Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 headlights very poor

Views : 2277

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2017, 17:42   #1
Fixiebob

Default V70 headlights very poor

Hi all

I just picked up a V70 T5 yesterday from Manchester and drove it through the night to North of Scotland, the headlights are nothing short of ****e, I would of been better off with a good torch, I noticed when I got up next day that the reflectors are dull and not really reflecting anything.

Found new ones online for £85 each so maybe get them and HID bulbs or is there a better upgrade?

Thanks Rob
Fixiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 18:43   #2
LardFather

I had the same with my V70R, drove back from well past Gatwick to Newcastle and spent the night flicking between the full beam, hoping the road was straight and swearing at cars on the opposite carriage way.

I replaced mine with projector headlights, even with standard bulbs they seem better but I have an HID kit to install and LED bulbs to try too, I'll see which I prefer.

I may be wrong but I'm sure having read it on numerous posts that you can't simply but HIDs in reflector headlights otherwise you just dazzle people as the intense light is not focused as it is in projector headlights, sadly like most good things its either costly or time consuming. I'm sure someone will either correct me or agree with me on this soon
LardFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 19:37   #3
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

If the reflective material is corroded it doesn't matter what super high power bulbs you put in they will still be poor. Best bet is to replace the headlights completely.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 20:55   #4
currymunster

Sticky back silver plastic from ebay - thats how i did mine.
Really cheap and works brilliant!!!!!
currymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to currymunster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 21:05   #5
v70cd

Hi

Have a look at this thread selling a set headlamps in Glasgow...you probably drove past his house but your lights were too dim....haha !!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264902

Good Luck

240 DL, 240 GL, 740 GLT, 440 GLT, 960 3.0CD, S40 1.6, 240GL, 240 SE, 262C Bertone, V70 T5, V70 CD TDi, C70 2.0T.
v70cd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v70cd For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 23:43   #6
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymunster View Post
Sticky back silver plastic from ebay - thats how i did mine.
Really cheap and works brilliant!!!!!
This is the stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Chr...O-qAVTm8yMCBvg

Remove light fitting from car (Wiring plug and I think it was three bolts.
Take inside and remove clips to remove lense.
Wash the whole thing but not the bulbs!!
now cut the vinyl into strips about 1 cm wide so you can get it around the curve. cover the whole of the reflector and reassemble.

it is so much better than you could imagine. MOT inspector didn't even notice.
So I told him and he said "why would it fail - the beam pattern is fine and it's just as bright as any other car.
I would do it again and again rather than fork out on new lights.
currymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to currymunster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 09:38   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

What a good work-round? And too right. How could an MOT tester fail it? It can't NOT work. Optically, if done properly, well laid and finished, it's the same. If not as good as a brand new unit, a gnat's proverbial off. I suppose if the bond goes over time, it's an issue, but just do it again.

But please don't dazzle us old duffers by adding to the lighting 'Arms-Race' that is going on with modern Xenon/ LED set-ups. If working properly, stock lights work very well.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2235551

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 29th, 2017 at 09:47.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 11:59   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
But please don't dazzle us old duffers by adding to the lighting 'Arms-Race' that is going on with modern Xenon/ LED set-ups. If working properly, stock lights work very well.
Seconded!

Some people may think that this style of light isn't dazzling, but you might not be aware that as you get older you get more sensitive to bright points of light (medical fact) and so you make it much more dangerous for older on-coming drivers than you may realise. The standard factory-fit HID/Xenon lights are bad enough, but after-market fitted ones are a nightmare.
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 15:00   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

Make sure the bulbs are seeing full voltage. Under load the voltage across the bulb pins should not be more than 0.5 Volt below battery voltage.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 15:32   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I do not get the obsession with HID lights. Why do so many drivers want to see where they have been rather than where they are going. The short distance they light on front of you is too close to be any use other than in town at low speed.
Once you are on open road with full beam then the pool of light directly in front of you makes your distance vision worse.
There is then also the fact they dazzle and do not comply with UK MOT regs as the light must be white/ yellow and not blue at all!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: