Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Topping up oil

Views : 650

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2019, 15:41   #1
Gazdkw
Master Member

Default Topping up oil

I purchased my car around 3 months ago. Just before I got it the garage gave it a basic service which included engine oil/filter etc.

I had a light yesterday saying low oil level. Had the same today.

Iv ordered some oil to do a complete change do i know what's ok it. However, how urgent is the situation now? Will it be ok for a few more days until I change it or should I stop it up now?

If I need to top it up, what do I use. I have no idea what pills the garage used when they serviced it and I'm unsure if potentially mixing oils is a good idea?
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 00:46   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

It needs doing urgently, you've got a low oil light on... Check the dipstick to see how low it actually is. If its really low, I wouldn't be driving the car on long distances or at all if I could help it. Change the oil as a matter of urgency & the correct oil to use should be listed in your owner's manual, or there should be a sticker in the engine bay confirming what you should use (The sticker is usually near the headlights/bonnet hinge area).

Mixing oils isn't a good idea, so there's not much point topping it up if you don't know the oil that the garage used when they serviced the car. This is why I'd personally suggest doing the service now & putting fresh oil in. Don't use any oil you come across to service your vehicle, only use the one your car requires.
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 06:17   #3
Gazdkw
Master Member

You see I'm stuck in a position here.

I have 4ltr's of the correct spec oil (shell ultra) however that's not enough. I have another 4 litres turning up Thursday.

I will check the car in a mo and see what the level is like. If it's really low then I think topping it up with this has got to be better than not enough oil. I do 20 miles a day so looking at 40/50 miles with it.
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 07:20   #4
Gazdkw
Master Member

I checked this morning. It's just above minimum so looks like I have a few days at least
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 08:06   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

If you've got the correct spec oil then simply top it up. I've never heard of a problem in mixing engine oils.
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 12:16   #6
Rids666

Just top it up to the correct level with the oil you have. As long as it's the same type then can't see why being a different manufacturer would matter. I certainly wouldn't waste doing a complete oil change for it!

Previously: Volvo V70 D5 mk3 07 silver manual 156k RIP
Rids666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 19:25   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Any oil is better than no oil.

If you have 4 litres of oil and another 4 on order you have enough to top up what's in there and to do a compleate change, 5.7 litres needed to fill including the filter. DO NOT FILL to the full mark on the dip stick or you run the risk of too high an oil level when a regeneration fails. 3/4 up the hatched area of the dipstick is correct, hence the 5.7 litres.

If the service was not carried out by a Volvo dealership and you don't know what oil was used you are best off changing it so you know your Base line.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: