Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stupid Stupid parking bulb

Views : 637

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2012, 11:12   #1
Major Look
VOC Member

Default Stupid Stupid parking bulb

Hi all. Why do my feeble attempts to replace a simple £1.50 parking light bulb on my 2005 V70 D5 SE make me feel so blasted inadequate?

How do mechanics do it? It's just an everyday task for them! Please someone tell me what tricks of the trade there might be to replace the nearside parking lamp bulb without employing sophisticated keyhole blooming surgery techniques?

I can remove the rubber cover to expose the inside of the headlight, but the cable and fitting is then a couple of inches inside the tiny access hole. I have factory fitted Bi-Xenon headlamp units which may partly explain the lack of space to manoeuvre. But then, you all know this already!!

If I use a pair of long-nosed pliers I could probably remove it, but then I doubt that the "re-fitting it is the reversal of removal" (to coin a classic Haynes saying) is going to be quite so simple as the phrase implies, and so I'm reluctant to try to remove it until I have at least some idea of how it's going to go back.

It doesn't help that the air filter box and a pipe arrangement wedged against the rubber bung makes access difficult for people with large hands like mine. I've already scraped most of the skin off.

Well, rant over, LOL . Any advice (apart from take it to a dealer) will be much appreciated. You can tell my day job is not as an auto engineer, can't you!

Note to Volvo: please redesign all lamps to make bulb replacement (a consumable item) as simple as possible for normal mortals, like it should be.
Thanks all!
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 11:44   #2
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Know what ya mean...as ever, whoever designs them NEVER has to work on them.!
But it ain't just Volvo.!...My Mrs's Renault Megane CC is just the same...ya need the hands of a Barbie doll to change a soddin' bulb..and of course be double jointed as well.

Thank goodness I have a Phase 1 Classic V70...easy peasy.!

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:06   #3
Major Look
VOC Member

Ouch! Tender feminine skin against unforgiving metal? Oh, OK then - I'll ask my daughter LOL Now where is she......
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 14:27   #4
Thanatos
VOC Member

at least its not a 02 audi a4 the whole front end needs disasembleing
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 16:51   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, No it doesn't. I just changed a parking/turn signal bulb in a 2002 Audi A4,B6. After simply lifting the intake air duct out of the way, you remove the two TORX on top and the nut at the rear of the headlight capsule. When I do the timing belt is when the front end of the car comes off. Shoehorning that V-6 (the 3.0 liter) into that little car was a thoughtlessly cruel accommodation to the stupid North American car market. Ohhh....Does that count as a rant? Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 18:53   #6
rnlisg

Wink bulb change(simples)

having had this on my 07 xc70(twice in 2 weeks).and having had lots of help from members,it seems stealers remove the front bumper which according to mine takes about 15mins!.so when i have some spare time,me and swmbo are going to practice removal and refitting said bumper,this should also save me a pint of blood that i lost last time,i have seen a post on removal and have located all screws etc(the thread covered v and xc 70 models)
good luck
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote