Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 turbo B230ET intercooler pipes

Views : 578

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 00:16   #1
Aubergine S70

Default 760 turbo B230ET intercooler pipes

Hi, after looking in my 760 turbo I realised that the CBV valve is missing. This is due to the previous owner running the car without a turbo and everything was missing. I’ve managed to source everything to rebuild the turbo side over the past year put can’t seem to find the correct intercooler pipes where the CBV vacuum hose is attached. I’ve noticed that the car doesn’t seem to feel as powerful as my previous one and is only doing 23 MPG max on the motorway and has a high idle. To be honest I think everything is out of sync such as the idle control valve and the air fuel mixture on the MAF sensor. My question is could this be all down to the missing CBV valve and does anyone know of some original intercooler pipes for the Garrett T3 and also any advice on how to set the engine up correctly such as fuel air mixture and idle.

Thanks
Aubergine S70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 01:52   #2
Jebus
VOC Member

Without knowing what the previous owner actually did, until the turbo etc is back on be had to narrow down the running issues, and I am pretty sure that the 760 will be motronic not lh2.4 so not sure how that setup works but there are guys on here that will know their way around it.

However, there isn't any need to try and get hold of the standard bypass valve by pierburg(strange metal thing bolted to front of the cylinder head)they are expensive but very reliable, and not easy to come by, a good and often used replacement is a Bosch CBV from some Audis/Porches/Saabs all have similar parts nos are 0280142110 (for saab others have different 3 numbers on the end

Pipe work side, the turbo is in the same space as the later TD04's on a 940 etc so you just need the pipework from one of them, IIRC the A/C cars are different as there is a different intercooler placement, so that will depend on what is in the car in that regard.

Plumbing it in, is also pretty easy, you need some 25mm(1 American freedom unit) hose, silicon or rubber will be fine and some hose take offs, one take off onto the main intake hose between the airbox and the turbo inlet and the other onto the short hose coming off the top of the turbo going to the intercooler, and then it just needs the regular boost reference hose off the top of it to the inlet manifold, 4mm tube will do.

The 760 as standard had a molded take off in the main intake pipe and a stub coming from the metal top intercooler pipe, but you should just have enough room to sneek one on the short rubber pipe worst case a slightly longer connector would be needed

They are a decent swap if everything is standard, but if you plan on tuning it could well be a good idea to use a better aftermarket one

I have some 760 pipe work somewhere that i grabbed from the 760 I robbed for the 531 head and T3 that came through my work which I will try and find to take some photos for you.

Valve on ebay

Some info on the valve

Hose take offs

GFB uprated CBV

Turbobricks thread with a couple useful photos

Turbobricks again showing the setup

Apologies if its a bit of a ramble, its late and im bored out my nut on lockdown

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 09:00   #3
Aubergine S70

Hi, thanks for that very informative. The previous removed the turbo, so all the intercooler pipes, drain feed and valve we’re missing with a few bodges here and there. I managed to find a t3 turbo last year and an original feed and drain. I also have an original valve that bolts to the front of the head but have been struggling to fit it as I think the vacuum hose for that connects to the intercooler pipe?. However for the time being I’ve cobbled together intercooler pipes from a 940 lpt connected to one hose that came with the car and have been looking for some original pipes.
Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 11:10   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Do you have a proper Haynes Owners Workshop Manual for it? Not one of their half-baked "Service & Repair" manuals that are a good substitute for Andrex!

If so, all the information you need should be in there including mixture adjustment, base idle speed setting and so on.

You won't get decent economy and power with either of those set incorrectly, the Haynes explains how to do this in good detail.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...L/254548005160

There are several of the right sort of Haynes manuals on fleabay, however the only one that was printed later and covers 82-91 and therefore extra information not available when the earlier ones were printed is this one above. There may be a couple more hidden in the more expensive ones but you're getting into silly money for a secondhand book by then!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 17:55   #5
Jebus
VOC Member

Glad it was helpful to you, found were I had the pipes so:

This is the collection of pipes and bypass valve thingy from the 89 car I have, the photos are a bit crap, let me know if need anything else

by Jebus, on Flickr

When on the car should be roughly this sort of arrangement

by Jebus, on Flickr

by Jebus, on Flickr

by Jebus, on Flickr

This little pipe is the one that you want to go off to the inlet manifold as the boost reference for the valve

by Jebus, on Flickr

The 760 also did not have the take off for the pcv hose, went to atmosphere via a filter according to the parts diagrams

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 18:19   #6
griston64
Premier Member

Was the brush vacuum head an optional extra or did it come fitted as standard ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 19:58   #7
Jebus
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Was the brush vacuum head an optional extra or did it come fitted as standard ?
A very rare option indeed haha

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 20:41   #8
Aubergine S70

Managed to take a few photos of the current set up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCA37753-A4AA-4A28-B672-0D9129A7633C.jpg (64.0 KB, 10 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aubergine S70 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 20:44   #9
Aubergine S70

I managed to make some pipes of of an original one that came with the car and some off a 940. The hose from the airbox to the turbo is 2 hoses together, which was only temporary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450B1594-4FFE-47DC-B398-7736E6DF7A06.jpg (82.5 KB, 11 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aubergine S70 For This Useful Post: