Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil splatter from rad fan housing

Views : 605

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2020, 19:11   #1
7 Seat Sports Car

Default Oil splatter from rad fan housing

Hi folks, I noticed this afternoon while checking fluid levels that there is evidence of oil spray all over the front of my engine and bonnet soundproofing. It’s a ‘99 V70 T5.

After poking around trying to determine a likely source I discovered rather a lot of oil on my fan housing especially where the ecu cooling pipe fits in to it near the coolant top hose to thermostat. I took that air pipe out and oil was running out of the hole. The splatter spread seems to tie in with that being the epicentre of the oil leak. How does oil even get there?

The oil level was below the cross hatched area on the dipstick and since been topped up. Coolant was also on min and it has no history of excessive fluid consumption. I’m confused as to why I’d be losing these fluids AND have oil spraying out of the rad fan housing.

It has had a new PCV box and pipe work replacement and new radiator within the last year or 2. I’d be inclined to think head gasket but I fitted a new one 60k ago when I replaced all 10 exhaust valves and their stem seals. I’d be disappointed if its failed already. Other thought is a bad turbo. Would it be able to consume oil and water? I’ve had an oil coating on the pipes from turbo up to inlet manifold for the 10 years I’ve owned it but never had it leaking like this. No billowing smoke from exhaust on start up. How can I determine if the turbo is worn out? How much play is too much?

Car still drives fine and There has been no howling from turbo. Does anyone have any thoughts? I’ll be taking stuff apart tomorrow but any ideas on where to look when I do would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Drew
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 21:31   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Seat Sports Car View Post
Hi folks, I noticed this afternoon while checking fluid levels that there is evidence of oil spray all over the front of my engine and bonnet soundproofing. It’s a ‘99 V70 T5.

After poking around trying to determine a likely source I discovered rather a lot of oil on my fan housing especially where the ecu cooling pipe fits in to it near the coolant top hose to thermostat. I took that air pipe out and oil was running out of the hole. The splatter spread seems to tie in with that being the epicentre of the oil leak. How does oil even get there?

The oil level was below the cross hatched area on the dipstick and since been topped up. Coolant was also on min and it has no history of excessive fluid consumption. I’m confused as to why I’d be losing these fluids AND have oil spraying out of the rad fan housing.

It has had a new PCV box and pipe work replacement and new radiator within the last year or 2. I’d be inclined to think head gasket but I fitted a new one 60k ago when I replaced all 10 exhaust valves and their stem seals. I’d be disappointed if its failed already. Other thought is a bad turbo. Would it be able to consume oil and water? I’ve had an oil coating on the pipes from turbo up to inlet manifold for the 10 years I’ve owned it but never had it leaking like this. No billowing smoke from exhaust on start up. How can I determine if the turbo is worn out? How much play is too much?

Car still drives fine and There has been no howling from turbo. Does anyone have any thoughts? I’ll be taking stuff apart tomorrow but any ideas on where to look when I do would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Drew
Typical symptoms of a leaking intercooler which is in front of the coolant radiator .
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 17:34   #3
7 Seat Sports Car

Cheers for the reply.

It transpires the coolant leak was a loose clamp on the radiator to reservoir return hose.

The intercooler was clean but I found the oil dipstick was proud of the end of its tube. Why is a question I have no answers for but hoping its not excess crank pressure bypassing piston rings. I’m not one for failing to put the dipstick fully home and its got a whole new pcv system so can’t think of anything else it could be other than poor grip from the dipstick seal.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 22:08   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Redo the rubber glove test on both the filler cap and dipstick and report.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 18:39   #5
7 Seat Sports Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Redo the rubber glove test on both the filler cap and dipstick and report.
Really good vacuum on oil filler cap, always has been to be fair. No smoke from dipstick tube and there wasn’t before I replaced the PCV box and associated plumbing. I replaced it as the car has over 220k and thought it was worth doing before any nasties caught me out.

Did a compression test too, 155,160,160,160 & 165 dry, 170,170,170,175 & 170 with a slug of oil.

Probably just a weak dipstick seal. The top snapped off the other day too so got a new twin seal version on its way. Hopefully that’ll see me right.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Appreciated.