Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PNP switch removal

Views : 2002

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2020, 10:07   #21
stevepcar
Steve

Default Auto Transmission warning light

Still in the process of removing Auto Transmission from my 1996 T5 850. Have a real problem removing the Torx screws to release the Torque converter from the flywheel. Took several hours to remove just 3 of the 6. I have already started to damage the heads of the remaining ones & really don't want to keep on at them, in case I cannot get the Torx bit to engage with them anymore. So this might seem a stupid question, but can I remove the gearbox without detaching the Torque converter from the flywheel? Will it cause damage to anything, or is it almost impossible to re-attach the box without damaging anything, with the converter still attached to the flywheel? I guess I should have used an air tool from the beginning, but I was afraid of shearing the heads off. Any advice gratefully received.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 10:19   #22
stevepcar
Steve

Please all you sensible people ignore my last post. I now realise that the flex plate is sandwiched between the flywheel & the torque converter & bolted to the flywheel, so the answer to my question is no what a fool.
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 10:49   #23
stevepcar
Steve

Ref my last post. I am not sure if I am being an idiot. Do the Torx bolts go through the flywheel and Flex Plate screw into the Torque converter? If so is it possible to remove the transmission & leave the Torque converter bolted on?
I am really confused.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 15:26   #24
stevepcar
Steve

Default Torx Bolts

I have managed to get the Torx bolts out of my Torque converter, but they all need replacing as the heads are generally chewed up. As a long shot has anybody any of them in good condition. Just to be sure they are the 6 x Torx head bolts that hold the Torque Converter to the Flywheel on a 1996 850 T5 Auto transmission.
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 08:47   #25
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Steve

Surely worth getting new from Volvo?

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 14:06   #26
stevepcar
Steve

Thanks I managed to get some Volvo ones from Caffyns in Eastbourne. They seem very reasonable & have had everything I have asked for so far.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 17:27   #27
stevepcar
Steve

Well after several weeks on and off, I have finally finished fitting the second hand auto box to my 1996 850 T5 Turbo. Quite a hard & sometimes tricky job, but all worth it when I took it for a test drive & no warning light! Now all I need to do is have the manual box out of my 10 V 850 to fix the main oil seal leak. After I have changed the PCV system that caused the leak in the first place. Should be a doddle after wrestling with the auto box.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2020, 16:04   #28
stevepcar
Steve

Default PNP Switch

Continuing story, this point might be of use to anybody that is experiencing trouble with reversing lights not working. After successfully replacing the auto box on my T5 with a second hand one, I started getting problems with the car not turning over in Park or Neutral. So I did the old trick of iperating the ger shift with the engine off about 20-times. This cured it until the next time, I also noticed that the reversing lights were not working. When I got the S/h box it already had the PNP switch in position, so I let sleeping dogs lie & just left it alone. I found a good article on Mathews Volvo site that explained how to adjust the PNP position, by checking when the reversing lights came on. After about 5-attempts, I still couldn't get the lights to come on in any position. So I stripped the original PNP switch off the old gbox dismantled it cleaned it filled it with silicone grease & fitted it to the new box. I had roughly lined it up by eye with the ridge that runs on the PNP cover. Not only does it start in P & N but the reversing lights came on. I will now strip down the one that I took off & service that one as a spare.
Those of you that had been following this thread & the trouble I had getting the original switch off, will smile when I tell you that the reason I couldn't get it off, was because I had not snapped off the 2-little lugs at the back of the electrical connector. Once they have gone the whole assembly comes apart with a small penknife & a small set of mole grips. When you re-assemble the cable ties keep it all together.
This restoration job has improved my mechanical skills enormously & it is a constant learning curve.
Good luck to anybody attempting the same .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post: