Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Apple Carplay cost

Views : 14414

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2018, 08:14   #11
2funky

I'm an iTunes subscriber, so it's makes all worth. Add to that that Waze will finally be on the CarPlay.

Also, while I'm never using siri around people as it's still quite embarrassing being alone in a car is perfect environment to use Siri/Google Assistant.

Last edited by 2funky; Jun 5th, 2018 at 08:18. Reason: spelling
2funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 08:33   #12
paramed-one

Default Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who replied - it appears the general consensus is that it's simply not worth spending £350 on.
paramed-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:06   #13
Considered1
Premier Member

Third party apps like Waze will arrive with IOS 12 later this year.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:34   #14
Wobbly

I use car play sometimes. Road traffic data is better than Volvo’s - but that can be said about any of the 3rd party nav apps I’ve tried. Apple’s announcement to allow 3rd party apps is significant for me.

Replying to a text message via Siri is a nice to have and will be more important to some than others. Personally I quite like being “uncontactable” when it suits. I can’t reply to a text message by voice unless I use Car Play, and I don’t touch the phone at all when driving.

I sometimes use podcasts and I n a recent trip abroad I used the BBC radio app to listen to some sport which was not available on the Tune In app, but I think I could’ve accomplished the same without car play (Bluetooth).

Could I live without it? Yes. Do I regret buying it? No.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 09:43   #15
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggyG View Post
Yesterday Apple announced support for 3rd Party Nav apps on CarPlay, so might make a difference when released in September time.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/04...ng-to-carplay/
That's great news!

Also, rather than using the Sensus-integrated Spotify app I run Spotify on my phone- 5 months of ownership and 11000kms in- the Sensus has never crashed/misbehaved on me. It goes along my theory that most if not all issues with Sensus are network/4G modem related.. (and I'm an IT professional- I should know what I'm talking about..)
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 18:26   #16
etsandy

Hello!

I got Android Auto fitted just over a month ago by the dealership, £350 and approx 3 hours. They removed my single usb port and replaced with the oft debated double hub.

Personally I am a big fan of android auto, I can't speak for Apple. I have a 1.5 hour commute each way daily and listen to allot of audio books (Audible) and Podcasts, that are all controlled from AA. I generally would use Sensus for Nav due to its integration in my dash display, however when I hit traffic Android auto gives (in my opinion) a more dynamic recommended route.

I used AA in my old Astra and was shocked it was standard in that spec but not a premium Volvo (S90 RD), I missed the features and voice control of AA.

Closing statement: If you have used it before and liked it and used it's integrated features it's worth the 350. If to date you have got by without it and not find the Sensus system lacking, save your cash.

Hope this helps!
etsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 19:30   #17
senwar

I am not a fan of CarPlay. I paid £260 to have it retro fitted on my previous car when I ended up getting a cancelled order. I hated it.

I wouldn’t have specced it myself but my XC40 came with it (first edition). To be honest I find it tons better than the VW version I had. Sound quality is steeets ahead of Bluetooth

However - no it’s not worth that much money as a retro. Definitely not. It feels like it’s not been developed in a long time. I’m glad I have it to be honest but it’s not what you’d expect.
senwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 13:57   #18
Beavis
Premier Member

i am a big apple user. i have it on my skoda superb. was a £150 option. i only use it 10% of the time. i have all my music on a memory card, and just use the bluetooth connection for the phone.
i've used the text message system a couple of times and it never got it correct. i also found very few apps work on car play when the car is in motion.

if it was standard, i'd accept it, but i'm just looking at a new V90 r design, and i won't be bothered if it has it or not.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, carplay, inscription, software upgrade, v90