Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to replace rear brakes on S60/V70

Views : 59159

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2009, 17:45   #11
John Underhill

The "nut" is a small bolt that locates the disc on the hub, lining up the holes in the disc with the threads in the hub for the wheel bolts. You need to remove it to take the disc off.
Make sure your handbrake is free!
John Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 18:19   #12
mds

Default Rear Brakes

Also if you rotate the disc while pulling it off make sure its forward (clockwise) if the shoes are binding or tight backwards (anticlockwise) makes them grip really tight.

Great piece well done

Dave
mds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:17   #13
jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
Speak for yourself. Currently got the wheel, pads off etc but damned if I can get the disc off.
Tried heating it, freezing it,copious amounts of WD40, solid as a rock.

I don't want to start thumping it too hard, been using a club hammer and a block of wood.
I've tapped around the edge and on the rear face of the disc, might as well be welded on for all the difference it seems to have made. Am going to replace the discs so not bothered if the are mangled. Reluctant to start really thumping it in case I damage the wheel bearing.

In the picture following section 9 showing the new disc in situ what is the purpose of the nut head that appears at the bottom of the disc.

Had enough today , out with the angle grinder tomorrow!
I had the very same problem, you may find that you can "push" the disk with a suitable nut and bolt through one of the holes in the carrier - I didn't have a suitable bolt so I had to let a garage do it.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 19:15   #14
jp11

Re the stubborn disc, I know it's elementary but have you released the handbrake? Also, you sometimes get a ridge on the drum surface behind the shoes and you have to hammer the whole thing off, almost bringing the shoes with it!
jp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 07:06   #15
bogart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11 View Post
Re the stubborn disc, I know it's elementary but have you released the handbrake? Also, you sometimes get a ridge on the drum surface behind the shoes and you have to hammer the whole thing off, almost bringing the shoes with it!
Yes have taken the handbrake off, not as daft a suggestion as it may seem, Iv'e done similar in the past! Your probably correct in that its the damn shoes causing the problem. cannot see it being much else as like I said the I've noticed that there is copperslip between the hub and disc at present. Will get the angle grinder on it this morning.
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 20:40   #16
bogart
Master Member

Finally got the disc off. Lots of thumping and swearing. Both shoes had scored a ridge into the drum. Can only assume that the release mechanism on this side isn't working, and every time the handbrake was used the shoes pulled tight to the drum and not released until a bit of driving had worn some away. Resulting over time in the worn ridge, prventing the disc coming off. Other side was fine.
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 01:58   #17
KATANA MAN

I have just done my handbrake shoes the other day and at first I couldnt get the discs off. But I went and slackenend the adjusting nut off on the cable adjuster to give maximum slack and the discs came off with no problem at all.

The hardest bit was getting the 2 springs off which hold the shoes to the back plate. I had to rive these out then straighten them out again.

I also took a picture of the shoes and spring positions before hand with my mob phone just to make sure everything went back in the right place.

Took me about an hour in total to do the whole job.

Katana man
KATANA MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KATANA MAN For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 12:11   #18
tykey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Mo,

One question though, since doing the work does you car still move slightly on the handbrake on an incline ?
I've just done mine, and was confused by this. Even with new shoes, and when tightened, you can still rotate the wheel a bit.

Remember the pads tighten up in the drums, but aren't fixed to the hub in any way and still rotate a bit with the drum until it reaches the "stop". When the wheel is still jacked up you can rotate the wheel each way about 20deg until it hits the stop with a clunk.
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 23:14   #19
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
Speak for yourself. Currently got the wheel, pads off etc but damned if I can get the disc off.
Tried heating it, freezing it,copious amounts of WD40, solid as a rock.

In the picture following section 9 showing the new disc in situ what is the purpose of the nut head that appears at the bottom of the disc.

Had enough today , out with the angle grinder tomorrow!
The bolt head visible at the bottom of the disc is a small (6mm) bolt that holds the disc in place to stop it rattling around when the wheel is off; if you have not removed this then you will never get the disc off!
One other problem not mentioned here is that there is often a ring of rust and scale on the inside lip of the brake drum that prevents the disc sliding over the handbrake shoes, even if the adjustment has been slackened off. The only answer here seems to be brute force, which will wreck the retaining springs, so make sure you have some new ones to hand.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:54   #20
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Any chance we could ask the forum people to get this good write up moved to the articles section for good reference?
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote