Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

budget approach to increase stability and handling

Views : 498

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2019, 14:42   #1
volvopilot

Default budget approach to increase stability and handling

hi All,

I'm still very happy with my 2006 Volvo S40 with about 150k miles on the clock. still going very strong engine/gearbox wise. I replaced quite a few suspension parts including both control arms, all 3 motor mounts and stabilizer links.

I still think that the car should be able to handle a little bit better than it does now. Even though it is already pretty good, but especially compared to the focus (same platform), the S40 does under perform in cornering and even high speed stability. I feel like I need to correct with cross winds and bumpy roads.

Since the baseline at the moment is good. All suspension parts are checked and replaced as necessary. What would be a good approach to increase the handling while not breaking the bank? (<500 on parts).

I don't want the suspension to necessarily get firmer, just the steering wheel handling an precision.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 16:00   #2
marc
VOC Member

Shocks and springs, you could easily get these and fitted for under £500. Have a look on Demon Tweeks, there are a few options there. Ebach/H&R springs and Bilstien shocks are a popular choice.

I went for just H&R springs on the C30 and it handles much better with only a slight decrease in ride quality.

The reality is that if you want better suspension performance, you’ll need to sacrifice a little bit of comfort.

C30 D5 SE Lux with added Polestar!!

C30CREW.COM
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 17:25   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

For handling mods with a budget under £500 I would get the below:

Eibach lowering coils (Reduces the arch gap a bit and ride is still comfy and reduces that body roll a bit)

Hardline rear anti roll bar (Stiffens up the rear abit not too much but it does help)

depending on the tires you have, I would get some wider ones. on 17s I ran some 225 proxies but on my current 18s I run 235 ps4 and the wider tire makes a massive difference in cornering over the standard.

when were your dampers last changed as well? if they are still on the original, could probably do with a change and you will notice a huge difference.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 17:04   #4
volvopilot

I am aware of those Eibach springs (25mm lowering).

Can you replace the stock springs with the Eibach springs without upgrading the shocks without problems? I guess the lowering will increase stability just because of the lowered CG.

Those springs seem to go for around 180 pounds or so. A complete set of bilstein springs + shocks is 600+ without fitting.

and what about the camber of the wheels when lowering the car? My car stock already has a 1.8 degree rear wheel camber. I don't really want to increase that.

Last edited by volvopilot; Jan 14th, 2019 at 17:40.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 20:50   #5
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I'd personally put a set of H&R springs on and some Bilstein B4 shocks.

You can buy the B4 kit online for about £250 for all 4 shocks.

There are several Bilstein kits that vary in ride quality and price but the B4 kit is what most put on when going for a suspension refresh.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 22:21   #6
volvopilot

thank you!

those H&R from what I read are a little bit harder compared to the Eibach (non linear). I prefer to keep the comfort level as high as possible since I mostly do motorways.

The car is now pretty hard to drive with severe cross winds, so I think it would benefit from being a little bit lowered and upgraded shocks.

B4 + Eibach 25mm seems like a good fit in that case? And do you know what I need to get to complete the entire front strut without re-using any parts from my old strut. So I don't have to disassemble the old strut.

strut mount + strut bearing?
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 22:42   #7
eternal optimist
Master Member

Have you got good tyres on?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 08:39   #8
Welton
Premier Member

I fitted an IPD rear ARB and a Volvo Strut Brace and it transformed the car in terms of stability, it used to kinda 'rock' from side to side after the suspension was loaded into a corner but that was fixed and turn-in was much more precise.

Side wind stability is still an issue for me even with new dampers, I guess some cars are susceptible to side winds no matter what you try.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 09:40   #9
volvopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
Have you got good tyres on?
Dunlop 205 50 R17.

I think upgrading the strut brace and anti roll bar would be benificial after a shock+spring upgrade. The suspension is atleast 80k miles old, maybe even more.

I am just a little but cautious about lowering due to the increased rear camber. It is already on 2 degrees.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 22:58   #10
Bigchewie

from expericence between running eibach and H&r on cars a couple of friends and i own, (same model,) I would (will likely be when stock springs snap again) will be getting a set of H&R, you would certainly benefit from upratig the shocks though they will be fine with stock but existing shocks will wear quicker.

for stability a uprated roll bar will give better results than springs.
Bigchewie is offline   Reply With Quote