Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would this put you off car purchase...w

Views : 2276

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 17:46   #21
Welton
Premier Member

The long wait until the first oil change would bother me too, however it can be justified with the type of use the car has had. If the car spent the first 24K miles on the motorway then I'd be happy with the extended oil change but if it was in town with multiple hot/cold cycles then it would have benefited from additional oil service (presumably the 'intelligent' on board service computer would allow for this and tell you in good time).
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 18:55   #22
I Feel Old

If you guys knew what happens in the world where oil changes are downtime and downtime due to oil 'failure' is mega downtime and money, you would think nothing of 26K without an oil change.

In the bus, truck and plant world where the oil is getting worked, often in terrible environments such as quarries and open cast coal mines they couldn't afford to change the oil every 26K (or equivalent). And believe me they would rather change the oil than have costly machine down time.

My last new car had a 20k recommendation, I changed it at 6k since I took the view 'what's an oil change cost'?

It's a four/five year old car at the right price.

@biggbn, if you're happy the Mini is for you take your own advice:

Quote:
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Last edited by I Feel Old; Jan 17th, 2019 at 18:57.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 18:56   #23
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I can only assume as it did 26k innfirst two years it was long trips, but barely 7k a year thereafter so service triggered earlier.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:17   #24
I Feel Old

Truth is you are gong to struggle to know the finer detail of any car that is 4 or 5 years old. Even if the book is stamped how much confidence can you have the work was done?

My point is that there is risk associated with all cars this age, some of it may not be known to you, however the risk is still there. Indeed the risk of not knowing, is a risk, if you see what I mean? If everything else stacks up and the only thing you can find is a missed oil change, that has not been hidden, that could easily be a much lesser risk than in 9 out of 10 cars that age.

Nip down to some of the open cast sites in Fife and ask the guys how often they change the oil in the machines, note the dusty environment.

Tell you what, PM me the details, I might buy it.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:48   #25
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
Truth is you are gong to struggle to know the finer detail of any car that is 4 or 5 years old. Even if the book is stamped how much confidence can you have the work was done?

My point is that there is risk associated with all cars this age, some of it may not be known to you, however the risk is still there. Indeed the risk of not knowing, is a risk, if you see what I mean? If everything else stacks up and the only thing you can find is a missed oil change, that has not been hidden, that could easily be a much lesser risk than in 9 out of 10 cars that age.

Nip down to some of the open cast sites in Fife and ask the guys how often they change the oil in the machines, note the dusty environment.

Tell you what, PM me the details, I might buy it.
All good points, test driving tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:56   #26
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
If you guys knew what happens in the world where oil changes are downtime and downtime due to oil 'failure' is mega downtime and money, you would think nothing of 26K without an oil change.

In the bus, truck and plant world where the oil is getting worked, often in terrible environments such as quarries and open cast coal mines they couldn't afford to change the oil every 26K (or equivalent). And believe me they would rather change the oil than have costly machine down time.

My last new car had a 20k recommendation, I changed it at 6k since I took the view 'what's an oil change cost'?

It's a four/five year old car at the right price.

@biggbn, if you're happy the Mini is for you take your own advice:

The question there is what is the sump capasity. 5 l is a lot less than 25 when it comes to being worked hard.

A mate never changed the oil of his range rover in all the years he owned it, it leaked so much that it was on a constant oil change regime via top ups.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:58   #27
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
The question there is what is the sump capasity. 5 l is a lot less than 25 when it comes to being worked hard.

A mate never changed the oil of his range rover in all the years he owned it, it leaked so much that it was on a constant oil change regime via top ups.

Paul.
Again, great point. It's this modern move to CBS servicing. BMW are adamant this is a fsh, car tells you when it needs serviced!!
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 20:59   #28
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Aye, I take your point Paul. Nevertheless capacity is relative to engine size and how much contaminate there is around the engine to be absorbed by the oil.

You simply cannot compare 5ltrs to 25ltrs, that's a red herring.

A 16ltr V8 Scania doing 7.5mpg and hauling 44 tonnes produces a little bit more contaminate than a (1,5ltr?) Mini.

What's that? In the region of 10 times the engine capacity with maybe 7 times the fuel being burnt?

It's by no means intended as a direct comparison, just an example of what modern engine oils are capable of.

From 1996
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:42   #29
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Biggbn, get with the times . It is the modern way to have services determined by sensors. My FiL went 2 years without a service on his Fabia. It completely freaked him. He took it into the dealer after 12 months to get it serviced and they turned him away without touching it as the computer said no. His face was a picture when he came to see me about it.

I'm no mechanic but subsequent services should have sorted things out and if there had been any major issues then the dash would be lit up with warning lights.

Mini v Astra? No contest, the Mini (unless you have to carry things) You could fall asleep driving the Astra, worthy but dull.
Astra gtc coupe is stand alone model, only shares door handles and roof aerial with Astra, and suspension is derived from insignia vxr, an under the radar bargain in my opinion.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:40   #30
I Feel Old

Never mind the Astra, did you buy the Mini?