Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D5204T2 cam belt jumped a few teeth, replace engine?

Views : 846

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2019, 19:03   #1
azzura

Unhappy V60 D5204T2 cam belt jumped a few teeth, replace engine?

I'm a long time lurker with occasional visits associated with my wife's previous V40s and now a V60 for the past 2 years. It's done around 14k miles in our ownership and mileage now stands at a bit below 115k.

It seems the cam belt decided to jump a few teeth when pulling away at a junction, changing from 1st to 2nd gear, then stalled and would not restart. Towed to local garage we have used for servicing our Volvos, they said cam and aux belts and tensioner all intact. They reset the belt and restarted but running badly. Head has been removed and they say that camshaft bearing surfaces in the head are damaged, but not the valves? Unfortunately I am working overseas for a few weeks so cannot inspect anything myself.

The same garage has previously serviced the car, including cam belt change shortly after our purchase (so perhaps 10k miles ago) when IIRC water pump and tensioner was changed, but only one aux belt, not the other (garage said it was OK). However several months later the "other" belt started to disintegrate, so it was replaced.

For this current problem the garage commented on "debris" in the belt area so it's possible that the previous aux belt failure left behind some crap which then led to the cam belt jumping...and I'm relying on my memory of what the garage told me, but it's making me think that they might not have done such a good job previously. However, before that they have replaced the clutch and DMF when the clutch burnt out not long after we bought it, and otherwise the car (and work the garage has done) has been fine.

The D5204T2 (2.0 litre, 163hp) diesel engine seems to be rather rare compared the 2.4 version, and prices for used cylinder heads are pretty steep (£1500-£2000 to you sir!) and since it's conceivable that any of the pistons/rods/crank might have taken a knock even if they look OK, I'm wondering if a replacement engine might be a better option.

Advice/opinions are being sought from this venerable forum, including a source for a replacement engine...
azzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 15:11   #2
1monkey600

I saw one in a mates garage the other month after the cam belt had broken.
The valves were pretty much fine but the head was scrap - if I remember correctly the casting around the cam follower (buckets) is pretty thin on one side and pretty much every one of them had somehow knocked a curved lump out of the casting when the pistons hit the valves.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote