Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking to buy! V70tdi '99

Views : 1554

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 21:34   #1
BorderVolvo

Default Looking to buy! V70tdi '99

Hello,
I'm looking to buy a V70tdi, interested in one that's for sale which is a 99 model.
Whilst I've not actually viewed the car yet, the pictures I've seen look promising.
I'm looking for encouragement to make the purchase !!
What MPG can I expect from one of these..... or who out there has done a gazzilion miles to a tank of diesel?!
Engine wise, will it have the same engine as what was fitted in some Audis'?....100/A6?
Thanks in advance.

J.

And can someone say what "prefix" I should have in the title?.... is D5244T>2005 correct?
BorderVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 20:31   #2
BorderVolvo

Anyone ?
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 15:26   #3
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I've had a 1998 Tdi Auto since 2002 which has now covered 223,000 miles. Yes the engine is a 5 cylinder unit sourced from Audi with modifications by Volvo. The closest Audi version is the AEL version. About the only thing that kills these engines is cambelt failure and this is usually as a result of neglect. The dynamic pump timing is critical and it doesn't need to be off by much to have an adverse effect on starting and fuel economy.

Mine still returns about 42 mpg on a longer run but it's the automatic version and the manual transmission ones are rather better.

The air conditioning evaporators are prone to failure, most are probably dead by now or have already been replaced. It's not a pleasant job. Mine died about 10 years ago and I've yet to summon up the enthusiasm to do it. The headlamp reflectors are prone to dulling and the only satisfactory way of dealing with it is replacement.

Otherwise, if it's been well looked after, they're fairly vice free.

I also have a 2008 V70 2.4D auto and in some ways I prefer the older car.

If it's sensible money, I'd be tempted to go for it.

Hope this is of some help.

Martin

Last edited by Martin Cox; Oct 20th, 2018 at 15:27. Reason: Typos
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 15:30   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

The correct engine designation is D5252T; it's not a D5 which is Volvo's own 5 cylinder diesel.

Martin
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 20:07   #5
BorderVolvo

That sounds like good advise.
Thanks for taking the time Martin, I was beginning to think nobody here was interested in the older diesels?
In what ways do you prefer the older V70?
I've just lost out on 2 cars that both looked very good, one on ebay and the other on Autotrader……… but I've only just started looking in the last few weeks and that's 2 so far that have come up so hopefully I'll find something soon. Both cars were under £1k …..a lot of car for not much cash.

The search continues.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 22:12   #6
Tamworthbay

Just bought one and have spent a good bit getting it right. ‘Small water leak - loose hose clip’ turned out to be a knackered water pump. Changing the pump, belts and associated bits took me and a mate 10 hours with a two post lift bit wasn’t complicated really, just time consuming to do right. Would have been quicker if it wasn’t full of k seal type crap which took an age to flush out. Door hold on passenger side needs repair -common problem, some grot on one rear chassis leg, saggy rear tailgate, few electrical niggles to sort. But it’s a good old barge and will do 60mpg on a run and is presently averaging 43mpg with a lot of round town driving in that. It’s just shy of 240000 miles at present.
Tamworthbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 23:20   #7
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I think there is a fair amount of interest in these older diesels and there are some real experts with a lot of knowledge and experience who contribute regularly to this forum. That said, the youngest of these cars is nearly 20 years old and compared with the more modern diesels, their numbers are small and getting smaller. Even in their day, I believe their petrol counterparts were more popular and considerably outnumbered the diesels.

Some genuine parts have now been discontinued but generally the supply of aftermarket parts is reasonable.

There are a few stock faults which are well documented on the forum and a search will usually produce a fix or a work-around.

In no particular order and by nomeans exclusive:

ABS module problems. usually cured by resoldering the connectors internally.
Aircon losing gas. Often the evaporator fails. Not a nice job to replace it.
Aircon runs for a few minutes at first then stops. Compressor clutch gap too wide. Can be reshimmed.
Odd electrical goings on. Often associated with the electrical switch part of the ignition key.
Clattering from the top of the engine that disappears when the brake pedal is pressed. Brake vacuum pump. Usually just annoying rather than of any great consequence and can often be reduced or eliminated by a good internal clean.
Mystery flat battery. Microswitches in the doors not operating correctly and leaving the red marker lights on unseen.

So what do I like about the older V70?

I find the visibility considerably better but then this is true of almost any older car compared with their more modern counterparts.

The automatic transmission on the newer car although doubtless more efficient doesn't seem as responsive as the older box and I find the older car more pleasant to drive around town.

It has a proper handbrake rather than the electric gizmo on the newer car.

I find it a more involving drive whereas in the newer car I feel a little detached from the process. This could be familiarity, since I don't drive the new V70 that often.

The reason I have two V70s is that the cambelt failed about two years ago on the Tdi. I never found a convincing reason why and it was certainly within time and mileage limits. Realistically it was uneconomic to repair but I am rather fond of the car and it was far too good to scrap. I repaired it myself but it took me about 8 months, principally because of other commitments so the newer V70 was bought for day to day use with the older car becoming a hobby car although it is still used regularly.

Hope this is of some help and interest.

Martin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 01:58   #8
c_lee
VOC26332

Arrow

I wonder how many of these V70 ( or 850 ) TDI's remain on the road these days.

They were quite an expensive car when new in their day.

I have one that Iv'e had for a few years now and it has just passed its MOT at just shy of 216,000 miles.

Mine is an automatic and the only major problem I have had is regarding the ( sealed for life - ??? ) auto box which I had to change about 4 years ago at about 187,000.

I did that auto box change myself so it was relatively cheap cash wise - time wise it took a while but, on reflection, was well worth it.

I tow with mine and have an additional ATF cooler fitted since the auto box change.

I didn't have any doubts about towing my caravan to the South of France about 18 months ago and covered 2,640 miles overall in 6 weeks and at 29 MPG tank to tank over the whole trip, that being mostly motorway towing at speed.
On saying that, I did have a minor breakdown on the Auto-route in the Massif Central which I was able to fix by the roadside off the motorway.

Being almost 20 years old it does have a few cosmetic scars but that doesn't impact on the comfort and flexibility.

We'll be continental touring with the caravan again next year for the 4th year.

I keep thinking I should attend to the scars as the V70 in red looks great when really well looked after but I'm not sure I have the bodywork skills required.

I don't plan to change soon.

Colin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 10:02   #9
huron
Master Member

From 2013
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70 Tdi auto.jpg (47.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg V70 Tdi manual.jpg (48.8 KB, 16 views)
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 13:46   #10
BorderVolvo

Thanks folks,
Some good info above. I really hope they're not so rare that I'll not find a decent one, sometimes as a car gets older and it's value drops it can end up in the hands of someone who'll just use and abuse it and then discard it?
I appreciate I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market but I really do hope a decent one's out there which will be on the market soon?!

Hey ho.