Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiring in a Rev Counter

Views : 723

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 12:27   #1
P1800Ray

Default Wiring in a Rev Counter

I acquired an unfitted aftermarket rev counter when I got my Amazon. I’ve tested it and it reacts when connected to the battery.

How would this be installed? In addition to the red and black cables there are green and white ones.
Thanks
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 13:27   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ray;

"reacts when connected to the battery.", is reaction associated with smoke?...not so good, or simply a minor needle bounce, and not much more? ... and wire color codes...are not really enough, because there is little standardization...first thing I'd try is to get a manufacturer's name and product ID from it and see what a Gargle search comes up with...

If you insist on a trial-by-fire (potentially!) method, connect power to Red and Blk (1A fuse is highly recommended!) connect green wire to 12V, by way of a 10-100Ohm resistor, and see if it lights an internal instrument lighting lamp...White might be Ignition signal input...momentarily test-connect to points wire of the car (engine running), and see if instrument reads anything useful...

Use these hints at your own risk... again, I'd much prefer working from a definite wiring diagram...but if I was on a desert island, and had to figure connections out the hard way, and as an electronic guy, before connecting, I'd take the instrument apart and inspect where wires go internally...I can learn much from this toward correct hook-up, but it does you little good...

...hope this helps, just a little...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 13:41   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

What make of tach? TIM, Yazaki, Smiths? Google that make tach and wiring diagram. Or Google wiring up a rev counter and go to images. See if you can find yours. They are all pretty similar and will probably involve the low tension wire on your distributor.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 15:13   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've had a few aftermarket tachos over the years and the wiring was always :

Red +ve 12V ignition fed
Black 0V -ve/earth
Green signal input from coil - terminal
White sidelights circuit

However, to be sure, i'd suggest you get a multimeter and put it on resistance and check the resistance between white and black, if it's in the region of 50-120 ohms, chances are it's the lighting circuit. Holding the black on the -ve battery terminal and a very quick flick of the white one onto the +ve terminal should see some light inside. By light, i don't mean a blue flash, i mean a bulb lighting up.

If so (or no light at all because the bulb has blown, give those connections above a try. You may also find if it's one of the bigger ones designed as a stand-alone unit with a bracket to scrw it to the dash or similar, there is probably a screw or two in the back and you can remove and see where the wiring goes.

That would confirm the white as being lighting and give you a chance to renew the bulb too!

You may also find there is a switch inside to select 4-6-8 cylinders, set it to 4 unless you've done an engnie swap for something bigger than Volvo fitted!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 18:33   #5
P1800Ray

It’s an Equus. No obvious model number but I’ll have a look tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to P1800Ray For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 18:36   #6
P1800Ray

Ron, I just tapped it on a leisure battery that I have rather than connect it up in the car.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 18:39   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1800Ray View Post
It’s an Equus. No obvious model number but I’ll have a look tomorrow.
https://www.iequus.com/pub/media/manuals/Tachometer.pdf

In that pdf, scroll down and you'll find the colours in a diagram, exactly as i suggested.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: