came in to me. I have not done this work around.

The eBay pic of the valve is for an Audi but it's the same as a Golf Mk 1 which I believe comes in between £4 and 7 on eBay UK. Laird Scooby posted one of his infamous 'links' recently here. There was also talk at the time I got this that Gates made a suitable valve but I know nothing about this.

If I need to do replace the valve on a RHD non-a/c 700 Series I would give this workaround a go.

Best of luck,

Bob
As I am new to the forum, please forgive me if I should have put this post elsewhere but I thought it best placed here because it relates to the replacement of the infamous heater control valve in the RHD non A/C 700/900 series. More specifically, it involves the use of the VW Mk. 1 valve as mentioned above, hence, I put it here on this old thread.
Thanks to all earlier contributors, in this case especially Bob12, for sharing the detail that (I think LPTJoe) went to to install the VW valve. Anyway, as my trusted mechanic was doing some other work for me he also put in the VW valve. It is installed in a bit of a different way to the earlier photos so I attach some here also. TBH, I am not sure how he attached to engine side, but it looks as it should. It worked perfect and I drove it around, used the heater controls without a problem until today, day 7. On inspection, I noticed a tiny leak coming from around the nut where the cable wire is attached. Stopped the leak by tightening the nut (did not seem to need it) and also pushed the cable arm away from the valve body. I hate tiny leaks. they usually go only one way. Perhaps it is a faulty valve?? I wonder did LPTJoe’s kept working?
Anyway, just more information. I will keep you posted on my side.
Stay Safe,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.jpg (354.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0204.jpg (363.3 KB, 55 views)
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 20:13   #65
volvo-express
Master Member

Default Valve

Just read the above post and I've bought the same valve so I'm happy to see that it fits and works!
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 15:13   #66
bob12
bob12

Glad to see that it worked and possibly without the extra pipework. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 10:57   #67
90Wine745

Unfortunately, there is still a small drip there. Slight, hard to see exactly where it is coming from, but enough to bother me.
I will have to look at this again when this 'thing' is over. Before we go at it again, I would like another valve on he side in case I need it.
I will certainly be revisiting above, any other ideas or experiences would be welcome.
Take Care,
Mike
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post: