Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A few more niggles.

Views : 1753

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2020, 01:13   #1
TotalSolutions

Default A few more niggles.

A few more niggles with my new XC40 Inscription

Have you noticed the tailgate (boot) once unlocked and then closed, stays unlocked when you unknowingly walk away only to find anyone passing by can reopen the tailgate. Apparently you must lock the car again! Not very British.

Driving along, at say a restricted 50mph A class road when suddenly the car brakes / slows to 30mph (scared) having "read" a 30mph limit somewhere. Certainly wakes me up a bit! It has done this several times and could cause a rear end shunt. Please beware.

Recently while waiting in turn for the petrol pump I tried to move ahead and being confused by all the parking brake (P) and park (P) buttons frantically multi-shifting Reverse and Drive the car violently jolted, like I had been rear ended or I hit something. Did I engage both Reverse an Drive at the same time? Only did I do this the once and not tried a re-enactment incase I damage the automatic drive train.

When I use the gear selector I move it forward to go backwards and back to drive forward very confusing, its enough the double select and two Neutrals (The Double Tap)

There is no linkage just digital selection why not Forward to go forward and reverse to reverse?

Is this why "old people drive off a cliff edge or into the sea?

Its the first time I have ever turned OFF a Satnav
Really annoying, 3D useless not enough information and road ahead distance deceiving and distracting to view having to look to the centre display all the time. The drivers display useless when navigating a roundabout, there are a lot in Milton Keynes! (Hint, The steering wheel spokes get in the way. Doh) I still prefer the Garmin portable unit I have used for many years a glance to the side is brilliant and never out of site, a real life saver.

The Speed Limit function - What happens is the car actually speeds up when the Speed rating on the road goes from 30 to 50. Great in slow moving traffic queues

Cars to clever and its trying to kill me. I find it difficult to "Drive" when it does the driving and takes over, the human keeps holding her back. Not happy with it and do not look forward to taking her out really.Yes disappointed I let the bigger boot of our Nissan Qashqai go as it took the mobility scooter in one piece across the boot.

Lots more to tell but will see what folks here think and its after midnight.
TotalSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 21:17   #2
Ilovelifts

We’ve had our car since September last year but haven’t driven it loads due to work commitments (only done 850 miles). Since taking delivery, we found it to be a steep learning curve and I expect you feel overwhelmed by tech just as we did but it will get easier.

The gear lever thing is no different to any other auto out there. Park has always been the furthest forward gear position, followed by reverse, neutral and drive.

I’ve got a power boot. When I open and close it, it stays unlocked. That has been the same for all the other cars I’ve owned - 2 new minis, 3 new golfs etc, etc. If I had to unlock the tailgate every time It was used, it would drive me potty.

I can only assume that you must have a some sort of speed limit function switched on because my car doesn’t slow me down.

You need to take your time and sit and read the very long manual. You will find out that things make a lot of sense. My wife is NOT a fan of reading any form of instruction manual and gets flustered easily.

In the current virus climate, download the manual to your tablet and chill. You can’t go to the pub or a restaurant so sit and read😜😜
Ilovelifts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovelifts For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2020, 17:01   #3
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalSolutions View Post
A few more niggles with my new XC40 Inscription

Have you noticed the tailgate (boot) once unlocked and then closed, stays unlocked when you unknowingly walk away only to find anyone passing by can reopen the tailgate. Apparently you must lock the car again! Not very British.
Maybe worth taking a look at the link below;

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...rated-tailgate

When you close the boot you can either "Close" or "Close and Lock" which should eliminate this issue?

If you're opening it from the key fob and closing it on the key fob then yes, you'll have to lock it too - the car will warn you on your On Call App if you leave it unlocked so you can simply lock it on your phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalSolutions View Post

Driving along, at say a restricted 50mph A class road when suddenly the car brakes / slows to 30mph (scared) having "read" a 30mph limit somewhere. Certainly wakes me up a bit! It has done this several times and could cause a rear end shunt. Please beware.
If you turn off the "Speed Sign Assist" in the Car Functions menu then the Speed Limiter will only change the limit its set to if you change it which will avoid this issue

Details at link below:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-speed-limiter

With regards to the Sat Nav - you're obviously used to the way in which the Garmin you have been using for many years display things - the car has a different layout and maybe its just a case of adjusting to this? I personally always have the Centre Screen set as a 2D view with heading up and then use the centre screen for a 3D view

The gear change side of thing - this is something which you should get used to in time I'd like to hope - no reports of people (old or otherwise) driving off cliffs due to it so far

Hope the above helps?

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Mar 23rd, 2020 at 17:06.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2020, 12:24   #4
Wurzal

Default Tail gate looking

Manny thanks for way to lock tail gate and car after opening tail gate.

I use to press left button and then have to lock car. Not any more.
Wurzal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wurzal For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 14:44   #5
TotalSolutions

MtillingVolvo
Quote "When you close the boot you can either "Close" or "Close and Lock" which should eliminate this issue?"

I don't have that secondary (Close and Lock) option. If it was there I might have seen it. :-) Hence the niggles most cars probably lock when closed, simple idea. How many people lock there keys in the boot :-)) Stops that happening I guess but Volvo have not offered that in defence or smart idea to help us Brits ok of a jam.
TotalSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote