Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 how to close rear caliper on 98 V40 TD

Views : 802

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 20:11   #1
MalcolmVolvo

Angry V40 how to close rear caliper on 98 V40 TD

First time I have attempted to remove rear calipers on our UK S reg ('98) V40 TD - failed MOT with some scoring on rear discs.
Calipers seem quite different to my 245 and 740 !
I have managed to gently tap the calipers off the discs and thus remove the discs, but am quite quite uncertain how to push in the caliper piston.
I have already tried releasing the bleed nipple and then simply pushing on the piston, but it just pops out again. I can not see that I shall be able to refit the caliper with new pads onto the new discs unless the caliper piston is compressed.
Please, how do I do it!

Secondly, the real concern that I had had pre-MOT was that the rear right disc was worn (shiny) only half way across the pad width, so I wonder if the caliper is not operating correctly. Is there any known fault here ?

Additional woe is that my factor has supplied me with replacement discs that are vented but non-vented are fitted, and the two types of pad supplied are way too big. Were some V40s fitted with vented rear discs ?

All advice most welcome.
Regards
Malcolm (MalcolmVolvo )

Last edited by MalcolmVolvo; Mar 19th, 2006 at 20:19.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 22:57   #2
MalcolmVolvo

Smile thanks for tech advice on V40 caliper

to 4/40 ... Hi Paul,
Many thanks for all your help today, I reckon I can get this one finished OK now, tomorrow.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:36   #3
4 forty
VOC Member

Default v40 caliper

you are more than welcome malcolm,and thanks for having the courtesy to thank me.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote