Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pain in the seat pad!

Views : 11567

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2020, 19:49   #21
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
I have to admit, that with this being my 4th Volvo these seats are by far the best.............looking but by far the worst for comfort. I wouldnt buy another with these seats.

I too have to fully retract the extension for a modicum of comfort. Being 6ft 1 that makes the seat feel too small. When I drive my Golf GTi I ask myself . "WTF are Volvo playing at. These golf seats are far better"

A typical case of form over function. They seem designed by a marketing team not orthopaedic engineers.
Crockers. Like you I have owned many Volvo’s in the past & am now on my 3rd XC60 and as we both share(d) the same configuration I am 100% in agreement with you. These latest seats just seem to be a lot thinner that the previous 1st Generation - no doubt to save a few kgs/seat to in turn save a few grams of CO2.
So whilst I still find them comfortable, they are no way as special as the 1st Generation that I could easily sit on for over 4 hrs & not have to move around too much........
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 20:15   #22
TimCarter

Default Problem solved

OK, after all the heartache and endless battles with Volvo, a company that has a No Customer Service department/ ethos, I have finally solved my problem. On the drive is a new Mercedes E-Class.

It doesn't have 4-wheel drive, doesn't have the Heads Up display, doesn't have some of the other finer features I had in the V90 CC Pro, but I love it. While the seats might also be firm, they are not uncomfortable, and they have given me the name of a local partner who will look at my seat and make the pad softer if I want.

Tomorrow, I will find you the names, and contact details, of all the people I spoke with at Volvo who did everything they could not to help me. The same people who said there was nothing wrong with my car, even though no one from Volvo never, ever, sat in my car. This even after my local Volvo dealer told them there was a problem.

Given they kept telling me I was the only person in the world having issues with the seat, maybe if you all get together you might make more progress than I was able to do.

Suffice to say, I will never again buy a Volvo. This was my fourth and last purchase and will tell anyone who says they are thinking of buying a Volvo to really reconsider what they might be about to do. It is not just about the seats, but the whole way I have been treated. From the dealer I purchased the vehicle through, to Volvo's European Customer Service executives. They have been shameful.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 21:21   #23
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
These latest seats just seem to be a lot thinner that the previous 1st Generation - no doubt to save a few kgs/seat to in turn save a few grams of CO2.
So whilst I still find them comfortable, they are no way as special as the 1st Generation that I could easily sit on for over 4 hrs & not have to move around too much........
I believe Volvo made the seats thinner not to save money but to allow more space for the rear passengers.
Volvo claims that they made the seats better and safer than ever before. I can't comment on safety, but I
find the seats of our XC90 by far the most comfortable we had before, we have Volvo's since the seventies.
But I didn't like the Inscription seats and took the (basic) comfort seats.
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:01   #24
TimCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
But I didn't like the Inscription seats and took the (basic) comfort seats.
Are these the seats without the extending thigh support? If so, these are as in the Momentum spec cars, and they are so much better. The problem is Volvo refused to let me have them installed in my CC Pro. In fact, they refused to sell me two of these seats to have installed myself. They claimed I couldn't change the spec of the vehicle.

I tried to remind Volvo that I had purchased the car, paid for it, and owned it, so could really do what I wanted. They said that was true but they would block any attempt by me to purchase Momentum seats. FYI, I was prepared to lose the electric seat adjustments for manual setting just to get the comfort I needed.

Still, all water under the bridge now, and around £10,000. Am I unhappy with my Volvo experience over the past 12 months? You can be sure about that. Do Volvo care? In my experience not at all. Their repeated way to drop the communication with me was "please contact the Motor Ombudsman for free partial (sic) advice".

So clear off then, nice.

Last edited by TimCarter; May 1st, 2020 at 09:07.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2020, 09:27   #25
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarter View Post
Are these the seats without the extending thigh support? If so, these are as in the Momentum spec cars, and they are so much better. The problem is Volvo refused to let me have them installed in my CC Pro. In fact, they refused to sell me two of these seats to have installed myself. They claimed I couldn't change the spec of the vehicle.

I tried to remind Volvo that I had purchased the car, paid for it, and owned it, so could really do what I wanted. They said that was true but they would block any attempt by me to purchase Momentum seats. FYI, I was prepared to lose the electric seat adjustments for manual setting just to get the comfort I needed.

Sympathise with your problem but can understand Volvo's position in them not wanting to change the seats to a lower spec - could cause them issues later on in resale possibly.

However bit poor of them to try to block what you do with "your" car; what next, you can't put ESSO fuel in? I would have perhaps looked to find Momentum seats from a breaking car and fitted myself.

Like you say, water under the bridge. Hope your MB is better.
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:48   #26
Discoman

Enjoy your MB. I bought Momentum largely because I did not like the comfort of the R seats and didn't like the garnish they offered in the Inscription upgrade. For me many of the upgrade packs offer little value.
Old May 1st, 2020, 11:32   #27
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarter View Post
Are these the seats without the extending thigh support? If so, these are as in the Momentum spec cars, and they are so much better.
Yes, it was one of the reasons that I started from the Momentum trim
adding the features I wanted and avoid to pay for those I didn't.
Old May 1st, 2020, 21:48   #28
Boatie
Master Member

I recently moved from a V90 Momentum to a V90 R Design and after 3 weeks of ownership and 767 miles (pre lockdown) I've come to the conclusion that the seats are b****y rubbish. I will say to everyone " don't buy a Volvo with adjustable extensions". Judging from previous comments I don't expect much sympathy when I take the matter up with my dealer post Covid so doubt I will buy another Volvo.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2020, 23:02   #29
Tresco85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
I recently moved from a V90 Momentum to a V90 R Design and after 3 weeks of ownership and 767 miles (pre lockdown) I've come to the conclusion that the seats are b****y rubbish. I will say to everyone " don't buy a Volvo with adjustable extensions". Judging from previous comments I don't expect much sympathy when I take the matter up with my dealer post Covid so doubt I will buy another Volvo.
Yes I agree, we have the inscription pro seats and they are awful, and like Tim tried to get them changed to the more comfortable momentum seats but were told there was no way they could do this. I have given up trying to get anywhere with Volvo as well and we use some gel cushions to seat on which is not good on a £50,000 car.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 17:09   #30
jdl243

Default V90 CC very uncomfortable drivers seat

Oh dear I thought it was just me but after searching for V90 seat problems I realise its not. I bought our V90 CC which has the extendable cushion in July when it was six months old and wish I had carried out a two hour test drive instead of 20 minutes.
The drivers seat is terrible I drove to Cambridge and back from Nottingham yesterday and on getting out my left leg was painful from the top of my thigh to my foot with a sciatic type pain.
Has anybody with a V90 tried a XC90 to see if the driving position is better, I'm 6'2 and weigh about 13 stone 4 pounds, just wondered if they have a slightly higher driving position and different seats.
jdl243 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gel, inscription, pain, seat, uncomfortable