Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Views : 54315

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 20:42   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Just had to change the nearside (left) headlight bulb on my 2005 V70 (dipped Beam, which is the outboard one.
Changed the offside one a couple of months ago, and the scars on my hands have just about faded; so decided to see if there was an easier way to do the nearside one.
Ended up taking the complete air filter airbox out of the car, then bulb changing is easy. Taking the filter box out sounds a bit extreme, but its easy, if you have a socket set.
1) you need to disconnect the air hose from the TOP section of the air filter box (jubilee clip).
2) Disconnect the air flow meter plug from the airbox.
3) undo the three plastic clips that hold the airbox in p[lace.. this is the tricky bit. The clips are each a four pronged clip that locates into the three mounting holes in the airbox supports. On first look, there didnt seem to be an easy way to 'close' the clips, but investigation showed that if you have a 10mm 1/2" drive socket, and a long extension drive, then the socket is just the right size to go over each clip, and with a bit of jiggling about, it will close up the clip enough to enable the airbox to be pulled gently off each clip.
4) once all three clips are released, then the airfilter box can be moved out of the way (you may have to disconnect some of the wiring that's attached to the front of the box, by that I mean disconnect the wiring from its associated clips. The intake air pipe needs to be wriggled off its support under the top of the slam panel.
With the airfilter box out of the way, then bulb changing is relatively easy.
Once finished, asssembly, is as they say, the reverse of the disassembly.
I olnly wish the offside/right side of the car could be made easier, but the box containing the ECU modules seems to be immovable, unless anyone knows different?

Alec
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alec Dawe For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 20:44   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

I thought the normal method to do this is to actually remove the front bumper, then remove the entire headlamp unit from the car?
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 21:48   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
I thought the normal method to do this is to actually remove the front bumper, then remove the entire headlamp unit from the car?

Twas on pre facelift cars. Post 2005 model, the bulbs are 'supposed' to be replaced from inside the bonnet, even the owners manual says so, but doesn't say what a pig of a job it is!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 22:34   #4
AlanA
Alan

Ive just done the same job on my 2006 car. I thought it would be quicker to remove the filter housing but then decided to struggle on, it took me almost 2 hours and cost me lots of skin.
Alan
AlanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:12   #5
GMcL
0's and 1's

I went through this pain last year.
I have not figured out how to do it yet but that ECU box the drivers side is in three parts. The top comes off easily and I'm pretty sure if I can get the blade out, the middle section will come out quite easily too.
Having said that, the bulbs went (yes both within a few days of each other - Phillips), the main dealer only had it booked as .2 of an hour so wasn't worth grief of DIY. It was approx. 37€+VAT for genuine Volvo bulbs and fitting.

Last edited by GMcL; Sep 12th, 2008 at 08:14.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 13:13   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

just to add to the above, the book time which I paid was quoted at .2 of an hour.
They still had the car 2 hours while I waited but it wasn't my knuckles getting skinned.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:17   #7
captcaveman

On my s60 I remove the headlight, pop the front bumper off and the surrounding trim 10/15 mins tops and a doddle to do.
Shout up if you need instructions on how to remove the bumper.
captcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:58   #8
Rufe
TRADER

i know its no help to you really, but on the XC90's and the S40/V50 series the headlamps have a quick release on them (pull out a pin) to get the whole lamp out with ease. Someone with some forward thinking had obviously had an input in their design.

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 22:55   #9
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufe View Post
i know its no help to you really, but on the XC90's and the S40/V50 series the headlamps have a quick release on them (pull out a pin) to get the whole lamp out with ease. Someone with some forward thinking had obviously had an input in their design.

The problem with the S60 came with the facelift. Pre-facelift, the nose was more vertical and hence there was plenty of space behind the lights to unscrew the cover behind the bulb & get a hand in to change it. The post-facelift cars have a more steeply raked nose by comparison (partly to do with pedestrian impact protection?) and so the lights are set further back so there's less (ie none) room to get into the back of the light to change a bulb. The plastic bits were easy enough to re-mould for the facelift - the structure under the skin is basically the same as on the original cars and it would have probably required substantial costly re-engineering (and crash testing?)to facilitate easier headlamp changes, something that at least could be (and has been) designed into the newer Volvo models.

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 16:04   #10
thefifeflier
The Fife Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
Just had to change the nearside (left) headlight bulb on my 2005 V70 (dipped Beam, which is the outboard one.
Changed the offside one a couple of months ago, and the scars on my hands have just about faded; so decided to see if there was an easier way to do the nearside one.
Ended up taking the complete air filter airbox out of the car, then bulb changing is easy. Taking the filter box out sounds a bit extreme, but its easy, if you have a socket set.
1) you need to disconnect the air hose from the TOP section of the air filter box (jubilee clip).
2) Disconnect the air flow meter plug from the airbox.
3) undo the three plastic clips that hold the airbox in p[lace.. this is the tricky bit. The clips are each a four pronged clip that locates into the three mounting holes in the airbox supports. On first look, there didnt seem to be an easy way to 'close' the clips, but investigation showed that if you have a 10mm 1/2" drive socket, and a long extension drive, then the socket is just the right size to go over each clip, and with a bit of jiggling about, it will close up the clip enough to enable the airbox to be pulled gently off each clip.
4) once all three clips are released, then the airfilter box can be moved out of the way (you may have to disconnect some of the wiring that's attached to the front of the box, by that I mean disconnect the wiring from its associated clips. The intake air pipe needs to be wriggled off its support under the top of the slam panel.
With the airfilter box out of the way, then bulb changing is relatively easy.
Once finished, asssembly, is as they say, the reverse of the disassembly.
I olnly wish the offside/right side of the car could be made easier, but the box containing the ECU modules seems to be immovable, unless anyone knows different?

Alec
I can now confirm that this is indeed the way to do it! No taking off bumpers etc... I took the car round to my local mechanic and watched while he did it. Charged me a fiver (for the bulb)! He reckoned the o/s might be more tricky though, with the ECM having to come out, although it looked to us it might just be that the outer casing comes away, probably in 3 parts.

Thanks again for your info, Alec.

Cheers, Jim
plus 4 more (all gone)
thefifeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thefifeflier For This Useful Post: