Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2010 Drive sound system, how do you link your iPhone music

Views : 2743

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2018, 22:29   #11
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFiend View Post
I've just fitted an Alpine EZI-DAB to my C30 in order to add USB memory stick playback to the basic "Performance" audio system.... I've mounted the USB socket in the factory location beside the AUX socket and managed to run the cables through the centre console without going through the rigmarole of removing the centre console.... managed to get away with just removing the gear-stick gaiter.
Cool, looks like stress free fitting job.

Unfortunately with the FM Modulator, you need access to the aerial port at the back of the head unit, which means taking the whole waterfall off.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phutyle For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 07:24   #12
TheFiend
C30 R-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
Cool, looks like stress free fitting job.

Unfortunately with the FM Modulator, you need access to the aerial port at the back of the head unit, which means taking the whole waterfall off.
Luckily mine had an AUX input.... I was also lucky to find a new unused Alpine EZI-DAB with the USB input as the current versions don't have that function.
TheFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 23:19   #13
benk103

Quote:
For fitting, you're going to have to go through the rigmarole of removing the whole waterfall section, starting with the screws back in the armrest storage, and eventually ending up with you being able to remove the head unit. Here's a copy of the official instructions (http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/In...er_console.pdf), but there's also plenty of guides online and some videos on YouTube. I would advise the use of a long shaft torx screwdriver to take out the 2 screws by the handbrake. I can't remember if they're T20 or T25, but you are unlikely to be able to reach them with a multi-head swappable set. Also a set of nylon trim removal tools will make life easier.

I bought my FM Modulator from Amazon (link in my original post). I didn't need any adapters to connect it to the aerial port (2010 V50 with Performance audio system). I don't know if different years or different systems used different ariel ports.
Thanks a lot for your reply. When you say it’s powered by the 12V, do you have to wire it in or does it just plug in? I’ve not had any experience with wiring and I can just see myself causing much more damage!!
benk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 22:09   #14
benk103

Quote:
I too have a 2010 V50.

What sound system do you have? Do you have an Aux In port?

Mine has the basic "Perormance" sound system and Bluetooth for calls only, and no Aux In port, so in order to connect my iPhone via bluetooth for music, I installed this FM Modulator (not an FM transmitter).

It's hard-wired into the FM aerial input at the back of the head unit, and gives you an Aux in. To access it, you tune your radio to a specific frequency. As it's wired in and powered by 12V, the signal is much stronger than any FM broadcast, so there's no interference at all. I comes with both 3.5mm and RCA inputs. I went with the RCA inputs, because I got one of these combined 3.5mm and USB charging ports.

I then ran the USB charging port off the wires to the cigarette lighter (neatly under the centre console, and behind the waterfall), plugged the RCA cables from the 3.5mm port into the FM modulator cables, and put it behind the waterfall.

Then I got a Firefly USB receiver. It's powered off the new USB port, and plugged into the new Aux port. It only handles bluetooth music, not calls, which is what I wanted as the car does the cals already.

When I turn on the ignition, the phone (which is conveniently mounted on to an Mophie magnetic wireless charger on the centre vents) automatically connects to the car for calls and to the Firefly for music, which is then sent to the head unit via the FM Modulator Aux port.

Finally, I have a bluetooth remote control mounted on the back of the steering wheel, so I can pause, play, skip back and forth tracks with my hand on the wheel. I use Siri for changing playlists or picking songs or albums.

Here's the only visible bit:

I haven't finished mounting everything properly, but when I do, that will be neatly mounted in the small tray behind the waterfall. I could put it in the armrest box too, where the OEM Aux and bluetooth goes. I wanted them somewhere accessible in case I ever needed to plug the Flirelfy out to reset it, but in 6 months of running it, I haven't had to, so really I could hide it behind the trim panel behind the waterfall and have it totally out of sight. I might actually do that.
Just another question about this - you said you didn't have the AUX In port - did you have USB? I'm a bit confused about how you'd fit the 2 in 1 USB / AUX you've got too?

And when you said "I then ran the USB charging port off the wires to the cigarette lighter", how do you do this? Does it involve some extra wiring or is it just a case of plugging it in somewhere?

Final (for now!) question - in doing all this, did the radio have to be disconnected, and if so what do you do about the code, or is one not required?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 18:35   #15
benk103

Sorry to bump this up again, but hoping phutyle sees this and can help me!
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:00   #16
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by benk103 View Post
Just another question about this - you said you didn't have the AUX In port - did you have USB? I'm a bit confused about how you'd fit the 2 in 1 USB / AUX you've got too?

And when you said "I then ran the USB charging port off the wires to the cigarette lighter", how do you do this? Does it involve some extra wiring or is it just a case of plugging it in somewhere?

Final (for now!) question - in doing all this, did the radio have to be disconnected, and if so what do you do about the code, or is one not required?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I missed these questions.

My v50 didn't have USB either, so it involved some extra wiring, but nothing too difficult. But bear in mind that I'm using the USB only for power, not for data.

(Edit: when I say "nothing too difficult", it will involve crimping connections onto wires. So you'll need the raw materials, a wire cutter, stripper and crimper.)

That combined USB and aux adapter has two seperate sets of wires coming out of it - Audio ones for the aux input, and a standard USB cable.

The audio connection is plugged into to the FM modulator (that's connected to the aerial input at the back of the radio), so that's just a matter of plugging the right connections in.

For the USB connection, I took to a spur from the power supply to the powerpoint in the center console. I used these piggyback spade terminal connectors to do that without cutting any wires, and it's easy to put back to original if necessary. I've an inline fuse on the new power wire. This then powers this double USB powerpoint, which is securely and secretly mounted inside the center console (and can be easily accessed by popping off the gear stick gaiter or under the little tray behind the waterfall). The USB connection from the combined USB and aux adapter is plugged one of these ports. My magnetic charging pad (that's mounted up on the center vent) is plugged into the second USB port).

The radio did have to be disconnected to attach the FM modulator - that's the hardest part of the whole operation (and isn't that hard, just a bit tedious). There's no code required for the radio - the head unit is hard-encoded to the car.

Edit: here's a diagram of the wiring:

Last edited by phutyle; Mar 8th, 2019 at 15:00.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phutyle For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 23:29   #17
benk103

Quote:
Sorry, I missed these questions.

My v50 didn't have USB either, so it involved some extra wiring, but nothing too difficult. But bear in mind that I'm using the USB only for power, not for data.

(Edit: when I say "nothing too difficult", it will involve crimping connections onto wires. So you'll need the raw materials, a wire cutter, stripper and crimper.)

That combined USB and aux adapter has two seperate sets of wires coming out of it - Audio ones for the aux input, and a standard USB cable.

The audio connection is plugged into to the FM modulator (that's connected to the aerial input at the back of the radio), so that's just a matter of plugging the right connections in.

For the USB connection, I took to a spur from the power supply to the powerpoint in the center console. I used these piggyback spade terminal connectors to do that without cutting any wires, and it's easy to put back to original if necessary. I've an inline fuse on the new power wire. This then powers this double USB powerpoint, which is securely and secretly mounted inside the center console (and can be easily accessed by popping off the gear stick gaiter or under the little tray behind the waterfall). The USB connection from the combined USB and aux adapter is plugged one of these ports. My magnetic charging pad (that's mounted up on the center vent) is plugged into the second USB port).

The radio did have to be disconnected to attach the FM modulator - that's the hardest part of the whole operation (and isn't that hard, just a bit tedious). There's no code required for the radio - the head unit is hard-encoded to the car.

Edit: here's a diagram of the wiring:

Thanks so much for your reply phutyle. I'm very much of the opinion that if I try to do it myself I'll cause many more problems, so I've booked it in locally to get done. Also managed to source the USB / Aux insert for the cubby on ebay so hopefully it'll look as 'factory' as possible. My idea is that instead of the RCA to 3.5mm male cable the modulator came with, I can get a RCA to 3.5mm female socket cable instead. I just need the USB for power to power the Pure aerial (the cable is a USB and aux combined so that's what I wanted the port there), so hopefully they can use the power from the rear 12v socket, as I never use that.

If it all goes to plan and works, I'll post some pictures if anyone's interested. And thanks again for your valuable info!!
The Following User Says Thank You to benk103 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 18:05   #18
domov2

Volvo AUX input adapter via Wired FM Modulator AVFM-MOD01 with Volvo aerial adapters included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0754X2P..._8ZIQCbFH9EQV9

I bought the device and installed. It works well. There is a little interference but you cant hear it once audio is playing.
domov2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infotainment, v50 1.6 drive