Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 radio change

Views : 551

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2019, 19:02   #1
SteveRXC70

Default XC70 radio change

Hi All

New to the Forum and searched but could not find advice so now asking.
Sorry if this is obvious to you.

I have a 2007 onwards XC70 and the radio display has developed an intermittent fault.
I have pulled it apart and can see that when i lightly tap the circuit of the radio display module the optical transmitter (red LED) cuts out and the screen goes blank. The screen, circuit and LED are all part of the same module.

I have a used replacement part and I am confident that it is in good working condition but if I replace it I find that the radio will only work for a short time before the car recognises that this module is not part of the cars original components and shuts it down.
I expect that there is some clever software that does this.

My question is:
How do I program the car to recognise this replacement module?

Thanks for your help!
Steve

Last edited by SteveRXC70; Sep 27th, 2019 at 20:02.
SteveRXC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 21:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRXC70 View Post
Hi All

New to the Forum and searched but could not find advice so now asking.
Sorry if this is obvious to you.

I have a 2007 onwards XC70 and the radio display has developed an intermittent fault.
I have pulled it apart and can see that when i lightly tap the circuit of the radio display module the optical transmitter (red LED) cuts out and the screen goes blank. The screen, circuit and LED are all part of the same module.

I have a used replacement part and I am confident that it is in good working condition but if I replace it I find that the radio will only work for a short time before the car recognises that this module is not part of the cars original components and shuts it down.
I expect that there is some clever software that does this.

My question is:
How do I program the car to recognise this replacement module?

Thanks for your help!
Steve
That is the theft prevention , each radio will only work in the car it was built with , the serial numbers of all the modules have to comply before it works .
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 22:06   #3
SteveRXC70

Thanks Clan. That makes good sense but there must be a way to replace a faulty component.
SteveRXC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 07:16   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Clan. That makes good sense but there must be a way to replace a faulty component.
Yes there is.
Fit a new, unused radio, and program the car to accept the new radio's serial number

All done at the dealer, using the dealer software (VIDA)
That's what Volvo intended to happen.

Fitting 2nd hand units, either stolen or purchased legally, was never intended to occur.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 07:56   #5
Puffster

Interesting

Not environmentally friendly then as in why destroy a perfectly good radio from a written off car (jeez - accidents happen right?) when it could be re-used in another car with a failed unit?

Oh - profit..
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 10:47   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
send it off to central services in Ipswich who were volvos Audio reconditioners from the 1970's , they had all the knowhow and they should still be able to help .
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 11:46   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffster View Post
Interesting
Oh - profit..
Of course.
Volvo is not a charity.
Which means they run their business carefully to make a ... profit.

Just like every other car manufacturer: they are all there to earn money and return it to their shareholders. That's what profit is.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 12:33   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Of course.
Volvo is not a charity.
Which means they run their business carefully to make a ... profit.

Just like every other car manufacturer: they are all there to earn money and return it to their shareholders. That's what profit is.
but that's nothing to do with having high security and making the units unattractive to steal which was all the rage in the 80's and 90's .