Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Model Year 2019

Views : 38210

Replies : 232

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2018, 10:02   #101
lalith16

Hurrah!!! Finally, I’ve placed an order (MY19 XC60 T5 Inscription Pro) with another dealer following some issues with the previous order (MY18.5 XC60 D5 Inscription Pro) with a different dealer who took my deposit and then after two weeks said Volvo won’t be able to deliver the car with my choice of drift wood inlays due to supply issues.

As one can notice above, in the meantime I changed my mind from a D5 to a T5 following feedback from few members in this forum, reviews on the internet, some number crunching and a test drive of T5 XC60. I hope I have made the right decision, which I am sure time will tell whether I have or not.

The amount of discount that I was able to negotiate off the list price meant that MY19 XC60 is costing me only £400 more compared to my previous XC60 MY18.5 order, to which I didn’t add HUD and Keyless Start options. The variation in the list price itself between both MY19 and MY18.5 XC60s is in excess of £1200. In addition to this saving, HUD system and Keyless Start come as standard on a MY19 Inscription Pro, which would have otherwise costed me around £1250 more on my previous order of MY18.5 XC60 if I had added these options previously.

As they say it....everything happens for good - I mean my first order fell apart and had to go out and search for better discount rates with other dealers, which fortunately I got and in the process also ended up bagging a latest version (MY19) of the car and I also hope that this gave me an opportunity to rethink the engine option and subsequently switched to T5, which I hope is the right decision......I am really chuffed about it!!!

This is the car that I’ve ordered:
MY19 XC60 T5 INSCRIPTION PRO AWD AUTOMATIC
INTELLISAFE PRO PACK
XENIUM PACK
CONVENIENCE PACK
FUSION RED METALLIC PAINT
HEATED REAR SEATS
SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION
4-ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
DARK TINTED WINDOWS
POWER CHILD LOCKS REAR DOORS
BLOND SEATS/CHARCOAL INTERIOR
DRIFT WOOD INLAYS
20” 8-SPOKE ALLOYS
HUD (sacrificed heated windscreen)

I was informed by the dealer that if I want to tweak my order I can still do it until a lockdown date, which they will let me know soon. I am still wondering how amber seats and charcoal interior look like in reality, which unfortunately I couldn’t see to-date as there were no demo cars with that combination on at any of the dealers I visited. Any thoughts, feedback, opinions from lovely co-members are welcome and will be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks a lot to all those who contributed so far to my thinking process with your knowledge, experience, reasoning and time.

Last edited by lalith16; Mar 7th, 2018 at 10:08.
lalith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lalith16 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 11:29   #102
Bernard F

I know you are going to be very happy with your spec. As much as I loved my previous D5 one week into the T5 and all was forgotten. It’s just fabulous. One word of warning, if you do frequent very short journeys the mpg will take an almighty tumble and it takes a fair while to recover the overall consumption with longer journeys.
Personally I would always take the heated windscreen over HUD. Remotely switching on an iced up car for five minutes and watching it clear is magic and as I have never had HUD it did not worry me.
Finally, and it’s only my opinion, when you open the doors and look on Blond upholstery and driftwood it’s just wonderful to see.
Enjoy your new car when it arrives and don’t lose too much sleep in The meantime.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 12:30   #103
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Lalith16
That’s an excellent spec & would be almost identical to my next MY19.5 XC60.
As you have gone for a pretty high spec, the only additional things you may wish to consider are:
1. Tempa Spare wheel £150. I would feel exposed on some of the Welsh lanes I use if all I had was a can of liquid to fix a puncture.
2. Sound system. As an avid music lover I will be opting for the new MY19 onwards Premium Sound system from Harman Kardon which doubles the sound upto 600W and gives a Subwoofer at £825. Whilst I would had been tempted by the B&W system, the price tag of £2,500 was just one step too far.
3. Polestar. Without knowing your driving style, if you like that little bit extra get up and go and improved gear change optimisation then you should consider this option @ £835. If you are thinking you will try the car 1st and then decide, my advise is if you think there is a greater than 50% possibility of going for - then order it as part of the new car so it “comes” supplied with it already on.
Why you may ask - many Insurance Co’s then do not consider it as an aftermarket extra and view it as “part” of the car. My insurer - LV - only charged me an additional £24/annum because they said it was manufacturer supplied by being on the same Invoice as the car itself. Worth thinking about?.
4. Towbar. I use mine for a towbar bike carrier. The two previous XC60’s both had dealer fitter towbar, but the latest models now have a factory fitted towbar option which with the changes required to the hands free tailgate operation makes better sense.
5. Lastly. Without spending too much of your money have you seen the new MY19 styling kit option @ £1,350. I especially just love the rear end mods that converts the twin exhaust into a quad exhaust layout........it looks the business for a T5 especially in your Red colour.

Food for thought whilst you wait for the lockdown date.........!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 15:37   #104
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
Hurrah!!! Finally, I’ve placed an order (MY19 XC60 T5 Inscription Pro) with another dealer following some issues with the previous order (MY18.5 XC60 D5 Inscription Pro) with a different dealer who took my deposit and then after two weeks said Volvo won’t be able to deliver the car with my choice of drift wood inlays due to supply issues.

As one can notice above, in the meantime I changed my mind from a D5 to a T5 following feedback from few members in this forum, reviews on the internet, some number crunching and a test drive of T5 XC60. I hope I have made the right decision, which I am sure time will tell whether I have or not.

The amount of discount that I was able to negotiate off the list price meant that MY19 XC60 is costing me only £400 more compared to my previous XC60 MY18.5 order, to which I didn’t add HUD and Keyless Start options. The variation in the list price itself between both MY19 and MY18.5 XC60s is in excess of £1200. In addition to this saving, HUD system and Keyless Start come as standard on a MY19 Inscription Pro, which would have otherwise costed me around £1250 more on my previous order of MY18.5 XC60 if I had added these options previously.

As they say it....everything happens for good - I mean my first order fell apart and had to go out and search for better discount rates with other dealers, which fortunately I got and in the process also ended up bagging a latest version (MY19) of the car and I also hope that this gave me an opportunity to rethink the engine option and subsequently switched to T5, which I hope is the right decision......I am really chuffed about it!!!

This is the car that I’ve ordered:
MY19 XC60 T5 INSCRIPTION PRO AWD AUTOMATIC
INTELLISAFE PRO PACK
XENIUM PACK
CONVENIENCE PACK
FUSION RED METALLIC PAINT
HEATED REAR SEATS
SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION
4-ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
DARK TINTED WINDOWS
POWER CHILD LOCKS REAR DOORS
BLOND SEATS/CHARCOAL INTERIOR
DRIFT WOOD INLAYS
20” 8-SPOKE ALLOYS
HUD (sacrificed heated windscreen)

I was informed by the dealer that if I want to tweak my order I can still do it until a lockdown date, which they will let me know soon. I am still wondering how amber seats and charcoal interior look like in reality, which unfortunately I couldn’t see to-date as there were no demo cars with that combination on at any of the dealers I visited. Any thoughts, feedback, opinions from lovely co-members are welcome and will be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks a lot to all those who contributed so far to my thinking process with your knowledge, experience, reasoning and time.
Unless you do a high yearly mileage, I don't think you will regret ordering the T5.
I would have liked the blonde interior, but just didn't think it would be practical for me, my car is my work horse, occasional trips to the tip and B&Q etc.
Just sleep tight in the knowledge that you will love your new car
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 18:08   #105
Waggatron

Congratulations....that's a great spec.

Hoping to do the same by the end of the week....but honestly, trying to get a quote out of my local dealer is proving rather frustrating. Perhaps they are selling so many cars they don't need my business. Have had far more love from dealers further afield (and feeling like a valued customer is part of the decision making process).

Only decision for me now is whether to go charcoal or blond interior with the denim blue exterior.

I can always cling film the kids before each journey and fortunately the local tip has recently closed!!
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 21:54   #106
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
One word of warning, if you do frequent very short journeys the mpg will take an almighty tumble and it takes a fair while to recover the overall consumption with longer journeys.
I did the number crunching two days ago i.e. for figuring out how long I can use the savings (by switching from D5 to T5 since T5 costs less to buy) to offset the excess fuel expense that is associated with the lower-fuel-economy of a T5 engine. I had to make few assumptions along the way as follows:

1. I only took 72% (which is based on some T5 reviews on the net) of the Volvo-published economy figures obtained from controlled test conditions as the real world figures.
2. Assumed the miles I would be doing in a year (I based my calculations on 8k miles, 10k miles and 15k miles per annum).
3. Assumed petrol and diesel prices, which I took 10% higher than what they are at the moment just to future proof my calculations.

The results I have got is:
1. The savings on the price of the car due to switching from D5 to T5 will last for approx. 6.5 years to cover the extra fuel bill on a T5 if I do 10k miles per annum. (or)
2. For approx. 8 years if I do 8k miles per annum. (or)
3. For approx. 4.25 years if I do 15k miles per annum.

Or in other words, I have to drive with a D5 engine for those many miles per annum and for those corresponding many years to reap the benefit of better fuel economy of a D5.

Quote:
Personally I would always take the heated windscreen over HUD. Remotely switching on an iced up car for five minutes and watching it clear is magic and as I have never had HUD it did not worry me.
I completely agree with you but there is a way around it i.e. by using Volvo On Call to remote start the car and warm it up in winter or even cool it down in summer.

Quote:
Finally, and it’s only my opinion, when you open the doors and look on Blond upholstery and driftwood it’s just wonderful to see.
Again, in complete agreement with what you’ve said; seen it myself!! Thanks once again for your comments.

Last edited by lalith16; Mar 7th, 2018 at 22:40.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 22:08   #107
chrisrixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
I did the number crunching two days ago i.e. for figuring out how long I can use the savings (by switching from D5 to T5 since T5 costs less to buy) to offset the excess fuel expense that is associated with the lower-fuel-economy of a T5 engine.
The pricing of the T5 v D5 is very odd across the range.

On the XC60 the D5 is not available in Momentum trim, but in R-design or Inscription trim the T5 is about £3500 cheaper than a D5.

For the XC90 the T5 is just £550 less than a D5 in Momentum to Inscription trim levels.

Quite how can volvo justify the £3000 difference in these price differentials?

As far as I can see the engine is the only difference between a T5 and D5 in both models...
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrixy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 22:20   #108
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrixy View Post
The pricing of the T5 v D5 is very odd across the range.

On the XC60 the D5 is not available in Momentum trim, but in R-design or Inscription trim the T5 is about £3500 cheaper than a D5.

For the XC90 the T5 is just £550 less than a D5 in Momentum to Inscription trim levels.

Quite how can volvo justify the £3000 difference in these price differentials?

As far as I can see the engine is the only difference between a T5 and D5 in both models...
In my case, after applying the relevant dealer discounts the difference in price between a T5 and D5 XC60 came to around £2821. I reckon the £3500 figure that you’ve mentioned is the difference that is based on the full list price.
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 23:05   #109
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Lalith16
That’s an excellent spec & would be almost identical to my next MY19.5 XC60.
Thanks for your comments on the spec. Has the price-list for MY19.5 come out yet?

Quote:
2. Sound system. As an avid music lover I will be opting for the new MY19 onwards Premium Sound system from Harman Kardon which doubles the sound upto 600W and gives a Subwoofer at £825. Whilst I would had been tempted by the B&W system, the price tag of £2,500 was just one step too far.
I think am not eligible to describe myself as an ‘avid’ music lover but my missus is. I had to lie to her that there is only one option available when it comes to sound system.....just joking!!! Few days ago I thought for a second to give up smartphone integration and instead go for the HK sound system to make my missus happy. Now, having read another very recent post that is dedicated on CarPlay on this forum, I am seriously thinking about giving up smartphone integration and instead opt for the HK sound system.

Quote:
3. Polestar. Without knowing your driving style, if you like that little bit extra get up and go and improved gear change optimisation then you should consider this option @ £835. If you are thinking you will try the car 1st and then decide, my advise is if you think there is a greater than 50% possibility of going for - then order it as part of the new car so it “comes” supplied with it already on.
Why you may ask - many Insurance Co’s then do not consider it as an aftermarket extra and view it as “part” of the car. My insurer - LV - only charged me an additional £24/annum because they said it was manufacturer supplied by being on the same Invoice as the car itself. Worth thinking about?.
I feel it is less than 50% chance of going for it; but definitely makes sense to have it done as part of the main factory order should one wishes to have it.

Thanks again for the food for thought!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 23:43   #110
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
Congratulations....that's a great spec.

Hoping to do the same by the end of the week....but honestly, trying to get a quote out of my local dealer is proving rather frustrating. Perhaps they are selling so many cars they don't need my business. Have had far more love from dealers further afield (and feeling like a valued customer is part of the decision making process).

Only decision for me now is whether to go charcoal or blond interior with the denim blue exterior.

I can always cling film the kids before each journey and fortunately the local tip has recently closed!!
Thanks mate and all the best to you on your order.

Yes, unfortunately, it is a contrasting picture potrayed by dealers but fortunately in my case all my local dealers and dealers far afield that I have come accross this time around have all constantly been in touch (not pushy though) with me all trying to get my custom. However, I ended up with a dealer further afield due to a better deal they offered me and they are reputable one too.

Yesterday, at the dealers, I sat in an XC90 in denim blue with blond interior with metal mesh inlays. For me, the car felt very airy, both the exterior and the interior felt totally synced and in tune and looked very impressive.......but again that was an XC90.