Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 825337

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 08:50   #541
putt1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
So what did they use to lift the car up? ... surely not a 2/4 post ramp or a mechanic called Mongo ... would seem a bit excessive or a very quiet garage
4 post ramp, although one of the mechanics did look like he could lift it! The garage has as many ramps as mechanics - I think it was originally a commercial vehicle setup which the current owners have adapted to consumer, hence the level of equipment. They did 4 wheel alignment for £70 once they'd fitted the new tyres too.
putt1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 13:28   #542
paultyler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uselesshippy View Post
Hi, well bit the bullet and got the General grabber GT's all round, checked all the online sites and they were generally coming back around 140 per rim plus fitting. Thought I try some local indies and found one who do them for 132 per rim all in, and they could get them in a couple of hours.
Tyres are funny things to price while I was pricing the GT's thought I,d ask for Maxxis MASAS as some of the online sites has good deals on them. But the Indys were all dearer for them than the GT,s and in some cases the Pirelli.
Weird. Well off to France now so these will be well broken in.
Anyone got any more comments re the General Grabber GT's? They seem to be coming in cheaper than the GG UHP's but are they as good?
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
paultyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 15:57   #543
Carrizos

I had some GTs fitted yesterday from Andy's tyres near Penzance, all in 127 per tyre. The tread pattern is very different to the UHPs and I have only done 180 miles on them but they seem fairly grabby in the wet and are just as quiet.
Carrizos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 22:42   #544
paultyler1

Are the General Grabber GT's a summer or all season tyre? Different websites quote different specifications.
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
paultyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 13:27   #545
doddiej

I had 4 General Grabber GT 255/50 R19 Ys fitted (£162 from Black Circles, including fitting) a couple of weeks ago. Done about 400 miles now - think they may be a little quieter than the original Pirellis and felt assured in the wet. Time will tell how they wear of course.
doddiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 14:43   #546
Nick2

I have just been offered a good deal for a set of Goodyear Wranglers by local supplier. I am keen to dump my supersoft Contis but can I use the silly Continental emergency puncture kit with Goodyears?

Thanks

Nick
BMW Convertible
Nick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 14:51   #547
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Default Selling my Vredstiens

As I'm not going to be able to wear out my Vredstien Wintrac 4 Extremes with my annual millage. I've decided to eBay them so someone can get more use out of them. I've done 25,000 miles on them for 1.5mm of wear. They have 5.5 mm left. So a high miler could get over 50,000 miles out of them still.

I've replaced them with another set of the same.

My daughter put them on eBay yesterday if any one is interested. I asked her to advertise them in pairs in case anyone doesn't need a whole set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vreds4.jpg (277.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Vreds3.jpg (242.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Vreds2.jpg (177.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Vreds1.jpg (133.4 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Sep 23rd, 2013 at 14:59.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 15:24   #548
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick2 View Post
I have just been offered a good deal for a set of Goodyear Wranglers by local supplier. I am keen to dump my supersoft Contis but can I use the silly Continental emergency puncture kit with Goodyears?

Thanks

Nick
TBH, I wouldnt ever use it, unless a real emergency, why? a lot of tyre repair outfits will refuse to clean the tyre to allow them to repair the puncture, and will condemn the tyre and want to replace it, nurse it along if you can to your nearest tyre repair.

Or if you can fit a spare wheel winch and buy a spacesaver tyre/wheel combo, R-Design/Sport excepted (it wont fit)

Last edited by TruckbusUK; Sep 23rd, 2013 at 15:27.
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 15:32   #549
Nick2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
TBH, I wouldnt ever use it, unless a real emergency, why? a lot of tyre repair outfits will refuse to clean the tyre to allow them to repair the puncture, and will condemn the tyre and want to replace it, nurse it along if you can to your nearest tyre repair.

Or if you can fit a spare wheel winch and buy a spacesaver tyre/wheel combo, R-Design/Sport excepted (it wont fit)
I agree Robin and having driven 2.5k miles in France this summer I was quite nervous about having a flat as I just had the silly pump stuff. I guess I should sort out a winch and spare sometime before its too late....

Thanks

Nick
BMW Convertible
Nick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 21:44   #550
semo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler1 View Post
Are the General Grabber GT's a summer or all season tyre? Different websites quote different specifications.
I wouldn't consider any tyre to be all season or winter capable without a three peak snowflake symbol. That's just my opinion. The M+S (mud+snow) markings are mostly meaningless as nothing governs the use of this designation so manufacturers can imprint those on anything.

Good starting point would be Dunlop Grandtrek Touring, Nokian WR G2 or
Vredestein QUATRAC 3 SUV. The Nokians are classed as a winter tyre in the UK but in the US, it is marketed as all season. However, the asymmetric tread design is typical of 4 season tyres so I believe the US classification to be more accurate.
semo is offline   Reply With Quote