Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 D5 Auto Problems

Views : 6466

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 14:50   #1
C30D5

Question C30 D5 Auto Problems

Hi, i'm new to the forum with my new C30!

As much as i love the C30, it's started to give me a slight headache over the last few days.

It's a 58 Plate Automatic with 80,000 miles on the clock.

Problem

When the car is selected to Drive (D) there is a quite a severe jolt/jerk whilst engaging the gear.

This only when the car is at full temperature. There is no jolt/jerk when the car is cold, nor when selecting any other gears, reverse is fine.

I've had a quick search on the internet and from what i have read 8/10 problems like this are caused by transmission fluid or the transmission filter.

Has anyone else heard or suffered from a problem like this?

Thanks in advance!
C30D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 15:27   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Have you checked the gearbox oil on the dipstick for colour and consistency as well as to see the actual oil level?

Check with the dipstick but I would expect that an ATF fluid flush would be in order. If you do change the fluid ensure you get an ATF that meets JWS3309 standard to replace it with.

There is no saying that an ATF will cure your problem but it is one of the cheaper options, you probably want to drop into a dealer and ask if there is any TCM updates for your car. If they mutter on about costing for a 'Diagnostic' then just ask if you can have a 'Free Safety Check' which involves them putting the car on the computer and checking for updates anyway! The cost of any actual update will be a cost item though.

Probably just worth putting the car in for a Free Safety Check and then ask them to check the ATF fluid while it's there? Just say you'd be interested if there is a TCM update available.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 15:36   #3
C30D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Have you checked the gearbox oil on the dipstick for colour and consistency as well as to see the actual oil level?

Check with the dipstick but I would expect that an ATF fluid flush would be in order. If you do change the fluid ensure you get an ATF that meets JWS3309 standard to replace it with.

There is no saying that an ATF will cure your problem but it is one of the cheaper options, you probably want to drop into a dealer and ask if there is any TCM updates for your car. If they mutter on about costing for a 'Diagnostic' then just ask if you can have a 'Free Safety Check' which involves them putting the car on the computer and checking for updates anyway! The cost of any actual update will be a cost item though.

Probably just worth putting the car in for a Free Safety Check and then ask them to check the ATF fluid while it's there? Just say you'd be interested if there is a TCM update available.

The car is actually going into Volvo for a recall on a water pump this friday.
I mentioned the problem to the bloke on the phone and straight away he suggested putting it on the computer for £60+VAT.

After ringing around a few places today, I've been told that Oil is the cheapest option but it sounds like the best way is to plug it into the computer and it could be the Mass Air Flow which is playing up...

Also from ringing around I've been told that software updates should be free through the dealer? I found this quite hard to believe as it's not longer under warranty.

Free safety check seems the best way to go though

Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 16:51   #4
Zeb246

Let us know what happen's, as I am keen to change the fluid on my auto gearbox too.
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 17:34   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Free Safety Inspection - Have a read - LINKY!

Software updates are NOT free. There are a couple of modules they will update for free but it isn't the TCM. If you put your car in for a proper Volvo Service (not the mini service) then you DO get any updates your car requires for free, along with 12months Volvo Breakdown cover too.

Having the free safety inspection done should circumvent the quoted £60+VAT charge and also produce the same outcome - just a charge for a TCM update if available.

Your gearbox problem will have absolutely nothing to do with the MAF.

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 22:35   #6
C30D5

I'll let you know the differences if I get the oil changed, no problems.
I have read up now about the free car health check, thanks for the link! I'll question the volvo dealership about the jolting when I go in on Friday.

Around the corner from the main dealership is an independent volvo garage which will hook the car up on diagnostics for £40.
I feel this right now is my best option.

thanks for the replies so far! You've been really helpful!
The Following User Says Thank You to C30D5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 23:06   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C30D5 View Post
I'll let you know the differences if I get the oil changed, no problems.
I have read up now about the free car health check, thanks for the link! I'll question the volvo dealership about the jolting when I go in on Friday.

Around the corner from the main dealership is an independent volvo garage which will hook the car up on diagnostics for £40.
I feel this right now is my best option.

thanks for the replies so far! You've been really helpful!
Zeb, where are you located? There may be a member near you with VIDA/DICE and willing to read your codes for free or a nominal fee to cover petrol to meet you. It is worth an ask.

Personally I don't think you'll have any codes stored, an Indy garage will almost definitely NOT have the ability to do software updates so I think your best option is to book it in to Volvo for the Free Inspection and then see if they say there is an update available for your TCM. I would save the £40 if I was you.

I've got a V50 Auto and I got a TCM update just a few months ago, it made a noticeable difference. Although I didn't have any of your problems either though.

Old Jan 7th, 2013, 23:26   #8
Zeb246

Quote:
Zeb, where are you located? There may be a member near you with VIDA/DICE and willing to read your codes for free or a nominal fee to cover petrol to meet you. It is worth an ask.

Personally I don't think you'll have any codes stored, an Indy garage will almost definitely NOT have the ability to do software updates so I think your best option is to book it in to Volvo for the Free Inspection and then see if they say there is an update available for your TCM. I would save the £40 if I was you.

I've got a V50 Auto and I got a TCM update just a few months ago, it made a noticeable difference. Although I didn't have any of your problems either though.

I'm based in Bristol. There is a slight delay in the gear ratios, especially when I kick down the pedal. I don't know if the miles and the year of the car affect the updates? But it's done 45K miles, 2007 plate.

I will have a search on this forum, and search online to find an Indy where I live, who can check for updates. I guess Volvo dealer will take a whole day to do the free checks, in return will they provide me a free courtesy car? Another thing, whenever I kick down the pedal in 5th gear, it doesn't go down a gear, it stay's in 5th gear even with the kick down. Is this normal?
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:18   #9
C30D5

Quote:

I did ask him over the phone about being able to do the software updates and he said not at this moment in time.

I'm going to mention it to the guys at volvo on Friday and see what they suggest, knowing my luck they'll just want lots and lots of money straight away. I'm reluctant to start splashing money left right and centre just for each time, to find out that it wasn't that, that was causing the jolting.
Thanks for your response!
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:46   #10
SonyVaio
VOC Member

If your car has been Volvo serviced over the last couple of years then there WILL be a software update for your box. This update I believe changes the oil pressures in the box to make everything run quicker and smoother. It is certainly the way I felt it changed my box on its recent update.

As said above in previous post, just book in to Volvo for a Free Safety Inspection and when they tell you there is an update available then I would buy it (it will be an cost approx. £40). Don't worry that you've already spoke to Volvo just pick up the phone and book it in for the inspection.

Indy garages like other member do have VIDA/DICE and can read codes but they cannot do software updates as they DO NOT have a subscription to hook up to Volvo's server in Sweden to get the updates from. It is not impossible and anybody in theory can get a subscription but they are so expensive it is not worth it for an Indy garage unless they were to be guaranteed 'XXXX' amount of Volvo customers to cover the cost.