Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025371

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 08:10   #121
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I don't recall seeing a similar thread that has moved as quickly and informatively as yours, Alan. Your attitude and willingness to both learn and share your obvious delight in the 'R.B.' has generated a great deal of good will, to which forum members have responded. As one said a while back, your car has definitely found the right owner. Very simply, It is what it is all about.

Regards, John.
Good morn John,

What kind words - thank you.

I am in a quiet period between walking Bob (the dog) and Dan (my 15 year old son) getting up (not until 10ish I should think) before we leave. We'll be away until midweek; my parents don't think anything invented after 1970 has any value whatsoever, so there won't be any internet at their house :-)
Project Royal Barge will resume after a short break...

Best wishes,

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 08:36   #122
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Doesn't time fly when you're having fun Alan!

Say 'ello to 'ampshire for me!

Enjoy your break and i hope the weather is kind to you on the way!

And............ What John said! ^^^^^
Good morn,

Yes! You are right, time does fly when you are having fun, and the Royal Barge project has been enormous fun.

As I explained to John above, I have a quiet hour or so before we leave, then Dan and I are off to do the half term rounds of visiting our folks. As I had a mo I went outside to take a couple of photos of that sunroof seal I mentioned a while ago, I hope this one shows what is going on better, I've inserted a sheet of printer paper to give some contrast:

This is taken from above the car looking down through the driver's side of the open sunroof. I hope you can see that the outer seal (looks like a sort of rubberised cloth) has come away from the roof. If I don't push it out as I have with my finger it sits quite flush and seals very well, but as the left side is not like that I assume it is not what is supposed to happen.

Here is a photo taken looking from the left side of the car at the area behind where the seal sits:

It looks (to me) like that seal is normally just glued directly onto the painted surface of the roof, and that is all that holds it in place (except the sunroof when closed). I hope you may see that there appears to be some dried up adhesive that has failed just under this part of the seal strip.

The seal is otherwise in good condition, with no kinks or breaks and fits well, so my thoughts are that all I need to do is carefully clean and dry the painted area and the back of the seal with some acetone, then stick it back in place (and close the sunroof whilst it dries to hold it firmly in place as the adhesive dries).

That being the case it should be a simple fix, but what sort of adhesive? I could try a 2 pack like Araldite, or perhaps a modern superglue (Gorilla glue seems best), but before I try I thought it might be worth asking the forum whether anyone had any experience so I don't get it wrong.

We'll be away until midweek, so there is no rush, but if anyone knows the answer I'd appreciate their knowledge.

On another matter: the auto gearbox. Again there is no rush as it would not be a problem to collect it the next time Dan and I visit our folks, but I like the idea of installing a better transmission in the Royal Barge - it is a car I'll probably own for a long time so it is worth investing a little time and money to make it even nicer than Mr Volvo intended. I'd be happy to start collecting the bits this year with a view to fitting next (2021).

On a happy note: I was pleased to find an original 1980 MY Volvo handbook for the Royal Barge on eBay for only a tenner the other day. I did not get one with the car (hardly surprising after 40 years) and it will be a nice addition to the glove box.

There will be a short break on reports on the Royal Barge until we get back from Essex, Devon and 'ampshire, but normal service will resume next week.

Best wishes,

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:06   #123
Othen
Premier Member

Default Original Handbook

... just one more thing before we go. The postie has just delivered the new V5 and also (this deserves a drum roll) the original 1980 MY car handbook for the Royal Barge's glovebox that I'd mentioned above:

As you may see, it is in pristine condition, complete with the supplement for RHD cars and the original warranty card (obviously not for the Royal Barge, but that doesn't matter as it is 39 years out of date) all in the nice plastic transit box it would have come in from the Volvo dealer.

This must have been sitting in someone's desk drawer for decades, and is I think a lovely addition to the RB for a tenner :-)
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 10:29   #124
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYFfq3xkCY Sun Roof
https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ Seals Direct
https://coh-baines.co.uk/ Seals- Various

Alan: ~ Quote “but what sort of adhesive? I could try a 2 pack like Araldite, or perhaps a modern superglue Gorilla glue”

I would avoid using any of the above to repair the seal- Araldite is too permanent and I believe Gorilla glue is foaming and not ideal for rubber.

RTV (gasket) or a “thin” line of Polyurethane adhesive will stick the seal & remain flexible.
If it was my car then I would look at a replacement seal- If the original isn’t available then you could improvise with a new seal, the above companies may have one that can be used but other classic car rubber extrusions exist so I’m sure that you could track one down.
Regards Bob

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Feb 15th, 2020 at 10:32.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 10:43   #125
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post

Alan: ~ Quote “but what sort of adhesive? I could try a 2 pack like Araldite, or perhaps a modern superglue Gorilla glue”

I would avoid using any of the above to repair the seal- Araldite is too permanent and I believe Gorilla glue is foaming and not ideal for rubber.

RTV (gasket) or a “thin” line of Polyurethane adhesive will stick the seal & remain flexible.
If it was my car then I would look at a replacement seal- If the original isn’t available then you could improvise with a new seal, the above companies may have one that can be used but other classic car rubber extrusions exist so I’m sure that you could track one down.
Regards Bob
Thanks Bob, saved me a lot of typing (and researching!)!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 09:47   #126

The glue we used when the seals were replaced under warranty was either the 'Genuine Volvo glue' or evo stick. replacement are available https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...ts_and_Buffers

the main thing is to take your time in cleaning the old glue off or the new seal will be to tight to the sunroof.
140 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 140 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 15:33   #127
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post

Regards Bob
Thank you Bob,
I’ve managed to work out how to log in to the forum using my iPad (one learns something new every day - actually my 15 year old son sorted it). This is sent from sunny (and surprisingly it is sunny at the mo) Exeter.
Many thanks for the advice re adhesive. I’m not agin fitting a new seal, but the old one has not failed per se, the 40 year old glue has. I may see if a little bit of adhesive works first, and if not I’ll get a new one and change it (but I still have to stick the new one in).
Many thanks, Alan
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 15:36   #128
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140 View Post
The glue we used when the seals were replaced under warranty was either the 'Genuine Volvo glue' or evo stick. replacement are available https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...ts_and_Buffers

the main thing is to take your time in cleaning the old glue off or the new seal will be to tight to the sunroof.
Now that is a helpful reply, thank you, particularly for the link to the replacement part. As I wrote to Bob above, I’ll have a go at carefully cleaning the old seal and gluing it back in place first as it is still weather tight and 3/4 of the glue is fine. If that doesn’t produce a good enough result I’ll order a new one.

Best wishes,

Alan
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 15:42   #129
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140 View Post

... by genuine Volvo glue do you mean the black weatherstrip glue (B272)?

Alan
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 19:49   #130
davidcheshire
VOC Member

Alan, if you search for 'Viper stripes', you may find something that will do for the tops of the wings.

As for the glue for the seal, would a contact adhesive work? I'm thinking of the too-permanent problem that might arise otherwise, if you opt for a total replacement of the seal.

David.
davidcheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidcheshire For This Useful Post: