Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593774

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2019, 14:04   #1961
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
The EML can turn off on its own if the error has not reoccurred during so many restarts.

However, this is usually a short term thing as, unless it's a brief 'glitch', something is probably starting to fail.

The code will still be stored even when the lights gone off and can be read by a technician.
That was my experience prior to one of my EGR repairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 15:48   #1962
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tails View Post
will an engine warning light come on and stay on ?
or can it go back off on its own ??
Tails,

The EML will initially go on and off a few times before it comes on and stays on.

When the EML first came on, I called a local dealer to take the car in for a code reader, and I couldn't get for a Week, about 2 days later the EML went off, I cancelled the appointment with Volvo, then about a week later the EML was back on. Then it went off the day before I took it in to the local dealer, for the code read.

The car was booked in for a new EGR Cooler a week later, and a day or so after the code had been read the light was back on, and stayed on until the Cooler was finally replaced.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig S For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 21:33   #1963
vman99
Estateman

Default New Model V60

Hi, I have just finished reading the whole of this thread and found it very informative.

My question is has there been any reports of EGR problems with the new V60, which I think was first seen on "18" plate cars, or any other problems at all with this new model?

Pete.
vman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 08:23   #1964
pukka88
Yes it's a diesel!

Hi, so I also have the dreaded telltale signs!!! I purchased my 14 plate S60 d4 125k in November 2018 and had a service with the purchase. 3 weeks later had a message to top up oil 0.5, checked the oil level using the dreadful digital dash which said oil level was low on the first bar. So topped on the oil, all okay and no messages until last Thursday when the orange engine check light appeared. It did go off the other day, but back on again now. I have it booked in this Friday for the codes to be read 🤞🏻. The car has full Volvo service history.
pukka88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 11:15   #1965
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukka88 View Post
Hi, so I also have the dreaded telltale signs!!! I purchased my 14 plate S60 d4 125k in November 2018 and had a service with the purchase. 3 weeks later had a message to top up oil 0.5, checked the oil level using the dreadful digital dash which said oil level was low on the first bar. So topped on the oil, all okay and no messages until last Thursday when the orange engine check light appeared. It did go off the other day, but back on again now. I have it booked in this Friday for the codes to be read 🤞🏻. The car has full Volvo service history.
This may have nothing whatsoever to do with the EGR problem. Certainly the oil level issue is unrelated.

Get yourself an ELM327 diagnostics adaptor so you can read your own engine codes using an app on your phone. The last one I bought (a Bluetooth version) was only about £2.50 and the Torque app was free! Volvo will rob you about £50+VAT to perform diagnostics...

My 2015 VEA D4 engine went through a period of intermittently bringing on the engine warning symbol, but it wasn't to do with the EGR. My code reader gave P014c, which relates to a sooted-up oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold (another not uncommon problem with these engines) but apparently a routine DPF regen has sorted this out.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 18:33   #1966
K5 Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman99 View Post
Hi, I have just finished reading the whole of this thread and found it very informative.

My question is has there been any reports of EGR problems with the new V60, which I think was first seen on "18" plate cars, or any other problems at all with this new model?
Pete.
Pete, you'd probably be best asking over on the relevant forum ( this one's for the older XC60 and V60 ), as most folk reading here don't drive the new models.
Here's the link https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 20:22   #1967
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
This may have nothing whatsoever to do with the EGR problem. Certainly the oil level issue is unrelated.

Get yourself an ELM327 diagnostics adaptor so you can read your own engine codes using an app on your phone. The last one I bought (a Bluetooth version) was only about £2.50 and the Torque app was free! Volvo will rob you about £50+VAT to perform diagnostics...

My 2015 VEA D4 engine went through a period of intermittently bringing on the engine warning symbol, but it wasn't to do with the EGR. My code reader gave P014c, which relates to a sooted-up oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold (another not uncommon problem with these engines) but apparently a routine DPF regen has sorted this out.
Think I might get one of these OBD's as mentioned above. Firstly any recommendations on which I should buy? Secondly can they remain plugged in permanently or will that adversely affect the performance of the vehicle systems. And thirdly where's the OBD socket to be found on the VEA XC60.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 21:55   #1968
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
Think I might get one of these OBD's as mentioned above. Firstly any recommendations on which I should buy? Secondly can they remain plugged in permanently or will that adversely affect the performance of the vehicle systems. And thirdly where's the OBD socket to be found on the VEA XC60.
Mine came from the gearbest website. I've got two (one for each car glovebox) and they work fine.

Doesn't harm running to leave it in, but the diagnostic port is permanently powered so you would be very slowly draining the battery when the engine was off.

The socket is just above your right shin whilst driving. It's very easy to plug the adaptor in from sitting in the driving seat.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 10:07   #1969
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Mine came from the gearbest website. I've got two (one for each car glovebox) and they work fine.

Doesn't harm running to leave it in, but the diagnostic port is permanently powered so you would be very slowly draining the battery when the engine was off.

The socket is just above your right shin whilst driving. It's very easy to plug the adaptor in from sitting in the driving seat.
Many thanks for that. Off to buy me one right now.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 23:30   #1970
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukka88 View Post
Hi
My V60 D4 125Mkilometers need to top up oil 1 liter every 1200kilometers.
I started to top oil 0.5 l at 83000 kilometers.
I have many EGR/cooler replacement (one every year!)
I drive about 28000kms/year.
Full Volvo history....but ...
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote