Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine running cool, oil in water

Views : 793

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2019, 10:59   #1
Alby

Default Engine running cool, oil in water

Hi guys. For a couple of weeks I've noticed the car has been running cooler than usual - temp gauge usually sits at half way mark but recently has been a couple of notches below. Yesterday on the drive to work it barely got past the quarter mark. I checked the water level and the expansion tank was almost empty (no warning light which was strange, too). Filled it up and noticed oil spots in the water - never a good sign.

I checked the oil level and that was low, too. I topped this up a few weeks ago so this isn't normal, either. Today I ran the car with the expansion tank cap off and there were no bubbles and no smell of gasses. There's a little bit of gunk of the oil filler cap but not what I'd call abnormal and none in the oil filler area. Diptick looks clean with no obvious signs of water. Engine is running fine and gearbox changing ok so my question is: Head gasket or radiator oil cooler?

I'm inclined to think it's the oil cooler but the engine temp thing has got me questioning myself. Surely if it was head gasket it would overheat rather than run too cool? Could oil in the water affect the thermostat working properly or is it just as likely to be a separate fault?

Any input is gratefully accepted.
Car is a 2004 C70 2.0 turbo auto convertible.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 11:50   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
Hi guys. For a couple of weeks I've noticed the car has been running cooler than usual - temp gauge usually sits at half way mark but recently has been a couple of notches below. Yesterday on the drive to work it barely got past the quarter mark. I checked the water level and the expansion tank was almost empty (no warning light which was strange, too). Filled it up and noticed oil spots in the water - never a good sign.

I checked the oil level and that was low, too. I topped this up a few weeks ago so this isn't normal, either. Today I ran the car with the expansion tank cap off and there were no bubbles and no smell of gasses. There's a little bit of gunk of the oil filler cap but not what I'd call abnormal and none in the oil filler area. Diptick looks clean with no obvious signs of water. Engine is running fine and gearbox changing ok so my question is: Head gasket or radiator oil cooler?

I'm inclined to think it's the oil cooler but the engine temp thing has got me questioning myself. Surely if it was head gasket it would overheat rather than run too cool? Could oil in the water affect the thermostat working properly or is it just as likely to be a separate fault?

Any input is gratefully accepted.
Car is a 2004 C70 2.0 turbo auto convertible.
You need a new coolant thermostat and also a new oil cooler on the sump ,
and a thorough cooling system flush out with an emulsifier . You may get away with the hoses if the oil has not been in there long , but the hot oil does soak into the rubber hoses and eventually ruins them and they burst . A full set of hoses will cost around £300 ! The biggest part of this job is the clean up .
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 12:10   #3
Alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You need a new coolant thermostat and also a new oil cooler on the sump ,
and a thorough cooling system flush out with an emulsifier . You may get away with the hoses if the oil has not been in there long , but the hot oil does soak into the rubber hoses and eventually ruins them and they burst . A full set of hoses will cost around £300 ! The biggest part of this job is the clean up .
Yeah, that's what I thought. Oil hasn't been in the system long as there was none there last time I checked a week or so ago. I'll give that a bash first and see how it goes. Seems like the cheapest option

Cheers!
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 12:14   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above - H/G failure is very rare on these unless they've been properly cooked by running with bad overheating. Beware the low temperature reading, this could be due to the coolant level being below that of the sensor, it could still be overheating.

Re. cleaning the system out, a good trick that definitely works is to rebuild the system, then run it for a few miles with a mixture of clean water and clothes washing liquid in the system, this is pretty good at dissolving the oily residues and leaves it a lot cleaner. You may choose to drain this and do it again, with a final drain/refill of the correct coolant antifreeze mixture.

I'd recommend fixing this pronto, and don't run it any more until sorted.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 13:50   #5
Alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
As above - H/G failure is very rare on these unless they've been properly cooked by running with bad overheating. Beware the low temperature reading, this could be due to the coolant level being below that of the sensor, it could still be overheating.

Re. cleaning the system out, a good trick that definitely works is to rebuild the system, then run it for a few miles with a mixture of clean water and clothes washing liquid in the system, this is pretty good at dissolving the oily residues and leaves it a lot cleaner. You may choose to drain this and do it again, with a final drain/refill of the correct coolant antifreeze mixture.

I'd recommend fixing this pronto, and don't run it any more until sorted.
Don't worry, the car is definitely off the road until it's fixed. I've had the same thing happen to a Corsa I had once so I know what I'm up against with flushing the system. I'm sort of relieved it's just the oil cooler and not the Rad or HG
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 20:53   #6
Alby

Just a quick update on this to say after changing oil cooler and thermostat everything is fine.

Apart from one of my back springs snapping on the way home from work tonight
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 14:17   #7
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Alby

It may warm your heart to know you are not alone

After 11 months i finally sorted out all the tools and kit to change the timing belt on my Saffy R. Drove to my girlfriends put her on stands to discover some tick turd had obliterated the timing marks on the cams and replaced them with 2 marks, one of which cannot be in the correct position !!

Had a chat with John at Volvo Services in Wickford and agreed in the circs I would get him to do it. He then confirms my suspicion that the offside lower engine mount is completely shot and of course all parts stores are closed !!

Oh the joys !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote