Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Brand Wiper Blades

Views : 1595

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2019, 20:23   #11
AndrewTi

I once bought some nameless 'bargain' blades from ebay, they clonked and rattled on every sweep. Every journey in the wet was a nightmare. Started buying Bosch ones and total silence.

If you think Volvo know how to charge for wiper blades, just pop to a Vauxhall dealer and buy blades there for a Zafira B. £78 if you please.....
AndrewTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 22:36   #12
daveherns

Do we know who makes wiper blades for Volvo? And oil? I see Phillips and Toshiba branded bulbs in my V70. FoMoCo (Ford) made a seat adjustment switch and by finding a Mondeo equivalent I got one for peanuts.
I'd agree Bosch wipers are about the best you can get.
daveherns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:42   #13
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveherns View Post
Do we know who makes wiper blades for Volvo?
As I understand it, OEM Volvo blades were historically made by Bosch, but this changed to Valeo about 2-3 years ago.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:10   #14
Finbo

Ah, maybe that ties in with my experience.
I’ve not been impressed with the last two sets of Volvo blades I’ve had.
Started squeaking inside a year and always seem to smear badly/quickly again even after cleaning them with a vinegar or citrus cleaning mix.
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 12:13   #15
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I fitted the recommended Bösch blades to my XC90. They are about 1cm to long and interfere with each other when lifting the blades.
I then chose genuine Volvo as a replacement and they fit perfectly. And enough clearance when lifting the blades. And price about the same.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 14:38   #16
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
Another vote for Bosch, in particular their aero wipers! Silent and last ages!
+1

Hv used them for many years now. Change every 2nd autumn, whether needed or not. A smeering/squeeking blade causes me so much more aggravation than it should, so I just accept the cost and move on.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 07:58   #17
green van man
Premier Member

Works sprinter van has valio wiper blades, they lift on the return stroke such that they leave a strip of unwiped water 3 inches wide across the top of the swept area, happens from new and with multiple sets.

More than a little annoying living on the wet West coast of Wales.

My cars run bosch all the time.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:03   #18
37 RUBY
Master Member

...in a previous occupation some 15yrs ago as a motor factor manager I dealt with Valeo. A very good company with some quality products.

Back then they advocated changing wipers every 6months.

They once published a study of European drivers habits with regards wiper replacement and claimed that UK drivers held onto their wipers the longest, only changing them when the driver could no longer see properly whereas alledgedly our "EU" counterparts changed them every year.

What I found with Valeo wipers was first few months was excellent but they quickly degraded. The rubber felt slightly more compliant than that on a Bosch blade.

Me ? Yep I use Bosch religiously.....
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 18:26   #19
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
...in a previous occupation some 15yrs ago as a motor factor manager I dealt with Valeo. A very good company with some quality products.

Back then they advocated changing wipers every 6months.

They once published a study of European drivers habits with regards wiper replacement and claimed that UK drivers held onto their wipers the longest, only changing them when the driver could no longer see properly whereas alledgedly our "EU" counterparts changed them every year.

What I found with Valeo wipers was first few months was excellent but they quickly degraded. The rubber felt slightly more compliant than that on a Bosch blade.

Me ? Yep I use Bosch religiously.....
My problem with the valeo blades was from new out of the box. It's a company vehicle so I have no say in what's fitted and the company is run by bean counters.

Paul.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 19:11   #20
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
My problem with the valeo blades was from new out of the box. It's a company vehicle so I have no say in what's fitted and the company is run by bean counters.

Paul.

Paul.

...and often false economy.

I would also bet my dogs underpants that your work Merc Sprinter would not have been fitted with Valeo from new. You can't beat fitting what the vehicle was tested with and fitted with as OE.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post: