Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M.o.t. Advice

Views : 1368

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 08:57   #1
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default M.o.t. Advice

hi all
i usually take my 940 for mot around 20th APRIL it expires on 14th MAY
spoke to my garage and they are still open they suggest i have it done . what are your views with having this grace now till october im tempted to take it but is there any gain
regards jim
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 09:01   #2
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

As there has been the extension for MOT's you don't need to get it done.

Don't risk spreading infection by getting it done, that's irresponsible and pointless and potentially life threatening, if not for you then maybe someone you know or get into contact with.

Find the MOT checklist and check it yourself if you are worried, have a look especially at any advisories from previous years. If you need any assistance post a photo up here and there will be lots of people who can help.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 10:52   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi all
spoke to my garage and they are still open they suggest i have it done . what are your views with having this grace now till october im tempted to take it but is there any gain
regards jim
In addition to Robs excellent advice Jim, i'm more or less in the same boat with my Rover as the MoT expires on the day before yours. Like you i would normally put it in a bit early to give myself breathing space for any problems.

The rolling extension of 6 months will appear about a week before your current MoT is due, you can check the MoT History page to check not only any advisories but also the expiry date which should (so i've read somewhere else) "magically" extend by 6 months about a week before the test is in fact due.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

I'm planning on attending to any advisories (didn't have any! ) and any other little bits i know of in the extra 6 months so when it comes up in November and hopefully this poxy CV-19 is nothing but a nasty taste in our mouths, it should go straight through.

In the meantime, there's a lot you can do yourself to make sure it's roadworthy, checking tyres for cuts, bulges, perishing and tread depth, not forgetting pressures. Visual checks of the shock absorbers followed if necessary by the bounce test where you push down as hard ad you can on each corner and release. The car should rebound slightly higher than normal and settle straightaway. If the front seems a bit "wooly" and the car feels vague and wanders at speed, chances are the front shocks are on their way. Likewise if it feels like the back end is floating in jelly between the car and the road, rear shocks are tired.

After that, on a clear road, slow down to about 30mph and let go (but have your hands near) the steering wheel and hit the brakes. It should pull up in a straight line. Any pulling to one side will be obvious.

After that a visual inspection of the underside and any areas known to rust, check your lights, wipers, washer levels etc and listen for any untoward noises when cornering/turning etc.

You're the one that drives your car so you know of its normal noises etc, anything new in terms of noise is a concern, old noises not so much. Also check to make sure your ABS warning light comes on with key position 2 and goes out once the engine starts and stays out. Ditto the engine management light if you have one.

With the best will in the world, these checks won't guarantee you a pass but will inrease the chances considerably and help avoid any nasty surprises come the "M-Day".

Good luck with it and enjoy your 18 month MoT!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 12:34   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi all
regards jim
There is going to be a massive queue for MOT tests when this crisis is over , I would just get a fresh MOT now if you can find a place open nearby of course so you can combine it with a shopping trip and bit of exercise .. ..
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 12:39   #5
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is going to be a massive queue for MOT tests when this crisis is over , I would just get a fresh MOT now if you can find a place open nearby ...

I agree - provided that you can keep a good distance away from anyone in the test centre (I'd go for 3m at least). Also, you'll probably be using a card for payment, so make sure you have some gloves.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 13:19   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There is the other side of the coin that MoT stations will deliberately find things "wrong" to boost their business as they know that without an MoT the car is just an expensive ornament for the owner during this epidemic.

Most stations are honest and won't do this but i've seen it done by unscrupulous stations even in normal times, particularly to lady drivers.

I'm not sure there will be massive queues, if the DVSA has any sense it will mitigate those queues by automatically extending subsequent MoTs by firstly 5 months then 4, 3, 2 and finally 1 month to give a parachute delay to having monstrous queues for MoTs as the knock-on effect of roughly half the drivers in the country having a 6 month extension is they are likely to get priority come testing time so something will need to be done for the other motorists.

What is of paramount importance at the moment is to not expose yourself more than is necessary to anyone else - if you don't care about the probability of catching CV-19, go ahead and get an MoT now, if you would rather be healthy and have a longer MoT, use the extension so you don't infect yourself or because you've caught it, anyone else!

There are several ways of looking at the situation, i know my preference and will be using the extension!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 13:43   #7
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

A realistic answer made here:~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (29.1 KB, 29 views)
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 14:04   #8
bob12
bob12

To the invaluable self-inspection advice above I would add that the 'bounce test' is not appropriate for those cars fitted with Nivomat rear suspension as they don't bounce like a normal shock absorber. However, you can inspect a Nivo visually and if it is weeping oil that's a big no,no!!

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Apr 3rd, 2020 at 14:18.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 15:29   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

As I mentioned, The Telegraph has reported that vehicle MOT dates will be individually updated that is extended online about one week before their current expiry date.

However. I wonder if that perhaps strange plan MIGHT be for the government to be able to stop the scheme as the situation hopefully resolves?

I do not feel confident what will happen as general restrictions begin to be lifted. The MOT extension arrangement could become cancelled. If so I hope warning will be given so we have time to get our cars tested and get any work done.

I haven't heard that there will be any priority for testing.

For now I anticipate relying on the extension.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 16:46   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
To the invaluable self-inspection advice above I would add that the 'bounce test' is not appropriate for those cars fitted with Nivomat rear suspension as they don't bounce like a normal shock absorber. However, you can inspect a Nivo visually and if it is weeping oil that's a big no,no!!

Bob
Good point Bob - i forgot about Nivos!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: